What in the heck is going on with Country music?

I don't know if Sturgil Simpson is still recovering from the ruptured vocal chord and/or burnout. He's stated that he most likely won't solo again but hasn't ruled out a band.

....don't think he's finished.
I'm pretty sure he said from the beginning that he was only going to put out 5 true albums and he was done.

I'll play the contrarian again. Today's country music isn't bad, it's actually pretty good, and you're just doing what every person before you has done and complain about the "new"

I dare you to take a break from country radio, like several months long, maybe a year, clear you mind of preconceived ideas. Then put on the best of Blake Shelton, who is mostly certainly main stream, and actually listen to the songs. I'd bet 90% of us agree they're not bad. They may not fit into your preferred mold of what country should be, but they're still good. Remember, people complained about Garth too.
There was a period of about 10 years where it was all utterly terrible but I agree that some of the stuff on the radio now isn't that bad. Some of it still is though.

Doesn't really matter as much to me though with how little I listen to the radio. Streaming makes it easy to find the stuff you like.

I'm pretty sure he said from the beginning that he was only going to put out 5 true albums and he was done.
Yes, and he's been quite the troubled outspoken artistic genius...I hope he misses the dough and fanfare soon though.

There was a period of about 10 years where it was all utterly terrible but I agree that some of the stuff on the radio now isn't that bad. Some of it still is though.

Doesn't really matter as much to me though with how little I listen to the radio. Streaming makes it easy to find the stuff you like.
Well I tell you what... I used to think that song "Heads Carolina Tails California" was bad. But I just found myself telling my kids how much better it is that the stupid Cole Swindell song, so I played the original to my kids, thought, you know, that's actually a pretty good song about adolescent angst and gettin' the heck out of your small town. Both my kids preferred the new one.

unwatchable? As in on TV? Because the guy won entertainer of the year 7 times, and more people have went to see him live than any other country act by almost an order of magnitude.
And you make a good point. Obviously, a LOT of people like him and his style, but I am not one of them. Like others, I like some of his music but not his shows. But he is not the only one for me. As some here know, I admit Carrie and even Taylor can sing, but I dont listen to their music. But some do, as they have sold a lot of records and received a lot of awards, as has Garth. Just not my cup of tea, but they seem to be doing just fine without my support (-:

I'll play the contrarian again. Today's country music isn't bad, it's actually pretty good, and you're just doing what every person before you has done and complain about the "new"
and again, you are not wrong

I remember, when some called it "hillbilly" music, "singing cowboys", --rockabilly, outlaw, country rock, and some I liked and some I didn't, now and then.

Neffa3, does this make any sense or have I taken too many pills this A.M. (-:

Well I tell you what... I used to think that song "Heads Carolina Tails California" was bad. But I just found myself telling my kids how much better it is that the stupid Cole Swindell song, so I played the original to my kids, thought, you know, that's actually a pretty good song about adolescent angst and gettin' the heck out of your small town. Both my kids preferred the new one.
You make a valid point.

I spent summer evenings as an eight year old, standing next to Grandma's phonograph swapping between Hank William's Sr., Lefty Frizzell, and Johnny Horton. When the radio, WKKQ AM, played those "new guys," Grandpa would mumble about that Conway Twitty dude as some sort of Elvis wanna be and how that jailbird Merle Haggard guy should be put back in San Quentin. He also had some strong feelings about that Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings and Kris Kristofferson bullchit. Now, his grandson, 50 years later, finds that Haggard guy to be one of his all-time favorites.

Yes, and he's been quite the troubled outspoken artistic genius...I hope he misses the dough and fanfare soon though.
I couldn't do that new album where he entered a new genre. The old stuff was fantastic though.

That Walker Hays guy is one of those that isn't my cup of tea but he's got the WT crowd locked down with the trying to keep his daughter off the pole and his son out of jail stuff. I find myself laughing at it and thinking he's making some dough off that and Applebees so to each his own. Careful if you listen b/c it's kinda catchy. Not only fans catchy but it'll get stuck in your head after a couple suds.

I couldn't do that new album where he entered a new genre. The old stuff was fantastic though.

Sound & Fury? That was the peak of his burnout. Allegedly- he was contracted to put out an album, and was so fed up with the industry at large that he decided to make a slightly funky, “breakup” rock album, that was essentially his break up with the music industry. I absolutely love it for what it is- but country, it ain’t

There is very few artists who are marketed as country these days that I listen to but this guy is one of the best in my opinion.

a little divorce medicine> You know why divorce costs so much??? Me " because its worth it"

Gary Stewart's bodyguard was a friend of mine in my early thirties. I don't know how Stewart lived as long as he did. Loved his body of work.

Gary Stewart's bodyguard was a friend of mine in my early thirties. I don't know how Stewart lived as long as he did. Loved his body of work.
My brother made a statement the other day that I believe there is some truth to. He said “ man them old country guys could sing like they did because they were such broken people. “ The stuff Waylon, Merle, Johnny Cash and since we are talking about him Gary Stewart as well had been through in life made them the way they were. I think it’s a completely different kind of person who comes up the hard way working gigs that don’t pay well in smoke filled bars and surviving so much heartache and struggle to make it than it is just being a guy who makes Tik Tok videos and gets signed to a record deal or wins American idol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back