What is the 1 rifle you regretted buying or wished you never had bought?

Howa 7mag. Worst gun i ever owned. Nothing would shoot accurately out of it.

Weatherby Vangard, 1st gen (Howa) in 243 Win.
Bought for my daughter to hunt with.
First 3 rounds within the advertised 1" at 100 yards.
After that groups opened up exponentially, litterally!
Let cool for 2 hours. No good.
Only after letting it sit overnight would it do 1" group. And only once.
Free floated barrel, put pressure in forestock, bedded action, changed scopes, let someone else shoot it.
Nothing worked!
She traded it for a Bowtech Infinite Edge.

I sorely want a 257 Weatherby! But it won't be in the form of a Vangard!

Another vote for Kimber Hunter. Never did get it to group as promised. Replaced it with a Tikka T3 and haven’t looked back. Both in 30-06. The Tikka is a tack driver with all of the same ammo the Kimber wouldn’t shoot.

Several years back, bought a Browning BAR Mark II Safari top grade wood in 7mmRemMag for the sole purpose of thinking it would be a cool gun to take to a long dreamed of hunting trip to South Africa that was still several indeterminate years in the future. A number of years later when I finally got to planning the details and setting a date, I discovered I couldn't bring that rifle along as it was a semi-auto and not currently allowed to import into SA for hunting. So I sold it this winter. In the end, no harm, no foul, but it was a silly thing to do - buy a pricey gun for a specific task only to find it ineligible from the start.

Worst gun ever was my first rifle I bought when I turned 18. Bought it at a gun show. It was a 6.5 Italian Carcano with a "genuine" Oswald scope mounted to it. I paid $29 for it in 1968. The scope had crosshairs which moved independently from each other. It shot terrible, couldn't hit a 4X8 piece of plywood at 50 yards. Glad it's gone. Gave me more reason to believe there was more than one shooter in the Kennedy assassination if Oswald really shot a 6.5 Carcano.

I once bought a TC Icon. It was a beautiful, accurate rifle, but it was the purchase that made me realize how much rifle weight matters to me. That thing felt like it weighed 20 pounds. I hunted with it for one season and then sold it.

Worst gun ever was my first rifle I bought when I turned 18. Bought it at a gun show. It was a 6.5 Italian Carcano with a "genuine" Oswald scope mounted to it. I paid $29 for it in 1968. The scope had crosshairs which moved independently from each other. It shot terrible, couldn't hit a 4X8 piece of plywood at 50 yards. Glad it's gone. Gave me more reason to believe there was more than one shooter in the Kennedy assassination if Oswald really shot a 6.5 Carcano.
My grandad had two 6.5 Italian Carcanos. The first was a shooter and was his deer rifle for a while, but eventually was stolen in a break-in. He bought another to replace it that ended up being much like the one you're talking about: couldn't hit the side of a hog barn. I remember sneaking into his room as a kid to look at his guns and lusted over those pointy bullets with the red ballistic tips that I swore were tracers. :LOL:

Howa 7mag. Worst gun i ever owned. Nothing would shoot accurately out of it.
I bought a Howa 1500 in .308 at a DU banquet in the live auction. Overpayed but don't mind that so much. I can't get anything to shoot out of mine either. Sits in the safe for the most part. I may try and trade it on something else someday.

Not a rifle, but I bought a Stoeger P350 shotgun that I had to send back to the factory 5 times under warranty. I sold it after the last trip back to recoup the all the shipping costs.

Bought a Remington 700 Mountain LSS in 270 when I first started hunting out west. Beautiful gun, horrible groups with every type of ammo I tried. Sold it and bought a Browning A Bolt Titanium in 308, which has been my go to for pretty much everything. Worst experience with a shotgun was a Remington too. Disappointing as I have an early 700 BDL that shoots lights out and was really hoping the LSS would be the same.

Weatherby Vangard, 1st gen (Howa) in 243 Win.
Bought for my daughter to hunt with.
First 3 rounds within the advertised 1" at 100 yards.
After that groups opened up exponentially, litterally!
Let cool for 2 hours. No good.
Only after letting it sit overnight would it do 1" group. And only once.
Free floated barrel, put pressure in forestock, bedded action, changed scopes, let someone else shoot it.
Nothing worked!
She traded it for a Bowtech Infinite Edge.

I sorely want a 257 Weatherby! But it won't be in the form of a Vangard!
My 243 Vanguard shoots extremely well, and it's my daughter's rifle too.

Actually, all my Vanguards shoot very well. I have yet to own one that didn't.

Savage 116 in 25-06. Never could get it to shoot. Savage rifles are normally very accurate. Sold it to a gunsmith who wanted the action for a custom build.

Remington 710 in 30-06. Bought it while I was in college, not knowing much better and not having enough money to do anything different. It shot okay and I killed several deer and two elk with it. But the bolt would sometimes pull all the way out when cycling and it had its other faults. Replaced with a stainless Tikka in 300wm and have been happy ever since.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back