PEAX Equipment

What Chainsaw Do You Run?

I love chainsaws.. have owned quite a few different ones over the years, but od i could only own 1current production saw id would likely be
Stihl 362 for general use.
I use one every day for my job at the city, they are great. For my own business I purchased a Husky 562 xp. For the same weight the speed and efficiency in which it cuts is spectacular. The newer saws have a computer chip in them for emissions reason, invented by husky, and shared to Stihl because of Canadian law, at least initially. Husky has mastered the newer chipped saws where as the stills are lagging behind slightly. As stated above though, unless you are using it in a professional setting you will never notice the difference.

***A very sharp chain is more important than the best saw on the market every day!

I just have a little Stihl MS170, which usually works pretty well for camp firewood and light road clearing duties. It did not work when faced with 5 hours of cutting though deadfall on the road in to camp after a freak storm. I’m in the market for something with more horsepower.

Husqvarna Combi Oil and Fuel Can 580 75 42-01 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T031DAE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_.ofYFbW8YVSFA

Looks like $70 is the going rate

Stihl MS 251 C-BE for clearing roads and cutting firewood for the year. The "easy to start" feature saves my shoulder a lot of pain.

Husqvarna Combi Oil and Fuel Can 580 75 42-01 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T031DAE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_.ofYFbW8YVSFA

Looks like $70 is the going rate
Mine is pre EPA pour spout. 👍

I love chainsaws.. have owned quite a few different ones over the years, but od i could only own 1current production saw id would likely be
Stihl 362 for general use.
That is a great saw used a few of them and an older 361 for a few years at an old job. Not a terrible saw to lug around all day but would let you do some heavy cutting when it was needed too.

Last edited:
The echos are actually coming along pretty well, a couple guys in the industry prefer them. The biggest difference from a professional standpoint is longevity and ease of finding replacement parts quickly. For a homeowner there are very little differences between saws. For those of us that use saws 40+ hours a week, plastic parts break quickly, weight/power ratios are calculated regularly to reduce risk of injury, and the more expensive saws usually have better stabilizers and vibration reducers.
Interesting. One of the first things I noticed about this saw when using it is almost zero vibration - very pleasant to operate in that regard! All the cheap saws I've used previously vibrate a lot and arms are numb up to the elbows after a 1/2 day of work.

I've already posted on this but have some updates. My Husky 576 is still my main firewood production saw with the ease of cutting through big fir and larch. My Stihl 038 still runs fine but they have stopped producing parts and doing repairs. I got a new ignition system before the end but am currently waiting for a spark plug cap. I replaced it with a Stihl 311 because of similar horsepower and weight. It doesn't have an adjustable oiler so I am stuck with a 25 inch bar. It starts easier and appears to use a lot less gas. I opted to use the premixed gas for the breakin period and the cute little cans. They hold about a quart and are about right for packing. Once I use up what's in those cans for oil and gas, its about time to go home anyway. If I need more it's time to bring a pack horse.

Recently I picked up a DeWalt electric chainsaw for a saddle saw while hunting because of the endless falling trees. One battery will cut 20-30 trees so I can pass. These being lodgepole in the 6-8 inch range. I haven't used a bar oil tankful yet so I don't need to pack oil on day trips. It weighs about 8lbs and cuts through an 8 inch log in about 30sec. I modified an old Forest Service fire hose pack frame to hold it and it hangs over the saddle horn. Seems to counter the weight of the gun and saddlebags for balance. I cut a cheap saddle pad for the back side of the pack to protect the saddle, my leg, and the horse. I'm still refining the arrangement for fit and balance. It beats the hell out of a hand saw and quieter than a gas saw for hunting. I'm still pondering a second battery for safety.

It's definitely not for heavy work...but I have a battery powered Dewalt that works really well for me.

Stihl MS291 20" bar. It's never failed to crank, run, or idle, even at 11,000ft altitude.

My uncle owns a tree service company and the MS291 is his general workhorse saw for limbing and bucking downed trees.

Buy once, cry once. Nothing is more frustrating than an unreliable chainsaw.

Just found a new- old stock Stihl MS250 18" saw on the clearance table. Couldn't say no.

I can't stop looking at the neighbors poplars. So soft, so easy.

Last edited:
Bringing this one to the top b/c chainsaws are cool. :cool:

Had a ms170 to leave in the truck and cut camp wood. Recently bought a 391. Its the baddest cat in town now, cuts big trees like butter.

I bought a Husqvarna 395xp with 43" bar exclusively for cutting spearing holes through the ice. I do have a 28" bar for use when the ice isn't too thick.
When I was searching for a saw a fellow Darkhouse angler advised that there's no such thing as too much money or too much horsepower!
I've yet to slow this saw down!

Bless my wife for not batting an eye when I said I was spending $1200 for a saw to cut ice🤣
20190311_214710.jpg20191218_111505.jpg

Bringing this one to the top b/c chainsaws are cool. :cool:

Had a ms170 to leave in the truck and cut camp wood. Recently bought a 391. Its the baddest cat in town now, cuts big trees like butter.
I have a 038 that is a great saw old as it is. The 362 with wrap around bar is tempting. mtmuley

I still have my farmboss, but I got a 391 for firewood. Holy crap will that thing cut. Throws shavings as long as your finger.

View attachment 265074
Something about those factory Stihl chains.. They really throw big chips when they're new. The angle on them is pretty aggressive and can actually get in the way of certain kinds of delicate cutting. When I was briefly competing in Game of Logging competitions, I switched to a different chain so that it was less apt to skip off the surface during really precise plunge cuts. They do throw a satisfying pile of chips, though!

Back