What in the heck is going on with Country music?

Those of us who think country music was dead on the inside by the early 70s are even worse off. Honest country music died with the Louisiana Hayride.

People who keep insisting that Sturgill Simpson and Tyler Childers or whatever his name is have a "classic" sound... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edit: I've been trying like hell to get a copy of a single Slim Dusty song called Springtime on the Range for several years now, and cannot access it in the United States. Any international HTers out there wanna help out? I'd owe ya
Be thankful for Sturgis coz that's as good as it's gonna get...

Those of us who think country music was dead on the inside by the early 70s are even worse off. Honest country music died with the Louisiana Hayride.

People who keep insisting that Sturgill Simpson and Tyler Childers or whatever his name is have a "classic" sound... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edit: I've been trying like hell to get a copy of a single Slim Dusty song called Springtime on the Range for several years now, and cannot access it in the United States. Any international HTers out there wanna help out? I'd owe ya

Willie & Johnny broke down the walls from the old guard in the 50's, Kristofferson did it in the 60's by incorporating protest & folk songs. We had the Nashville greats like Loretta & Conway for the AM crowd, and the Outlaws for the FM set. The 80's had some really talented folks like George Strait, but I think country music peaked between 1950 & 1979, personally. The Red Dirt folks have some excellent chops, and it's fun music, but to me it's more Americana than country or western.

Then there's western. Bob Wills, Sons of the Pioneers, Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, etc. Chris Ledoux was probably the last great western artist.

Edit: And then there's Mrs Dolly Parton - one of America's best songwriters in any venue. That lady has an amazing catalog of hits, misses and just damned good songs.

Last edited:
I recently theorized "Everybody likes Chris Stapleton, it's like a law of nature or something..." after introducing his music to my BIL.

The start of this thread has left me disillusioned and confused... o_O

Guess I put too much value on actually being able to write your own music, sing without autotune, and play a musical instrument...

Some other interesting artists introduced to me in this thread though.

Such judgement fellas...

Nothing produced after 1980 is real country, and anyone who disagrees should be shunned.

1.) I enjoy the hell out of Rush but I abide by the rules, smoke. THIS ISN'T NAM!

2.) I'm open to hearing real country produced after 1980. I didn't say there wasn't anything good, I said that the heyday was during a certain period when extremely talented artists were making good music and pushing the edge of their style.

3.) Now you're a dork too.

Stapleton is good, BUT whenever someone says "I like REAL country, not that fake crap," so you ask "Me too, who do you like?"

The response is always "uhh... you know... guys like uh... Chris Stapleton"

1024.jpg

1.) I enjoy the hell out of Rush but I abide by the rules, smoke. THIS ISN'T NAM!

2.) I'm open to hearing real country produced after 1980. I didn't say there wasn't anything good, I said that the heyday was during a certain period when extremely talented artists were making good music and pushing the edge of their style.

3.) Now you're a dork too.

Agree on all counts. Except for the openness to hearing it. I burned that bridge when they labeled Florida Georgia Line country.

8/18/21. The last music my dad listened to in the ICU was Slim Dusty, then he passed.

A taste I did not inherit, but it By God worked for him.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YellowCreek
Back