Votes: 42 22.0%
  • 50's

Votes: 14 7.3%
  • 60+

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Still Hammering

Votes: 73 38.2%

• Total voters
Child care is crazy. When we had our kids in 2003 and 2004 childcare cost more than my wife was making at the time as a store manager at an Ashley furniture. She quit and stayed home with the kids. Very fortunate we could financially afford to do that.

Sept my oldest hits first grade I get a grand a month back a entire new reason to be excited for the fall
Like @buckbull Said childcare is like dead even with what my wife used to make. So she quit her job of 15 years and waitresses on sat and Sunday and I take the boys. Works out actually, she makes more now waitressing 2 days a week. Minus benefits.

Statistically, most people can't do simple math.

In 40 years your million will likely turn into $200,000 or the equivalent. When I was a kid a million made you rich, today it doesn't.
Statistically I think everyone has gotten a pretty good lesson in how inflation works recently…

Reduced buying power isn’t a reason not to save/invest toward a goal

It's crazy. Thanks for the reminder of why the wife and I alternate shifts so we don't have to pay that.
I have tried to work nights my work is cool with it. But my wife is not lol... she wants to keep a somewhat normal schedule... one good thing about work, when we went to flat rate that helped. getting paid anywhere from 50 to 130 hrs a week now depends on flow of work. but its for the same amount of work I was doing, so that's nice. but still doesn't make it any easier to fork over 2k a month for it.

looks like I'm not the only one thinking about picking up some old habits to get them dollar bills back though

Like @buckbull Said childcare is like dead even with what my wife used to make. So she quit her job of 15 years and waitresses on sat and Sunday and I take the boys. Works out actually, she makes more now waitressing 2 days a week. Minus benefits.
It’s wild times man. It use to be a truck was a depreciating invest but last 4 years if a guy had been swapping for a new one every year you could have probably only been paying for diesel and oil changes it’s wild

I have tried to work nights my work is cool with it. But my wife is not lol... she wants to keep a somewhat normal schedule... one good thing about work, when we went to flat rate that helped. getting paid anywhere from 50 to 130 hrs a week now depends on flow of work. but its for the same amount of work I was doing, so that's nice. but still doesn't make it any easier to fork over 2k a month for it.

looks like I'm not the only one thinking about picking up some old habits to get them dollar bills back though
I have a standing offer to go back to an old job but that means a couple years on nights. Once the boys start school I wouldn't see them until the weekend really. That's a no go for me. Regardless of the extra money.

I have a standing offer to go back to an old job but that means a couple years on nights. Once the boys start school I wouldn't see them until the weekend really. That's a no go for me. Regardless of the extra money.
I figure the oldest starts school this coming August. Then the youngest will be 2 years out. Wife's mom is retiring in July, said she would love to watch them. We just got to make it a little longer! Id say your making the right call though.. its more important they get the time with you guys.

I am old enough now to have watched my net worth soar (by my standards)… and then crash (by anyones standards) and then slowly start to recover again…. I am mortgage debt free as of last year, but still cash poor with very very little in the bank and two kids on cusp of college age. Net worth is such a moving target, and is eaten by inflation way worse than the officials say. It means very little until you are retired and sell everything, and there is no way to judge the quality of your life by your net worth anyway.

Last edited:
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otto247
Back