What are you guys paying for gas?

Yes. Silly me.
This table below (detailed August CPI) gets updated on Thursday for Sept. You can see some things up some things down. You eat eggs every meal you are living large! LOL. Honestly there is some weird stuff going on. Maybe it is labor prices flowing through to retail prices? No legit reason for cereal and cookies to by up 6-8%. Mostly I think it is companies trying to maintain profit margins, and the average American liking to complain about stuff. If you are expecting prices to return to 2019 levels, please don't hold your breath or you will pass out. Gas prices for September are basically unchanged and the recent demand report showed the lowest end demand for the year and Futures prices dropped from $2.75 to $2.25 over the last 3 wks. It will be slooooow to get to the end buyer though.

This table below (detailed August CPI) gets updated on Thursday for Sept. You can see some things up some things down. You eat eggs every meal you are living large! LOL. Honestly there is some weird stuff going on. Maybe it is labor prices flowing through to retail prices? No legit reason for cereal and cookies to by up 6-8%. Mostly I think it is companies trying to maintain profit margins, and the average American liking to complain about stuff. If you are expecting prices to return to 2019 levels, please don't hold your breath or you will pass out. Gas prices for September are basically unchanged and the recent demand report showed the lowest end demand for the year and Futures prices dropped from $2.75 to $2.25 over the last 3 wks. It will be slooooow to get to the end buyer though.

Got one from like 2 or 3 years ago til now?

Got one from like 2 or 3 years ago til now?
Why? There is no doubt that prices are a lot higher, and it explains why unions are striking for more money. I'm just curious on some of the categories and what is driving it, and mostly why consumer spending habits haven't changed much relative to the jumps. We all adjust to new paradigms eventually, I just wonder how long it will take.

Here is a fun chart if you want the categories. What it doesn't show is the relative weights, so while the shelter line may look more stable than gasoline line, it is about a third of the index so smaller changes have large impact. But you could argue that for those with a fixed rate mortgage, in reality it doesn't change much at all and most rents reset annually. The charts clearly show that the last 3yrs has been crazy and the "shut down the economy" idea won't happen again. Just wonder when we get back to normal what a new normal looks like.

Currently on our way to WY from NC. 3.15 at home, filled up for 3.09 in TN. Looks like we will get it for 3.22 here in KY unless the Google maps info is off.

Idk, Why not? For the same reason to compare prices?
Because those numbers are not prices, they wouldn't make much sense. They are also a national average. Not sure the national average of cookies in 2019 vs the national average of cookies in 2023 is all that important to anyone (but they measure that stuff, which is interesting!). The question really is, when does the increasing price of an item start to impact your consumption of that item. So if it was $3.19 for a package of cookies last year and it's now $3.38, we don't see outrage, I guess because you can not buy them? I also am amazed that not more media attention has been placed on the fact that public corporate profits are at all-time highs. Seems 100% of those companies were able to pass along the input price increases plus a little extra. I guess that $hit rolls downhill, too.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otto247
Back