Well There Goes Idaho

I worry about my kids being able to afford to stay and live nearby us. Imagine just entering the workforce and staring at these prices.
That is the situation my son is in here in Boise. He is making good money for a 24 year old, but the price of housing is rising faster than he can save for a down payment on a house. A decent 2-3 bedroom home is almost impossible to find for a first time home buyer.

That's not how this works. Denver's population growth increased with housing prices. I cant figure it out.
That's actually exactly how it works. The only ways to keep a place that has intrinsic qualities that people want and are willing to pay for, out, is: 1. physical remoteness (only works to some degree; see Jasper) 2. Uneconomical (see Martha's Vineyard) 3. eliminate buildable land (plenty of places have used conservation easements or public lands to limit growth). But if you want jobs and you want pretty scenery and lots of public lands then you'll also get immigrants who are looking for those same things. If you don't think I "get it" I grew up in a community that went from dying from lack of jobs to mostly second homes. Everyone pushed for more jobs, more growth, now everyone hates their new neighbors. It makes zero sense.

We all love America because of the "pursuit of happiness" part, until someone else's happiness conflicts with ours.

Some people may not realize that there is an impact on all of us and in many other indirect areas. For instance, it does have an impact on local and county taxes that you have to pay. Although the property values are set by assessor's assessment, and are overseen from the state, the values have little effect on taxes when property values are raised. People get heated because their property values have increased due to the influx of new residence paying higher property cost. The taxes are set by the levy impose by the commissioners base on funds needed to operate the county. So taxes don't necessarily raise with the value of the assessment. If everyone is honest and reports accurately, everyone pays a fair share. As long as people are not claiming exemptions that the are not entitled to. But with more infrastructure, schools needed, and other services, the taxes will most likely be raised to accommodate more people needing these services. The growth is 3 or 4 times the rate that was expected when the levy was set.

So an influx of people from other states does have an impact on all of us and it's only natural to resist the rapid growth us "Locals" are expect to encounter.

That's actually exactly how it works. The only ways to keep a place that has intrinsic qualities that people want and are willing to pay for, out, is: 1. physical remoteness (only works to some degree; see Jasper) 2. Uneconomical (see Martha's Vineyard) 3. eliminate buildable land (plenty of places have used conservation easements or public lands to limit growth). But if you want jobs and you want pretty scenery and lots of public lands then you'll also get immigrants who are looking for those same things. If you don't think I "get it" I grew up in a community that went from dying from lack of jobs to mostly second homes. Everyone pushed for more jobs, more growth, now everyone hates their new neighbors. It makes zero sense.

We all love America because of the "pursuit of happiness" part, until someone else's happiness conflicts with ours.
Just trying to say that increased housing costs dont automatically translate to a slowdown in population growth. Not sure what point you're post is trying to make with most of this in regards to housing costs pricing people out of a particular market. Maybe I need a beer?

I saw this picture below and thought of this thread. Check out the ONE year house price increase in New Zealand:

Attachments

• 8782407B-1F94-4F9C-BA13-B08BBA6F584C.jpeg
    8782407B-1F94-4F9C-BA13-B08BBA6F584C.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 22
Everyone laughed and mocked Californians when the state started going down the tubes never considering those people would soon be moving to other western states once Cali hit critical mass as far as wacky politics goes, now those beliefs are being exported all over the western US.

Feds should have dealt with the lawlessness and rebellion when they had the chance. Its too late now....like they say as California goes so goes the rest of the nation.

Some truth to this. And it ain't just Californians. mtmuley
Yep on the East coast they hate New York cold so they move to Florida and hate the heat so they go halfway back to home and end up in North Carolina and proceed to turn it into New York which they left and talked trash about. It’s even worse when they get involved in politics. We call those folks half backs 😂

Yep on the East coast they hate New York cold so they move to Florida and hate the heat so they go halfway back to home and end up in North Carolina and proceed to turn it into New York which they left and talked trash about. It’s even worse when they get involved in politics. We call those folks half backs 😂
My SIL and her husband are over with the cold and crappy weather of Green Bay, and have narrowed down their relocation choices to Charlotte or Austin. I hope they pick Charlotte. I know its growing like a weed, but it's still a nice town and area relative to most places. They lean conservative and not sure how well they would do in Austin.

My SIL and her husband are over with the cold and crappy weather of Green Bay, and have narrowed down their relocation choices to Charlotte or Austin. I hope they pick Charlotte. I know its growing like a weed, but it's still a nice town and area relative to most places. They lean conservative and not sure how well they would do in Austin.
Charlotte isn’t too bad. I’m 25 miles or so east of it. If they move here and you visit them feel free to look me up.

It's funny reading the comments here. Complaining about Californians while using technology developed by them while using devices made by them. Also reaping the financial benefits of it being the 5th largest economy in the world.

I don't think that anyone has a problem with the immigrant part of it. The problem is when they bring all the bs with them, that they are fleeing to start with. They need to immigrate and become part of the society that is there, instead of creating another mess.
Probably the same thing native Americans thought when folks came in claiming private land ownership, putting up fences, killing game just for sport, ...

Bottom line is we’re all immigrants. We should stop being so judgmental and appreciate our differences.

Last week I saw an article on the lowest price home in Bozeman. It was a small, old fixer-upper and it was $379,000.
I think they dropped the price. My son just graduated college in CO and is moving to Bozeman. He sent me a link to a house he found on Zillow for $359k. 3BR/2BA 1429 sqft 0.2 acre lot built 1996. Given his current financial situation, he’ll likely end up in our off-grid cabin closer to Livingston...

I’d like to put my neck out here and offer a different point of view. One i’m very familiar with.
Yes, MOST Californians are indeed jerk libtards, but a VAST majority of them leaving CA are, well were, the last conservative holdouts. These are genuine people you would actually want in your state to help keep the votes conservative ( read: Republican). Most of the CA liberals leaving went to Colorado, nearly identical liberal politics.
All the conservatives went Texas, Utah, or Idaho.
The summer of 2018 was the height of the exodus. Four of my five closest friends left the state. Two to Texas, two to Idaho. I cant speak for Idaho, but have been to Texas, great people who held arms open to the refugees. And thats really what they, we, are. Refugees. Leaving an absolutely hostile state that has forced us out. Not because we want to, its our home, but because we’re forced to for so many reasons theres too much to list here. Its beyond your imagination. Its worse than youve ever heard.
Trust me, i’ve lived it for 44 years.
I myself refuse to leave my home. I will stand and fight even if i’m the last conservative in the state.
My incrediable appreciation to all you gents that would understand and not treat us necessarily as Californians, but as Americans.

Back