Wednesday Gun Pron - Rubbing one out

Ben Lamb

The stock on the Browning SXS was a heavy coat of varnish over what looked like a fairly dull piece of walnut. It's a first year production gun, with 26 inch barrels, fixed modified & full chokes.

3 coats of citristrip, followed by 10 coats of Boiled Linseed Oil later, and it's curing until the end of the moth. I got lucky with the checkering and didn't need to freshen it up. Just hit it with a bronze brush to clear out the varnish. Overall, it's turning out pretty nice.

Luckily for me, the wife didn't say too much when I hung it in the guest bathroom to speed up a tacky coat of oil.

Attachments

• af8db91d-3556-4503-82c6-3aa671d18c76.jpg
    af8db91d-3556-4503-82c6-3aa671d18c76.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 441
Looks great! I just dropped off my grandfather's Parker with Charlie in Bozeman to give it the once over so I can hopefully hunt with it this fall. I've never shot it; I can't wait to take it out.

Last edited:
Had Ben pegged for more of a rope guy.:confused:

No way am I saying 'nice wood'

I do protect my assets.

Post that Parker when it's done!

There's a fox sterling at a lgs for a song, but it's in rough shape. Tough to walk away from.

You're doing a good job of rubbing that one out:hump:

You're doing a good job of rubbing that one out:hump:

Thanks. Using your method outlined with your shotgun, but boiled linseed oil as the finish

7mm, yep. 83 year old house, the window is the shower ventilation for the time being.

We have the same shower ventilation, 81 year old house.

Are you wet sanding to fill the pores?

We have the same shower ventilation, 81 year old house.

Are you wet sanding to fill the pores?

Yes. I did the 1st coat to soak the wood, 2nd & 3rd coats I wet sanded with 150 & 320 grit, adding some walnut dust from a spare piece i had laying around to make sure the pores are filled. That was followed with 2 coats of light oil sanded outnwith 600 grit, and 5 coats polished out with 0000 steel wool. I'm weighing a ax coat to make it a little shinier but for now, it's looking nice.

That you noticed enough to comment shows you to be a finely coiffed gentleman.

equally good.

Post your guns - I will take a picture of a safe queen for next week's post.
Now back to the subject matter =
Nice work on the stock sir.

After my poor performance at trap last night, this thing needs to get back in working order.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back