Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

What caliber for son?

Thanks for the reply everybody. I'm thinking of the 7millimeter08. After I get my son set up then I can finally buy me a rifle.
Another vote for the 7mm-08. I bought an inexpensive Savage Axis II in that caliber for my 12 year old son last summer. Last fall, he shot his first deer with it at 210 yards from a kneeling position after a long hike over rough terrain. He probably could have shot any caliber at that deer and never felt the recoil, but he enjoyed shooting the light-kicking 7mm-08 at the range, so it meant that he practiced with it and had confidence in that gun. Another example where the best gun for the job is the one you/he shoots the best.

How many of you guy's have but one rifle/ The OP want's what a lot seem to want, one rifle that will suit the kid when he get's older! What make these guy's think the kid won't want more than one rifle? Not a problem, down the road he can get 5 more 30-06's! 10yrs old and showing dad how tuff he is shooting dad's 30-06. Let him shoot mom's 243 and see what one he like better. I have a kid here in town that shot his grandfather's 30-30! Sid it didn't bother him much at all. I let him shoot a 243 and a 6.5x55 and while he didn't complain about recoil his favorite was the 243. He's 13 yrs old.

On another note, I was going tolet my grandson, 9yr s old first try my 30-06. Loaded with 180gr cast bullet's and 13grs Red Dot it recoils about like a 22 RF.

6mm Remington. 100 or 95 gr. Partition - 90 gr. Accubond - or 90 gr. E-tip will take everything from coyotes, antelope, black bear, deer, and even an elk used appropriately.

I'm asking the same question myself for my son. I'm leaning towards the 6.5 creedmor. Soft recoil and good ballistics, although MAYBE limited rank/ballistics for Elk but for everything else, should be great.

It also will vary up the calibers so if we ever have the ammo shortage problem like we did this year, I will have more options. I could find 6.5 creedmor ammo everywhere, but couldn't find 30-06 or 308 locally.

Even though he's only 1 year old, I think I need to buy him his rifle now and make sure it works... =D

No matter what you get him, he will venture to a different caliber sooner or later. That is, if he sticks with it. If he shoots the 30-06 well and can handle it, then that is what you should get him. Also, ammo won't brake the bank if he chooses to stick with factory loads. Good all around option.

I am looking for advice on a rifle for my sons first big game gun. My son is 10 years old he can handle full power 30-06 loads. So my question is what caliber would you get if you was me buying him his first big game rifle? I reload so I can lesson the power if its something bigger than a 30-06. I want something that when he gets bigger that he will not be scared of. Where I'm from we hunt antelope mule deer and elk. Thanks.
Personally, I would not having him shooting equivalent of 30.06. He may handle it for a couple shots, but I remember when I got my first 30.06, as a small and young boy, I got so flinchy on the range, after several shots, I couldn’t even hit the paper. I ended up getting a muzzle brake to help, but then the noise was scary. I have been buying all my grandsons, either a .243 or a 6.5 CM. I tell them all, they can sell it and buy something else when they want to.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back