What in the heck is going on with Country music?

Willie & Johnny broke down the walls from the old guard in the 50's, Kristofferson did it in the 60's by incorporating protest & folk songs. We had the Nashville greats like Loretta & Conway for the AM crowd, and the Outlaws for the FM set. The 80's had some really talented folks like George Strait, but I think country music peaked between 1950 & 1979, personally. The Red Dirt folks have some excellent chops, and it's fun music, but to me it's more Americana than country or western.

Then there's western. Bob Wills, Sons of the Pioneers, Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, etc. Chris Ledoux was probably the last great western artist.

Edit: And then there's Mrs Dolly Parton - one of America's best songwriters in any venue. That lady has an amazing catalog of hits, misses and just damned good songs.

Yeah, that whole Outlaw highwayman thing was when it was officially dead. Factory-new and shiny polished, but dead. Kristofferson's first two albums were great though, that is true.

Of course we can pick out individual acts across six decades that stand out against the grain, but that doesn't really change much. The scene was a weird, flashy and rhinestoney zombie by the late 60s and it never recovered. It just turned into south and western-themed pop rock (and then weirdly into R&B).

I don't intend to be one of those "music was better back in the day" types, because I'm not really like that, but the authenticity of the folk/country/western/southern/whatever music just didn't carry on into the 70s. The slimy industry CEOs and producers weren't in for the best intentions by any means, and the "wall breakers" had the unintended side-effect of creating a scene where any doofus with a strong jawline and a vaguely (or cartoonishly) southern accent could be a hit country star. This is not a recipe for amazing, original, from-the-heart music. This is the recipe for Sturgill Simpson and whoever does that body like a backroad song. It's also the recipe for that song about the hair in her face, just make sure to add a can of corn, lol.

I've enjoyed the likes of Marty Robbins, Patsy and Hank with my grandfather, the likes of the Oak Ridge Boys, Allman Brothers and Kenny Rogers with my dad, I enjoyed the likes of Alabama, Garth and Sawyer Brown and now I enjoy Luke Combs, Eric Church and Morgan Wallen with my son. It all has its place...even Luke

I grew up on 90s and early 2000s country music, George Straight, Shania Twain, Brooks and Dunn, Kenny Chesney, Alen Jackson, ect. Even into the later 2000s we had the early Luke Bryan, Josh Turner, and Brantly Gilbert. Now we have crap like Chris Stapleton and Walker Hayes whimpering and whining. What in the heck happened to Country music?
I agree and disagree with you. I'll give you credit though. There are 8 pages of replies on this thread in less than 18 hours. Only @Big Fin can get this kind of attention. :)

Reject modernity! Embrace classic folk and country!*

*return to monke optional

Yeah, that whole Outlaw highwayman thing was when it was officially dead. Factory-new and shiny polished, but dead. Kristofferson's first two albums were great though, that is true.

Of course we can pick out individual acts across six decades that stand out against the grain, but that doesn't really change much. The scene was a weird, flashy and rhinestoney zombie by the late 60s and it never recovered. It just turned into south and western-themed pop rock (and then weirdly into R&B).

I don't intend to be one of those "music was better back in the day" types, because I'm not really like that, but the authenticity of the folk/country/western/southern/whatever music just didn't carry on into the 70s. The slimy industry CEOs and producers weren't in for the best intentions by any means, and the "wall breakers" had the unintended side-effect of creating a scene where any doofus with a strong jawline and a vaguely (or cartoonishly) southern accent could be a hit country star. This is not a recipe for amazing, original, from-the-heart music. This is the recipe for Sturgill Simpson and whoever does that body like a backroad song. It's also the recipe for that song about the hair in her face, just make sure to add a can of corn, lol.

I'd buy ya a beer for that.

Geddy said:
One likes to believe in the freedom of music
But glittering prizes and endless compromises
Shatter the illusion of integrity, yeah
Actually i believe Neil Pert wrote those words.

Willie & Johnny broke down the walls from the old guard in the 50's, Kristofferson did it in the 60's by incorporating protest & folk songs. We had the Nashville greats like Loretta & Conway for the AM crowd, and the Outlaws for the FM set. The 80's had some really talented folks like George Strait, but I think country music peaked between 1950 & 1979, personally. The Red Dirt folks have some excellent chops, and it's fun music, but to me it's more Americana than country or western.

Then there's western. Bob Wills, Sons of the Pioneers, Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, etc. Chris Ledoux was probably the last great western artist.

Edit: And then there's Mrs Dolly Parton - one of America's best songwriters in any venue. That lady has an amazing catalog of hits, misses and just damned good songs.
Ben, one of the first songs I knew and sang was San Antonio rose Patsy Cline

most folks dont think of Bing Crosby when they think of country but him and the Andrew sisters sang Pistol Packing mama .

Ben, it was funny back in those days when we got to go to town and see a movie, even John Wayne movies had sons of the pioneers singing in them and of course Roy and Dale sang a couple songs between shooting the bad guys in their movies :)

As mentioned earlier I like some of the 1940 artist's, but I always kept an open mind and ear and glad I did, as I truly enjoyed many artist thru the years

A group that hasn't been mentioned opened many shows for Johhny Cash --The Statler Bros. I also liked the Oakridge Boys, but they came later

Ken, those were my thoughts as well about the Chicks--thank you

Interesting thread and a couple new ones mentioned I need to give a listen too--thanks

This thread began yesterday now158 posts. If that doesn't say "Country" music isn't going through its transitional generation adjustment / adaptation... well, here's to beer, X's, and mending fences! Missed pick up trucks, muh dog, oh and chew - in there somewhere though still working on my lyrics. ;)

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtJohn1234
Back