Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

What happens if a G Bear claims your kill?

Does anyone here hang their meat 15-20 feet off the ground and a full 4' away from the trunk every time they kill an elk? It's a great idea, but I have just about never killed an animal where this was feasible. I subscribe to the theory that a hang that is subpar gives a false sense of security.
When I'm out west it's hard for me to even find trees that would allow for this, let alone pull it off.

Does anyone here hang their meat 15-20 feet off the ground and a full 4' away from the trunk every time they kill an elk? It's a great idea, but I have just about never killed an animal where this was feasible. I subscribe to the theory that a hang that is subpar gives a false sense of security.
I cut a long ass lodgpole, roped it to a tree at the top of a small embankment, tied all the meat to one side, then three of use stood on the other end, lifted it a good 12 feet off the ground, tied it off. Felt like a master of physics...

for about 13 seconds, before it all fell down. I stand by the idea, but with a few design modifications.

I cut a long ass lodgpole, roped it to a tree at the top of a small embankment, tied all the meat to one side, then three of use stood on the other end, lifted it a good 12 feet off the ground, tied it off. Felt like a master of physics...

for about 13 seconds, before it all fell down. I stand by the idea, but with a few design modifications.
You sir, have a distinct upper management future.....

I would leave if I had this situation, personally.

I was just in a grizzly infested place, alone, had to run g bears out of camp on day 3. Killed a critter mid-afternoon day 4, quartered it with my head on a swivel, carried all the meat 1/4 mile away where I could see it from 1000 yards away (no trees to hang it) and left about an hour before dark. No bear activity the next morning, so I moved it to a better cache 2 miles away and commenced packing it out to the truck. If a bear had claimed any portion during that process, it was all theirs. I saw 9 bears in 5 days, all but one were grizzlies.

I was just in a grizzly infested place, alone, had to run g bears out of camp on day 3. Killed a critter mid-afternoon day 4, quartered it with my head on a swivel, carried all the meat 1/4 mile away where I could see it from 1000 yards away (no trees to hang it) and left about an hour before dark. No bear activity the next morning, so I moved it to a better cache 2 miles away and commenced packing it out to the truck. If a bear had claimed any portion during that process, it was all theirs. I saw 9 bears in 5 days, all but one were grizzlies.
Holy sh!tb@llz

I'd like to hear more about that trip... that's intense.

Please update if you like or dislike that one. Can't find too much info on it.
It was meh...

Not sure how much was similar to other systems as this was the only one I've used. Setup took a while since we were being careful not to twist the line (probably shouldn't have worried about it), aluminum poles were a bit too flexible, so I ended up also getting a set of twist in insulators to thread into trees. I definitely did not get the amount of use that they say you should get. I talked to the owner and he basically blamed the batteries, even though I bought the exact ones they specify, and have never had a bad AA in my life (that I know of). But in the end it certainly worked fine... I think. It does alarm when the battery is low, which is nice.

I've never had a problem with any bear wanting an animal I shot. But for sure your well back in there and a bear shows up I'm not gonna run off and leave the meat! Problem with many prediator's out there, they have entered civilization or you have entered wilderness. I think you purchase a tag to go into wildnerest to hunt and shoot a rabbit I'm sure not gonna allow a bear, lion, coyote or what ever to relieve me of it without a fight.

The risk you take hunting in country with preditors that might want your kill. It's you and what you consider the intruder and your call at that time. Of course the preditor wherever you are believes you to be the intruder! Maybe you are!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back