Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

What Chainsaw Do You Run?

Couple of days until I head to Alaska to start my guiding season, thought I’d fire up the little saw. Gotta love Stihl. Put three more cords in the shed, figure I’ve six on the ground to dry in the sun.

Attachments

• B68DF7BB-C0D3-41CF-BB29-1B75C5105EFE.jpeg
    B68DF7BB-C0D3-41CF-BB29-1B75C5105EFE.jpeg
    6.9 MB · Views: 16
  • 6D455B63-0DE2-41AE-AC0F-307C1CE3E310.jpeg
    6D455B63-0DE2-41AE-AC0F-307C1CE3E310.jpeg
    7 MB · Views: 16
New carb for my 271ms was 85 bucks today. Pretty crappy to have to replace it on a three year old saw

New carb for my 271ms was 85 bucks today. Pretty crappy to have to replace it on a three year old saw
That sucks, I’ve crushed saws falling timber, run over them with dozers but never had to replace a carb.

I paid an arborist to fell a 60” wide rotten tree in my yard and instead of paying to have them haul it off I used the money to get an Echo 590 in 20” bar yesterday. I’m about half done cutting up the tree and so far so good. A bit finicky to start up, but other than that no complaints. I think the cheaper price ($400) is partially because it’s heavy; not too heavy for me though. I was on the fence about getting a longer bar, but I think that would be better suited for a more powerful motor, and the 60cc motor is about the most I can comfortably handle anyways being a 160 lb desk jockey.

On a somewhat related topic. Back in my forest circus days we had the attached bar oil and gas cans. Does anyone on gods green earth know where to buy one if you didnt steal one back then?

On a somewhat related topic. Back in my forest circus days we had the attached bar oil and gas cans. Does anyone on gods green earth know where to buy one if you didnt steal one back then?
I saw those some place around Pendleton, I’ll keep my eyes open, let you know if I find them again

It's almost as if choosing chainsaws is like choosing rifles or anything else. I like my Stihls. Full wrap handle. I use them for firewood. I ain't a logger. mtmuley

I paid an arborist to fell a 60” wide rotten tree in my yard and instead of paying to have them haul it off I used the money to get an Echo 590 in 20” bar yesterday. I’m about half done cutting up the tree and so far so good. A bit finicky to start up, but other than that no complaints. I think the cheaper price ($400) is partially because it’s heavy; not too heavy for me though. I was on the fence about getting a longer bar, but I think that would be better suited for a more powerful motor, and the 60cc motor is about the most I can comfortably handle anyways being a 160 lb desk jockey.
The echos are actually coming along pretty well, a couple guys in the industry prefer them. The biggest difference from a professional standpoint is longevity and ease of finding replacement parts quickly. For a homeowner there are very little differences between saws. For those of us that use saws 40+ hours a week, plastic parts break quickly, weight/power ratios are calculated regularly to reduce risk of injury, and the more expensive saws usually have better stabilizers and vibration reducers.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back