Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

What caliber for son?

Kennedy

I am looking for advice on a rifle for my sons first big game gun. My son is 10 years old he can handle full power 30-06 loads. So my question is what caliber would you get if you was me buying him his first big game rifle? I reload so I can lesson the power if its something bigger than a 30-06. I want something that when he gets bigger that he will not be scared of. Where I'm from we hunt antelope mule deer and elk. Thanks.

30-06 is more than enough gun for mule deer and antelope. With the right loads it is great for all NA game, with the possible exception of grizzly (I said “possible exception” because I know that one or two HT members have used it effectively on grizzlies).

I have loaded the 30-06 down for my kids in the past, but never considered having them to shoot a full power load out of one. That could easily cause a flinch that is hard to get rid of, especially during a range session of multiple rounds which we all need from time to time, and especially kids. Try mild-mid loads using 150s and H4895 or possibly one of 4064, RL15, or Varget until he matures a little more

Yeah I was thinking of the 7mms. Im working with him in his shooting. He'll turn 11 in October but over here in Oregon a juvenile has to be 12 to hunt if they pass there hunters safety. And be 12 before the hunt starts so he'll be guaranteed a cow elk tag if he dont draw in the drawing.

Yeah I was thinking of the 7mms. Im working with him in his shooting. He'll turn 11 in October but over here in Oregon a juvenile has to be 12 to hunt if they pass there hunters safety. And be 12 before the hunt starts so he'll be guaranteed a cow elk tag if he dont draw in the drawing.
So he'll be taking his test after the new year. But I'm excited just because he's my baby boy ready to become a hunter.

I was started on 12 gauge slugs and 7mm rem mag. I remember taking a few beatings trying to get that 12 gauge sighted in when I was young. I never did develop a flinch or a death grip on the stock. I still love 12 gauge slugs. If your boy can handle the recoil, let him shoot heavier loads. Nothing worse than tracking a marginally hit deer that was shot with an 80 grain.

The OP mentioned -06 several times, so why not just go with that? I assume you're pretty familiar with that cartridge.

Anyway, I guess I'd add that that I'm more impressed with the smaller variants of the 30-06. The .280 Rem is awfully powerful and probably a little more versitle. Kicks less too. I'm a life-long fan of the .270 tho. Anyway, I generally wouldn't recommend the .280 to a non--handloader, but sounds like you handload, so you might want to consider it.

7mm-08, 6.5 creedmoor
Agreed, not only are these super effective and lethal, they are not as punishing to shoot.

My son shoots a 7mm-08, has taken three deer and a cow elk with it. The elk was 210 yards, farther than I’ve taken an elk.

Worth noting that both of these calibers have a ton of factory ammo choices if you’re not a reloader.

When my son was 12 I got a great deal on a 30-06. Shooting from the bench he shot reduced loads. While hunting he shot 150 grain factory loads. He is now 40 and that 06 is still his go to gun. I wouldn't change a thing if I had it to do over.

He however purchased a Tikka 7mm-08 for his sons and I also have a 7-08 for my lightweight rifle. No wrong answer with either and there are probably 10 other calibers that will work.

I believe he can shoot the 06 from the bench but what about prone and sitting? Can he handle lots of off hand practice with the 06? Kids need lots of shooting. Lots!
7-08
6.5 creedmoor
Pick your cal and practice as much as possible.

I just bought a 7mm-08 for my son who's the same age. 06 definitely was not on my short list of calibers for a 10-11 year old even though it's a great one for a lot of things.

Anyway I found I enjoy shooting his little rifle as much as he does.

I would get him a 6.5 creedmoor or 6.5prc. My son shoots a prc that has a break and we will be replacing the barrel soon. My point to that last comment is he shoots it a lot. He enjoys it, it’s easy to shoot 50+ rounds in a few hours and there is nothing better than time behind the trigger.

6.5 Creedmor. Seriously. It’s far better to start off with a light recoiling rifle and have him wanting a heavier caliber later on than it is having him trying to please you and “handle” the recoil and develop bad shooting habits that he will have to work hard to overcome.

Three of my children have started out around the age of ten with center fires. They all loved to shoot the .243 for deer and antelope and I didn’t hesitate to hand them my 30’06 when it was time to hunt for elk. They won’t think about the recoil when shooting an animal but the accumulated pain at the bench can be too much.

Good advice already given, personally I wouldn't go down the 30-06 route at this stage (don't get me wrong I love the 30-06), 10 years old is quite young, .243 is a great calibre, but if he is after Elk then a 7mm-08 is my choice.
The problem is once a shooter starts to flinch it's so damned difficult to stop it, I liken it to when I teach fly fishing, when a person has been fly fishing before, and they break their wrist during casting, it's so hard to get them to break the habit.
They might lose a fly, but flinch and you miss or worse case injure the animal.

Cheers

Richard

If deer, antelope and black bear, I would go .243 or 6.5 creedmoor. If you wanted to include elk & moose I would go with 7mm08 or .308. If primarily hunting in the woods, I would get him a nice 30-30 lever action. All you need to shoot anything but a grizzly in the woods and will be something he will keep for a lifetime. (I wish I had my grandpas old lever 30-30 that I learned on, but with 24 cousins my “draw odds” weren’t very good). Since you handload, slightly light .270, 280 Rem or 30-06 are also great all around cartridges for a boy. Also, stock fit and stock weight are also important to recoil management and learning good shooting fundementals - so I would factor these into my shopping as well. (With regard to weight, I mean making sure it isn’t a 5lb rifle - even a 7mm08 is snappy for a kid with a super light rifle.)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back