Caribou Gear

Well There Goes Idaho

Think they found Colorado more to their liking... and unfortunately additions to the Zoo and Boz...

I don't know many Californians in Missoula. It seems like most of our newcomers are from Washington state, the midwest and east coast. At least the people I know.

I don't give 2 shits where you are born. I have 2 sons that were born in MT and I was born in Illinois. I have lived in MT for twice as long as my 20 something sons. I taught them their values. They are not more Montanan than I am. And neither is anyone else. My daughter was born in AK and spent 2 years there. She, at 21 is not an Alaskan any more than her brothers.
Where a person is born does not identify them anymore than what they had for breakfast.
With all due MTTW, being born here does mean something. At least to me. My grandmother, born here also, always said "you can't take the Montana out of you." mtmuley

With all due MTTW, being born here does mean something. At least to me. My grandmother, born here also, always said "you can't take the Montana out of you." mtmuley

Frankly it doesn't matter a whit to me. There are a bazillion things more important about a person than where they are born. I've been here nearing 40 years, I'll never be native born. My kids and grandkids are, I'm neither less than or more than them.

It's sort of juvenile to be hung up about something that no one has any control over.

Frankly it doesn't matter a whit to me. There are a bazillion things more important about a person than where they are born. I've been here nearing 40 years, I'll never be native born. My kids and grandkids are, I'm neither less than or more than them.

It's sort of juvenile to be hung up about something that no one has any control over.
"Juvenile"? Maybe. I'm proud to be a born Montanan. Maybe you don't understand. Call it what you want. Why shouldn't I be proud to have landed in Shelby, Montana 54 years ago today? mtmuley

"Juvenile"? Maybe. I'm proud to be a born Montanan. Maybe you don't understand. Call it what you want. Why shouldn't I be proud to have landed in Shelby, Montana 54 years ago today? mtmuley

Happy birthday then. It's when you think it makes you better than anyone born anywhere else that is juvenile. So what exactly did you do that made you native born. Seems to me the credit if any, belongs to your mom and dad.

Happy birthday then. It's when you think it makes you better than anyone born anywhere else that is juvenile. So what exactly did you do that made you native born. Seems to me the credit if any, belongs to your mom and dad.
I was born in Montana. I'm not better. mtmuley

For all the comments about Boise, do Idaho residents feel that this is widespread across the state? Or, is Boise just turning into the "wrong side of town"?

Boise used to be a pretty nice place. It has since become "L.A." with increased violent crime, drugs, and over population. They have out grown their infrastructure at an alarming rate and become a "big city", they have gotten away from being a community. All you have to do is read a news paper to realize the true impact. Sad really!

I am curious on the effect of winter on the newly arrived Montanans. Maybe a long cold winter or two, and better yet, throw in considerable wind, and voila! They vanish. I would.

I enjoy visiting a week or so in the spring, and a week or so in the fall, but I don’t find winter and probably mid summer (northern) Montana weather appealing whatsoever.

Boise used to be a pretty nice place. It has since become "L.A." with increased violent crime, drugs, and over population. They have out grown their infrastructure at an alarming rate and become a "big city", they have gotten away from being a community. All you have to do is read a news paper to realize the true impact. Sad really!
I kind of figured along these lines. Just seems a shame to gauge the state by one City, even if it might be the largest. Some areas (e.g. Salmon) struck me as some of the best in the U.S.

Many of the people I encountered in my travels seemed like some of the nicest I've ever met. Awful that this virtue might be cause of the root problem that newcomers might be inclined to disrespect and walk all over established norms.

Migration will continue as sure as the sun will rise tommorow. I hope that ways can be found to explain that kindness shouldn't be taken for weakness, as way too many are standing by to take advantage.

I’m laying in a bed in a $2 million house in Venice right now. It’s not a nice house and it was built in 1924. No wonder people are leaving.
there are homeless right outside sleeping on the sidewalks . If I were to move here, I’d be one of them. A search of Zillow shows 0 homes under 700k in this city.
Nice place though. good oysters.

I bet those oysters aren't local, I sure as heck wouldn't eat the shellfish from anywhere between Santa Monica and Newport Beach :ROFLMAO:

I am curious on the effect of winter on the newly arrived Montanans. Maybe a long cold winter or two, and better yet, throw in considerable wind, and voila! They vanish. I would.
'Recently purchased a kayak from a retired physician from the Bay Area, who moved to Montana several years ago. He and his wife embraced the outdoors, designed and built a really cool secluded place in the hills of a gated rural community. However, they have now sold the place and are returning to an urban condo back in San Francisco. I think you are correct; the winter and wind "erode" the enthusiasm for the Montana adventure after a few years. That is likely why there are so many mega million dollar mansions on acreage for sale as retired folks build their huge dream house "cabin-in-the-woods" only to realize the hardships of winter and spring runoff in Montana. What seems wasteful to me is that those "estates" often sit on the realty market for long periods, because if one has that kind of wealth why would they buy someone else's dream when they can clear another forest lot and build their own mega millions mansion dream?!

'Recently purchased a kayak from a retired physician from the Bay Area, who moved to Montana several years ago. He and his wife embraced the outdoors, designed and built a really cool secluded place in the hills of a gated rural community. However, they have now sold the place and are returning to an urban condo back in San Francisco. I think you are correct; the winter and wind "erode" the enthusiasm for the Montana adventure after a few years. That is likely why there are so many mega million dollar mansions on acreage for sale as retired folks build their huge dream house "cabin-in-the-woods" only to realize the hardships of winter and spring runoff in Montana. What seems wasteful to me is that those "estates" often sit on the realty market for long periods, because if one has that kind of wealth why would they buy someone else's dream when they can clear another forest lot and build their own mega millions mansion dream?!
Unfortunately very true reality S A. This winter has been very mild so far. I can still drive in to do my forestry work as of yesterday. Ok snow pack up high though. Last winter was the same way until heavy snows in February brought us back to reality.

20200105_135024.jpg

20200105_134733.jpg

One observation I've made many years ago is that the prime consideration for building a home for homesteading ranchers was getting some sort of wind break by building at the base of a hill side. Nearly all of the newer mansions are placed on a high ridge line to capture as much view as possible. That is also a great location for feeling the full brunt of the wind. I shake my head a bit at that.

One observation I've made many years ago is that the prime consideration for building a home for homesteading ranchers was getting some sort of wind break by building at the base of a hill side. Nearly all of the newer mansions are placed on a high ridge line to capture as much view as possible. That is also a great location for feeling the full brunt of the wind. I shake my head a bit at that.
I've heard those sites jokingly referred to as "Sound of Music" lots. Shows on TV and social media are not helping out with this latest trend.

Don't forget that Montana mountain livin' attracts those of modest means as well...

Eaten by a bear, surrounded by woofs, livin' next to the Unabomber, or a militia compound. May as well just let everyone know you're taking your life into your own hands by moving to MT.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back