What Chainsaw Do You Run?

Mainer207

I know there’s truck saw thread, but that’s not what I’m after. I’m looking to buy my first chainsaw.

I’ve run a handful, but it’s time to get my own. I’m looking for something that’s well rounded. I fell a decent amount of small trees, and there are a couple maples of 24” or so on our property that fell over this winter and need to be cut up for firewood. There’s also always brush to clear...

I’m leaning toward the Stihl ms251 Wood Boss or ms271 Farm Boss.

What are you guys running for a go-to saw around the property?

I’ve been running Husqvarna’s of some sort for the past 25 years or so and don’t have any complaints.

Currently I have a 346xp with a 20” bar and it works well for what I need it for being that it is labeled as a pro series saw. Now that I’m older and I know better I don’t cut firewood for my main heat like I used to and I mainly use it for timber stand improvement and trail clearing.

For a short stint in the early 2000’s I had a Stihl but had a ton of issues with it and quickly went back to Husqvarna’s and have no regrets.

Only advice I can give you is to not get a entry model saw if possible. Try and get the best possible model you can afford. There is a ton of difference in between a $300 saw and a $600 saw.

Stihl and husky pro saws with magnesium cases are all good products. The homeowner/farm saws with plastic crankcase are all garbage regardless of maker.
For the longest time Husky's had a real performance edge, but now many Stihl models perform better now.
The 346 is a great small saw as was the 372xp.

I am a former/part time arborist and although what we were looking for performance-wise is very different than a ranch saw, I'd echo (no pun intended) what others have said, get any professional level mid sized Stihl. The 261 is a particularly excellent ground saw. I've always found them easier to maintain and fix than Husqvarnas.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_1.jpg
    imagejpeg_1.jpg
    409.7 KB · Views: 28
I've always had and used a husqvarna. I have used a stihl and had no complaints. But I haven't use it to the level I used the husqvarnas

Stihl 046 (25") and 290 (20"). Awesome saws and have had the 046 for 20 years now.
Also have Husky 268 (20") and 372xp (28"). They too are excellent and never let me down.

Pawn shop saws:

Jonsered 630 Super with 20" bar $140
Stihl 036 Pro with 20" bar $250

The 630 looked a little rough but is a great saw. The 036 was a little pricey at $250 but was like new.

I have had both Stihl & Husky. Have both still,an old 55 Rancher Husky & a newer 170 Stihl limber. The new Stihls are catching up to the old Huskies quality wise and are very light.
Most others are not worth the bother,IMHO. I have an almost new Echo I rarely use. Good saw,but not as good as the Husky or Stihl.

I know there’s truck saw thread, but that’s not what I’m after. I’m looking to buy my first chainsaw.

I’ve run a handful, but it’s time to get my own. I’m looking for something that’s well rounded. I fell a decent amount of small trees, and there are a couple maples of 24” or so on our property that fell over this winter and need to be cut up for firewood. There’s also always brush to clear...

I’m leaning toward the Stihl ms251 Wood Boss or ms271 Farm Boss.

What are you guys running for a go-to saw around the property?
How often are you planning on running your saw? What is your budget? I own my own tree business (arborist) and run a chainsaw 40 hours a week. The frequency you will use it and budget make a difference on what I would recommend.

How often are you planning on running your saw? What is your budget? I own my own tree business (arborist) and run a chainsaw 40 hours a week. The frequency you will use it and budget make a difference on what I would recommend.

I’d be using it for the occasional projects and cutting wood. Early spring and late fall it will get most of it’s use. Probably not going to use it more than a couple times a month.

I’d like to be under $400

Back