Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

What are your 2020 plans?

We have two plans for the upcoming season.

Plan A - The normal hunts across the western states. This plan is becoming less and less likely, due to travel restrictions, quarantine requirements, and the fact the land agencies are working from home and the ability to get film permits might be restricted. If there is a second spike in C-19, no doubt this plan will be shelved.

Plan B - Hunting, fishing, trapping only in Montana. As residents, the main restriction that impacts us is staying 6' apart, especially when traveling in vehicles. So, we might end up self-filming a lot of stuff where the hunter is also the camera guy. We have a very expansive film permit for a few of the National Forests here in Montana, so film permits is not a problem. We have access to easy tags; elk, whitetail does, hopefully antelope, bear, and who knows what else. I could dig out my traps and go back on a canine trap line. Fall black bear are far more tasteful than spring bears. Waterfowl, upland birds, a grouse camp, and some of the best fishing of the year is in September and October. We are lucky to have so much we could do even with the travel restrictions in place.

For many reasons, mostly the improved health of our society and easing the burden on the medical care providers/system, I hope the season can go forward as we hope.
I guess I have been living under a rock. I didn't know film permits were required.

Neat addition to my 2020 hunting plans:
Quail - not sure where in Wyoming yet, but on the plans. Hunting partner wants to do it so why not.
Fall Turkey - my hunting partner's sister has land with turkeys on it so got some private to hunt on. Hyped! And only have to worry about the two of us plus his brother doing any shooting.
I didn’t know Wyoming even had quail.

Personal opinion, if I had sharp tails around like you guys do in Wyoming I would not be hunting quail. 😂

A week long ruffed grouse hunt in Northern WI and a week long archery deer hunt here in IL in the middle of the rut are my main hunting trips for 2020. I'm hoping to draw a WY antelope tag and if so, will squeeze that hunt in. I'll also be doing some small game, upland and waterfowl here in IL as time allows. And i'll make it back to PA for a few days during their rifle deer season to hunt on my Uncle's farm.

What will you be putting in for?
NM Deer and Elk (Drew a Nov deer rifle tag)
UT Deer Elk Sheep (Unsuccessful across the board)
NV Deer point, elk , sheep, antelope ( Lottery ticket no expectations)
CA Deer, Elk, Sheep, Antelope (Anticipate drawing an archery deer tag my second choice is OTC)

What else will you be hunting?
CA Turkey as opportunity knocks (ended up 1/3 on Spring Season)
CA wild pig hunts if opportunity arises.
CA Bear tag has arrived

Other outdoor trips?
Deer scouting in either NM and /or California
Potential trip to AK to see Gf's Son.
Wedding in NE Washington scheduled for August

Thanks to @Carl for correcting me on muley in Wyoming. I had gotten used to only being able to shoot antlered muleys or white tails and failed to notice the change when muley does became available. I never did notice that even though I applied every year since 2003. Feel like a blonde at the receiving end of blonde jokes LOL.

Planning to hunt muleys only, no whitetail
Type 1 - any deer
Type 6 - two does

Added to previous list:
General Elk
Type 8 Cow/Calf elk
Bear General
Lion General
Wabbits
Fall Turkey
Possibly Grouse - not wrote in stone yet

Last edited:
I didn’t know Wyoming even had quail.

Personal opinion, if I had sharp tails around like you guys do in Wyoming I would not be hunting quail. 😂

Quail is not what I meant to say LOL.... try grouse. My hunting partner's daughter has them on her property. Believe it or not, I have never hunted quail or grouse in my lifetime so this will be a first if it happens.

Currently have a WY bear tag, put my 2 boys in for WY antelope gun and myself WY antelope muzzle loader. Will get my kids each WY gen elk & mule deer.
Costs more for my bear tag than it does for one of my kids to have both elk & mule deer tags.

Still new to western hunting

Putting in for:
WY antelope
WY elk pp
WY muley pp

Other hunts:
Home state of Indiana whitetail
Possibly newly learning waterfowl

Other trips:
Hopefully an offshore fishing trip in Hilton Head

What will you be putting in for?

AZ - Elk and Deer

CO - Elk & Deer

ID - Sheep only

KS - Deer PP

MT - Elk PP & Deer

NV - Elk, Deer, & Sheep

NM - Elk, Deer, Sheep & Barbary Sheep

UT - Elk & Deer PP

WY - Elk & Deer PP

What else will you be hunting?
PA, NY, OH - Archery, gun 7 muzzy for Deer and spring turkey
CO - hopeful for the deer tag, will know tomorrow
MT - Did draw a general deer tag

Other outdoor trips?
Lake Erie fishing for walleye the month of June, July & August....great protein for the western woods come fall.

This will be the year of the elk for me. I have voluntarily decided not to do my annual Iowa and Kansas deer hunting. 1st time I will miss Iowa since I was 8 yrs old. With a newborn at home an 2 other kids under 5. I figured I better not press my luck.

NM Archery Elk

UT Rifle Elk

This will be the year of the elk for me. I have voluntarily decided not to do my annual Iowa and Kansas deer hunting. 1st time I will miss Iowa since I was 8 yrs old. With a newborn at home an 2 other kids under 5. I figured I better not press my luck.

NM Archery Elk

UT Rifle Elk
If you run out of freezer space for those two bulls let me know.

I got an archery tag in Nevada but I’ll be looting stores and protesting till then. Wow 2020 what a crazy year.

With the Canadian Border still closed, I have missed my first walleye fishing trip of the year in Quebec. I did draw a Kansas Rifle tag. Still planning on walleyes in Quebec during August, and waterfowl in Saskatchewan late September/early October.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back