Battery Chainsaw - Bar Oil or Olive Oil?

Someday when I have my own house I’m going to have a skinning pole and I think I’ll go the corded chainsaw method for splitting and quartering. Currently use my friends pole and meat saw, but meat saw are hard to find and expensive

Chainsaws for disassembling moose is a pretty common practice. In college I was a hired hand for an guy who extracted moose from the BWCA area for people, and he had some kind of permit to use a chainsaw in the wilderness. If I remember right he used a narrow kerf, stainless steel blade to reduce the amount of meat and bone getting chewed up. I think he used olive oil or food grade mineral oil if it had gotten colder.

Even in chunks, portaging moose is unpleasant....

years ago,i used a chainsaw to split a elk strait down the back bone,it worked pretty good but was a bit messy slinging bone fragments and pieces..nowadays i have been using a cordless sawsall with a long blade,,it does a cleaner job by far,,have 2 batterys available if your gonna split a elk strait down the back bone,,makita has a small sawsall that i use now that is light and handy,,packable for a few miles in easily that i recomend,, also these days with cwd and travel restrictions the saws all is the way to go to elimiminate the back bone and spinal column areas that must be left on site,,alot of the other quarters can travel with bone on,,but check your particular states rules and the ones your traveling thru.

I didn't use my chain saw for game processing. I used 30w motor oil as chain lube. Now low weight oil 0-20 might be better. It is thinner in cold weather than 30w.

sunflower oil is thin and has a freezing point of -17c or about 1 Fahrenheit. We use this in our chainsaws in the winter when cutting spear holes in the lake.

View attachment 283624
Thanks for the good info. While butchering a moose all night and having to saw off the legs the next time I went I said the three things I would bring next time; Wader repair kit, starter fluid, and chain saw with vegetable oil. When we were coming out 2 guys flew in with gun chain saw fishing rod and shoe box of food. I thought those guys know what they are doing or they are going to starve. Battery Sawzall would work good also and no issues with oil.

That's a real good question OP. I'd use avocado oil because it can take high temps. Also canola oil can take high temps too and not break down. I wouldn't have thought of what you are asking, but all the poisonous chemicals in BAR oil, you sure as hell wouldn't want this chemicals in your meat. My outboard mechanic uses rubber surgical gloves all the time because he had a friend die of cancer from not using gloves! Food for everybody to think about. Battery operated Sawzall is a good idea

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back