What is the 1 rifle you regretted buying or wished you never had bought?

I had a couple of rifles just like that early in my career. I must admit at that time they could have been more the wizard than the wand, lol.
Wasn't early in my career, and I tried multiple reloads, factory ammo, etc. It was bought second hand. Kinda guessed why it got sold. I also cleaned it meticulously and shot it fouled not much of a difference.. It pretty much was a boat anchor.. Also even shot it with the iron sights, didn't help. Best groups it ever shot were in the 4 inch range at 100 yrds.,

My first rifle, Remington 742 in -06. I bartered some work and a little cash for it, and liked it to start. One day at the range it jammed, so I dropped the mag and tried to clear the chamber, and when the bolt closed it slam fired. Got rid of it to a gunsmith, then in a twist I inherited another 742 in -06, but it was in pieces and went down the road without being fired.

A couple of the custom guns I've had built over the years ended up being regretted when the project creep brought the cost over the performance gain. But lesson learned on those, I know what I want in a hunting rifle now and won't make those mistakes again.

Old Ruger 77 in 7mag. Looked great. Kicked like a mule. Couldn’t get it to shoot anything. Had it bedded, crown recut, decelerations installed & trigger tuned - no help. Dumped it and bought a browning that shoots well under an inch. I don’t think I’ll buy another ruger centerfire rifle.

Ruger Mini-30. Nothing but trouble. Wasn't even overly fun to shoot it was so inaccurate. Tried messing with the gas block, the optics, the base, the bedding, ... GAR-BAGE.

Add another 7400, mine groups fine but too much money for all the single shot action it has given.

I love my Model 70, but I wish I had bought a .270 instead of a 270WSM.

Sako 85’s.

Boldface/extractor/ejection. One rifle almost works properly, the other basically does after I modified it.

A very poor design.

A Remington 700 Classic in .375 H&H. I bought it with dreams of taking it to Africa, several year before my first trip there. I'm a bolt action guy and I like a clean barrel without iron sights. I also had thoughts of re-chambering it to Ackley Improved, and the factory LOP was too short so I planned to re-stock it like I have done with most of my other rifles.

I kept that rifle for several years w/o shooting it or even mounting a scope on it and I finally decided to get rid of it and buy a rifle closer to what I wanted. So I ended up trading it at a gun show for a Rem 541 T .22 LR which I had also wanted for many years. And several years later I bought a new SS Rem 700 in .375 RUM that I put in a laminated stock that fits me and ended up taking it on two African hunts.

Thompson Omega. It felt great, shouldered well, and was reliable. It just couldn’t shoot conicals.

Remington 1100 .410.... what a piece of crap. Sold it and traded it for a Citori lightning .410... I love that gun.

I bought a flintlock muzzleloader with designs of hunting our late flintlock deer season. Never could get used to it. After months of practice, I may have been able to hit a suburban at 50 yards. Maybe. I was quite happy to sell that one.
I had a single shot 10ga turkey gun that every time I shot it I had to go into the concussion protocol. That went too.
I still have a Thompson Center Encore that I can't get to shoot under 2" except with the muzzleloader barrel. I've sold one rifle barrel and will probably get rid of the other ones and keep what is essentially as $750 inline.
My wife bought a Remington 700ADL in 308. For some reason that thing kicked like a fiend and had a warped stock so after mounting 2 scopes and shooting it enough to get PTSD, we got rid of it.

One that I regret lately is a Weatherby Vanguard First Lite in 300wm. I have used probably close to 2lbs of powder trying to get it to shoot even close to a inch. Tried every load imaginable. Finally worked up and down a load with partitions and just settled on a 1.7 inch group being about the best I'm ever going to squeeze out of it. Thought about changing out the stock but after bedding the action and stiffening the stock with very little improvement I think I'm just going to take a loss on it and send it home with somebody else soon. I wanted so bad to love that rifle too.

I purchased a cheap hunting rifle for my first rifle ( Remington 770). It was a .270 win and it shot straight but good luck feeding shells. Only good thing I got from it was my first deer and a respect for a .270 win. I still own the rifle because I can' t bring myself to selling that hunk of metal to anyone and feel good about it. My question is this, I don't care what the reason was but what is the one rifle you wish you never would have purchased and why?

Watch the first 2 and a half minutes. Great solution to the sticky bolt. Had the same deal with my 770. You’ll probably keep it and use it more after a little work.

The only one I’ve bought and regretted was a Ruger M77 30-06, with a skeleton stock. Hunted with it for a few years and ended up selling it for What I paid for it.

Ruger LC9. I ordered one when it first came out. I thought I could look past some of the dumbshit safety features. The loaded chamber indicator, magazine disconnect, and the 8# pound trigger pull finally wore me down and I sold it.

Watch the first 2 and a half minutes. Great solution to the sticky bolt. Had the same deal with my 770. You’ll probably keep it and use it more after a little work.

Like that video but the guy drives me crazy jacking out fired rounds and letting them fall where they may. I've got this thing about rounds from a CF bolt action rifle landing anywhere but my hand! Never ever hit the ground! But really good video is an understatement to me!

Almost forgot. Hands down worst rifle I ever bought was a Rem mod 7 when they first came out. Never ever get another! Next was a Rem mod 700ADL I got as a present. Plastic stock and couldn't hit a watermelon at 50 yds with it. Completely rebeeded the stock full length and it shot great. Lot of work though! It's in a wood stock now!

Back