Yeti GOBOX Collection

What are you currently reading?

Currently reading "The Last Farmer" by Howard Kohn its been a really good story about the death of the family farm being turned into corporate huge farms along with how that went with families and towns. Its been a really enjoyable read.

715pFDsdrGL._SL1500_.jpg

I can't say it's great. The dialog of people talking with marbles in their mouths leaves me guessing about what was said. But it's still an interesting read.

715pFDsdrGL._SL1500_.jpg

I can't say it's great. The dialog of people talking with marbles in their mouths leaves me guessing about what was said. But it's still an interesting read

715pFDsdrGL._SL1500_.jpg

I can't say it's great. The dialog of people talking with marbles in their mouths leaves me guessing about what was said. But it's still an interesting read.
I really enjoyed the whole series, one of my Favs

What's it about?
Post WW2 Canadian government biologist that spent the summer observing arctic wolves. Fascinating animals, well written, humorous. I’m an ecologist and this guy was way ahead of the science dogma at the time so it was fun to read an old natural history book that was controversial at the time but checks out today with what we know about animal behavior. Plus it killed the boredom for an all day sit that ended with some venison!

Some books I read in November, all hunting-related until I get tired of them:

Sheep Hunts: One Man's Journeys to the High Country by Paul Carter - Fun book to read along on these sheep hunts done primarily by muzzleloader.

The Best of Sheep Hunting by John Batten - Superb anthology of sheep hunts from the classic hunters. Also piqued my interest in international hunting. I was only interested in North American sheep but after finishing this book I am on the lookout for books on sheep hunts in Asia.

Magnificent Obsession: In Pursuit of High Mountain Game by Israel Torres - Good collection of stories of sheep hunts in different parts of the world.

Hunting in the Southwest by Jack O'Connor - Thoughts and experiences on each of the desert species, interesting was his cavalier attitude towards mountain lions going the way of the dodo.

Public Land Mulies by David Long - Read this before hunting mule deer this year. Pretty good, I'll be referencing his glassing methods again next year.

I'm looking for a recommendation or two on the "best" conservation book that summarizes the evolution of game management and populations. From the free for all colonial days to what we have today.
The only one I could think of off the top of my head was Mark Kenyon's book That Wild Country.

I'm looking for a recommendation or two on the "best" conservation book that summarizes the evolution of game management and populations. From the free for all colonial days to what we have today.
The only one I could think of off the top of my head was Mark Kenyon's book That Wild Country.
This is a little obscure but a fascinating book. Based on pictures so I can understand it! Mary Meagher passed away a month or so ago. She was an amazing lady. Lived by herself in Cinnabar Basin an hunted elk into her eighties.

Last edited:
That's all I can think of besides a handful of academic texts.

This was a good read which includes a good but more narrow slice of the history you're hoping for.

Last Stand: George Bird Grinnell, the Battle to Save the Buffalo, and the Birth of the New West https://a.co/d/45cuJLn

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NTSS
Back