Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

What in the heck is going on with Country music?

LOL, I thought country went to sh*t in the nineties, but now that is apparently when it was real. I conclude that country music is in a constant state of decay where each generation thinks they caught the last of its prime :D

I love McMurtry, Childers, Steeldrivers, etc, but they aren’t country, even by country’s own standards which I guess lumps them into Americana.
The 90s were def the start of when country started to get super gimmicky, look no further than Shania Twain.

I met my fiancé on bumble, and my profile bio said nothing other than “Fu** Florida Georgia Line.” That’s how I know she’s a real one.

Current country is rap for white people that are scared of black people.
There is an interesting “Explained” show about country music on Netflix. Sounds like a few rappers in cowboy hats got the decision makers all confused :D

I’ve noticed that every generation says this about most genres. The 70s were better then the 80s. 80s better then the 90s etc. It’s actually pretty funny. With the internet and smart phones today there is zero reason not to listen to what you like. I’m an audiobook guy but I do listen to country too being from the south. I find it interesting you put Luke Bryan in the “good” catergory and Chris Stapleton in the “crap” category. That’s wild.

Not really arguing for or against, but just the curiosity in me. If you (or me) would hear Willie's music (or Waylon, or whoever) but disguised in some way so that you wouldn't recognize it as Willie, would you say "This is good stuff," or, "That isn't how Willie did it?"

QQ
Do you mean disguise it like this?

Not really arguing for or against, but just the curiosity in me. If you (or me) would hear Willie's music (or Waylon, or whoever) but disguised in some way so that you wouldn't recognize it as Willie, would you say "This is good stuff," or, "That isn't how Willie did it?"

QQ
Hard to say. There was some good songwriting involved for sure. Waylon's baritone and Willie's phrasing were unmistakable as well as their guitar licks and tone.

If you want to deepen your knowledge of Country, I highly recommend the podcast Cocaine and Rhinestones. It's really incredibly well done.

I grew up on late 80s early 90s country. I think there's always been shit and always good stuff. The problem nowadays is country radio only plays the chit, where 30 years ago they at least played the good stuff. But who needs radio anymore? You play the type of music you like nowadays over the wire.

I saw George Strait a few weeks ago, and when he sang a Conway Twitty song, it was country and beautiful. The fellow who does the aforementioned podcast claims country music died at the moment George Strait and Alan Jackson sang , "Murder on Music Row". That was over 20 years ago. Also, a few years back I went to a concert at which Florida Georgia Line and Nelly performed together. I don't think it was country, but I had fun listening to the songs I first heard when I was 15. In fact we were surrounded by 15 year olds, and I felt sorry for them because they couldn't drink enough beer to make the music listen-to-able.

Last edited:
The pop country artist's are just following a trend that sells albums and fills concerts. The most successful ones figure out the formula and ride that horse into the ground. Every song repeats 4 or 5 of the same elements that were popular on their previous song.The profitable"country" audience has changed and they're cashing on that change.

I thought this guy showed some promise

And this wasn't bad up to the point where the dorks started shooting up tvs in the woods.

Now he's dead to me. 😁

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back