What are you currently reading?

I've been binge reading the classics lately, really enjoyed 'Dracula' and '20,000 Leagues Under the Sea'.

For non-fiction, I've been reading 'American Journalism' by Frank Mott. Super interesting to read about what media sources (i.e. newspapers) were out there before the ones we're all familiar with, and what they were like.

These were my “stuck in the tent” books:
81F9DE43-B867-4FC0-8454-B46844EF81A2.jpeg
D5D83727-9F1E-489F-95CB-9F03D66C7E02.jpeg
One Man’s Wilderness was fantastic. As both a builder and nature lover, this was right up my alley.

The Yukon book had a dated writing style but suited for the time period. It’s about a group of three wealthy men who hire an outfitter to guide them into the Yukon wilderness for a couple months to shoot a bunch of trophy animals. 20 horse pack train, hired hands, cook, etc. Had a lot of danger and adventure, but the hunting ethic is fortunately very different from today’s. I got real tired of stories of them slinging a dozen bullets at game a half mile away with open sights, hitting them in the ass, and leaving them until the next day. 🤮 Different time.

I read Killer Angels by Michael Shaara and both Gods and Generals and The Last Full Measure by Jeff 20 years ago. I ran across this at the bookstore this weekend. It has great reviews. Looking forward to reading it. 3226123D-4BF7-4DE0-8BA8-2B2BDBB27C53.jpeg

Spent a lot of time sitting in a makeshift blind in rainstorms during my Colorado muzzleloader hunt.

This book helped me pass the time:
IMG_5476.jpeg

No joke, I finished it less than 30 minutes before this guy showed up:
IMG_1297.jpeg

It was a great book. My favorite Longmire in a few years. I got burned out on him crossing in and out of the Cheyenne spirit world. It was hard to follow for me. This book was back to being a mystery and gives more family backstory.

Spent a lot of time sitting in a makeshift blind in rainstorms during my Colorado muzzleloader hunt.

This book helped me pass the time:
View attachment 293791

No joke, I finished it less than 30 minutes before this guy showed up:
View attachment 293792

It was a great book. My favorite Longmire in a few years. I got burned out on him crossing in and out of the Cheyenne spirit world. It was hard to follow for me. This book was back to being a mystery and gives more family backstory.
Great buck! I haven’t read any of the Longmire books, but all of the spirit world stuff was my biggest gripe about the tv series.

I really enjoyed that book even though I've never owned nor will ever own stock.
I finished it yesterday, it was a great book!
I like how they were so focused on keeping your camp as low impact on the land as possible. Takes effort the keep horses from wrecking everything

Currently trying to read Alaska Raw by Bob Lacher. It feels like his first attempt. While he's not Jack O'Connor, there may be potential.

It can be a bit much in the presenting and glorifying the undistinguished juvenile shenanigan's of middle aged men while out in the field. This focus on boy's being boys, essentially detracts from the real adventure stories and feels like the author is maybe more interested in boosting of ill manors and lack of couth than the adventure itself. If you can get through that nonsense, you may find it enjoyable and I suspect that many will. This is just my initial impression of the first few chapters.

1695658634969.png
ad

These were my “stuck in the tent” books:
View attachment 293584
View attachment 293585
One Man’s Wilderness was fantastic. As both a builder and nature lover, this was right up my alley.

The Yukon book had a dated writing style but suited for the time period. It’s about a group of three wealthy men who hire an outfitter to guide them into the Yukon wilderness for a couple months to shoot a bunch of trophy animals. 20 horse pack train, hired hands, cook, etc. Had a lot of danger and adventure, but the hunting ethic is fortunately very different from today’s. I got real tired of stories of them slinging a dozen bullets at game a half mile away with open sights, hitting them in the ass, and leaving them until the next day. 🤮 Different time.
Had these at one time...think I gifted them to someone. Proenneke was a one of...must've watched him craft that cabin many times.

A buddy of mine gave me this book on whitetails and I found it to be very interesting. Whitetail Hunters Almanac 3rd edition by Dr. Ken Nordberg. It's older edition published in 1990; I believe that they finished up on the 10th edition. Anyway, if your a whitetail hunter you might find this interesting.

1695659891138.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back