PEAX Equipment

What Chainsaw Do You Run?

I have a 038 that is a great saw old as it is. The 362 with wrap around bar is tempting. mtmuley
We had a whole fleet of 362’s for a job I had awhile back. Very well balanced saw. Could cut with it all day and never felt like it was too much or too little. A Goldilocks saw for sure! We didn’t do lots of big trees though, mostly thinning brush.

Unless you are a professional faller (west coast/Rocky Mountain type) then there is zero reason to go with a Husky. Even then, my dad always preferred Stihls as they are so damn tough and simple.

The only reason to go with a Husky is fuel tank size and chain speed, but both can be overcome by getting the correct Stihl. And totally spot on with the post about plastic components, get steel with magnesium bar if at all possible.

Unless you are a professional faller (west coast/Rocky Mountain type) then there is zero reason to go with a Husky. Even then, my dad always preferred Stihls as they are so damn tough and simple.

The only reason to go with a Husky is fuel tank size and chain speed, but both can be overcome by getting the correct Stihl. And totally spot on with the post about plastic components, get steel with magnesium bar if at all possible.
You must not repair your own saws. Try to get a parts diagram for a Stihl. They won’t give it to you. They purposely make you use its repair people.

I’d never own another Stihl anything.

You must not repair your own saws. Try to get a parts diagram for a Stihl. They won’t give it to you. They purposely make you use its repair people.

I’d never own another Stihl anything.
I was just fooling around on the old internet and found a bunch of diagrams. mtmuley

Huskie 55, Stihl 250 , Stihl 170.

I got the Huskie for a Bday present to myself in 1995. I just replaced the pull start. The only problem it has ever had.

I just got the 250 for Xmas from mrcowboy & wife. Nice.

The 170 gets a lot of use around here these days.

Dropping a pinion this morning. When it warms up some... 4 degrees now.

My saws are old but I use Stihl's, an 026 with a 20" bar and an 036 with a 24". The only thing I don't like about them is the air filter set up. Hard to get through cutting a cord without it needing cleaned or replaced.

My saws are old but I use Stihl's, an 026 with a 20" bar and an 036 with a 24". The only thing I don't like about them is the air filter set up. Hard to get through cutting a cord without it needing cleaned or replaced.
Hey Gary, what year is your 026? I got mine in either '92 or '93 and have never had an issue with the air filter. I change the filter every couple of years and that's it. Fwiw, have a 16" bar on mine and also use an old 038 my dad bought in '87, still runs like a champ. Just like the other, I change the filter every 2 or three years. I only cut one or maybe 2 triaxle loads of logs per year.

I have a Husqvarna 346xp and a 372xp. They 346xp fried last week after 13 years. Crushed a 372xp four years ago. Tree fell in it. I cut 10 cords a year and used the 346 95% of the time. It is light and fast. Is an air leak the most probable cause for the engine failure?Gas and oil mix was good. Ordered cylinder kit and some other parts and going to get it rebuilt.

Hey Gary, what year is your 026? I got mine in either '92 or '93 and have never had an issue with the air filter. I change the filter every couple of years and that's it. Fwiw, have a 16" bar on mine and also use an old 038 my dad bought in '87, still runs like a champ. Just like the other, I change the filter every 2 or three years. I only cut one or maybe 2 triaxle loads of logs per year.
Hey John, mine is about the same vintage. Maybe it's the type of wood or chain sharpness but the filter clogs up with fine sawdust fairly quickly. Great saws though. I like them better than the new models.

Stihl 270 with 18"...a constant fight with this one flooding so it'll get a rebuild this spring.
Husky 460 Rancher with 24"
These get rotated out after every tank of fuel. The Husky is my preferred cutter and often gets used on big Doug firs. The Stihl is often my dirty work cutter.

Still considering an electric for a truck saw and camping but since I already have the others it's a tough to justify redundant purchases.

Last edited:
Some guys on here cut more in their sleep than I probably do in a year, but fwiw...
I got a good deal on a Husky 550XP mk2 a couple years ago, it's been awesome. It has a 20" bar, which is borderline; I will put an 18” on one of these days. I do a few cords a year between myself and friends needs, some road clearing/camping use here and there. Auto-tune has been trouble free so far. More chainsaw than I need by a little, but resale is great if I ever bail. I looked for used before I bought and I couldn't believe how close the price was to new, at least around here.

84FD98E4-DB7A-4342-90F1-73FCCC50AD3E.jpeg

450 Husqvarna Rancher 20".

I don't stand with skilled knowledge on falling trees, etc. I compared ratings, friend info, and $ for my personal property use. AND a WBC Husqvarna promotion didn't hurt.
I dropped trees, chop to 8' drag and season for next year. Other than that, clearing crap, etc. Home property use.
It's worked great though not able to compare with others.

Some guys on here cut more in their sleep than I probably do in a year, but fwiw...
I got a good deal on a Husky 550XP mk2 a couple years ago, it's been awesome. It has a 20" bar, which is borderline; I will put an 18” on one of these days. I do a few cords a year between myself and friends needs, some road clearing/camping use here and there. Auto-tune has been trouble free so far. More chainsaw than I need by a little, but resale is great if I ever bail. I looked for used before I bought and I couldn't believe how close the price was to new, at least around here.

View attachment 265084
I’d like to see a load of hickory like that on your truck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back