What are you currently reading?

Loved River of Doubt! Blood and Thunder by Hampton Sides is also very good.
Been listening to B&T on Audible. I expected a Chronological accounting of Kit Carson's Life, but I got a 3 plot mini series...

Below is from Robert Kershaw's "24 Hours At Waterloo". He is describing Marshal Neyes' fatal cavalry charge. Having overrun Wellington's artillery, the French heavy cavalry pursued British gun crews and their protection over the crest of the ridge only to be confronted by infantry regiments formed into formidable squares.

"It was a well-known and scientifically proven fact that it is not in the nature of horses to ride roughshod over human beings, particularly if they are shouting and stabbing from behind a phalanx of bayonets. The only recourse was to get so close that if the horse went down, the momentum of the fall might collapse a small part of the square. Dying horses, thrashing around, made it impossible for infantry to remain in line, which was why horses were immediately and ruthlessly dispatched with shot and bayonet when it occurred. Both man and horse baulked short of these squares. One British witness described the impossibility of directing a horse ‘against the terrible face of the infantry square, more resembling a living volcano than any phalanx of human intervention.’ The impetus of the charge could not be maintained. ‘The animal becomes bewildered with terror, and wheeling round, in spite of rein and spur, rushes from the unequal conflict.’ Both man and horse instinctively recoil from death."

Robert Kershaw, 24 Hours At Waterloo, 18 June 1815: Eyewitness Accounts From the Battle. Casemite Publishers (2014) p. 234.

This is a great read. We think warfare today is nasty business but it pales in comparison to the sheer brutality of early 19th century large scale face-to-face combat.

I'm reading Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir. I read and really enjoyed other books by this author. Most notably The Martian, which was made into the movie of the same name from a few years ago. Really great stories, well written.

Reactions: Zak
A buddy of mine gave me this book on whitetails and I found it to be very interesting. Whitetail Hunters Almanac 3rd edition by Dr. Ken Nordberg. It's older edition published in 1990; I believe that they finished up on the 10th edition. Anyway, if your a whitetail hunter you might find this interesting.

View attachment 293859
I have a good buddy who has hunted next to the Nordberg party for a long, long time. Ummm.....yeah. I will leave it at that.

Below is from Robert Kershaw's "24 Hours At Waterloo". He is describing Marshal Neyes' fatal cavalry charge. Having overrun Wellington's artillery, the French heavy cavalry pursued British gun crews and their protection over the crest of the ridge only to be confronted by infantry regiments formed into formidable squares.

"It was a well-known and scientifically proven fact that it is not in the nature of horses to ride roughshod over human beings, particularly if they are shouting and stabbing from behind a phalanx of bayonets. The only recourse was to get so close that if the horse went down, the momentum of the fall might collapse a small part of the square. Dying horses, thrashing around, made it impossible for infantry to remain in line, which was why horses were immediately and ruthlessly dispatched with shot and bayonet when it occurred. Both man and horse baulked short of these squares. One British witness described the impossibility of directing a horse ‘against the terrible face of the infantry square, more resembling a living volcano than any phalanx of human intervention.’ The impetus of the charge could not be maintained. ‘The animal becomes bewildered with terror, and wheeling round, in spite of rein and spur, rushes from the unequal conflict.’ Both man and horse instinctively recoil from death."

Robert Kershaw, 24 Hours At Waterloo, 18 June 1815: Eyewitness Accounts From the Battle. Casemite Publishers (2014) p. 234.

This is a great read. We think warfare today is nasty business but it pales in comparison to the sheer brutality of early 19th century large scale face-to-face combat.
When the Great War erupted the Germans were stunned at the French troops in their blue and red trousers - who appeared to have come straight from Waterloo - and the French and British were equally stunned at the first appearances of the stahlhelm.

image.jpg

Just finished this, about Sam Bankman-Fried and the collapse of FTX. Michael Lewis (author of Moneyball and the Blind Side, among others) remains one of my favorite nonfiction writers — his very engaging style can make even cryptocurrency and blockchains easy to read about.

Lewis received criticism for being too sympathetic to and too believing of SBF; I don’t disagree. Even in Lewis’s description, SBF sounds like a sociopath.

I'm reading Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir. I read and really enjoyed other books by this author. Most notably The Martian, which was made into the movie of the same name from a few years ago. Really great stories, well written.
That was my favorite book this year (read 45 so far).

Just went through 4 of Shakespeare's plays, I liked Richard III the best.

Currently in the mood for outdoors stories, so I'm reading "Hunting in the Southwest" by Jack O'Connor.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
See65
Back