Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Weatherby - Vanguard vs. Mark V

I had a first gen Vangard. Hated the thing!
Would consistently put first 3 shots of the day in 1 MOA.
Anything after that, groups opened up exponentially! Litterally!

If you want a Weatherby, buy a Mark V!

The Vanguards have a pressure point at the end of the factory stock. Does that change with the H&S stock? Is the change better than design?
I dropped it in the H&S ten minutes after getting it home - the one I got 3-4 years ago came with the hogue overmold style stock that I very much dislike so I can't compare before and after.

I had a first gen Vangard. Hated the thing!
Would consistently put first 3 shots of the day in 1 MOA.
Anything after that, groups opened up exponentially! Litterally!

If you want a Weatherby, buy a Mark V!
2nd gen Vanguard made a number of improvements. My V2 is at least as heat stable as my Tikkas.

If its a rifle you plan to keep for 10-20 years, get a Weatherby MK V. If you plan to shoot it for a year and trade it for something else, just buy a Vanguard.

I have 2 Vanguards and one Mark 5. I will say the Mark 5 stands way above the Vanguard. Action is much smoother, trigger is much crisper (vanguard has a two stage trigger which I like but I have to remember that’s what I’m shooting), Mark 5 is made in USA and is stamped with my Home-state of Wyo on the receiver.

If you can afford the vanguard only you won’t be disappointed. It will shoot MOa or less if you can. I reload so I think that helps with even tighter groupings.

The Mark 5 was easier to find a load that worked then the vanguards. Not sure if that is something everyone else sees or not?

I bought a couple of the all stainless sub-moa versions that came with the nice stocks.. can't remember if they were bell and Carson or hs precision. They both like nosler partitions. They are a little heavy but my biggest complaint is that the stock is a little big for me.

I'm in the multi step program of weaning from rifle purchases, but were I to backslide, one of those Weathermarks would get my attention. That said, my experience with Weatherby has a checkered history. From a mule kicking accuracy finicky 300 Wby Mag FibreMark to a boat anchor .257 Wby Mag AccuMark....both were short lived. Do love that .257 Wby chambering in a 700 CDL tho. And one 7 Mag Vanguard...it went cheap.

I have a Vanguard 2 in 300WM that I've never gotten to shoot consistently with handloads or factory ammo. It is currently at Beanland's getting another barrel. Won't buy another one.

Love my Howa 6.5 CM with bell&carlson medilist stock,MOA all day with factory ammo .Tried 3 differant ammo all shoot MOA .

Bought a Vanguard 2 in 257 wmag a couple of weeks ago. It stays in the truck, so no Mark V. I will load for it when I can find some primers, but it will shoot factory Hornady 90 gr GMX into 5/8”. It does have a pressure point at the end of the stock (digicam model). Not gonna float it as long as it shoots like this. On a side note I love the cartridge, after reading about it here I had to have one. Already smoked a couple of coyotes, just hold on hair to about 375.

I have both a 30/06 6 lug Mark 5 and 2 Vanguard S2 in stainless, a 270 Win and a 7mm Mag. I prefer the Vanguard.
contary to what you here I like the stock that comes with the rifles. All three will shoot under a 1" at a hundred yard.The Tikka and the Sako A7 are fine rifles. For the price the all weather model 70 looks .

I was going to pick up a vanguard for my son, mostly because I am bored.
Looking at the Camilla wilderness and Vanguard synthetic Compact .....I take the price difference is the quality of the stock.
Thanks for all the info

I was going to pick up a vanguard for my son, mostly because I am bored.
Looking at the Camilla wilderness and Vanguard synthetic Compact .....I take the price difference is the quality of the stock.
Thanks for all the info
I believe the Camilla wilderness has a B&C stock.

2nd gen Vanguard made a number of improvements. My V2 is at least as heat stable as my Tikkas.
I have a Vanguard 2 in .308. I haven't shot it enough to see if the groups open up with a hot barrel. I can shoot on private property with a lake so I usually cast a line when the barrel gets warm.

It's like buying a Chevy vs. a Cadillac. Both will get you to the grocery store.
Good analogy, although I've never driven a Cadillac or shot a Mark V.

I do have 3 Vanguards, a blued .300 Wby and 2 stainless in .308 Win and .223. None have ever fired a factory round. All will shoot moa or less 3 shot groups. The .223 has shot several one hole 3-shot groups with dropped charge handloads.

I bought the .300 in 2009 and immediately put the barrel and action in a Fancy Walnut stock that I made, and had a KDF brake put on it. I've taken it on 5 international and several western hunts.

I also re-worked the stocks on the .223 and .308. I lengthened these stocks 1/2" and fitted them with Limbsaver recoil pads, then I re-painted the stocks and added a spider web. I pillar and glass bed all my stocks and the barrels are free floated. I really enjoy taking these two rifles on my weekly trips to the range and just laying down prone and ringing the 200, 300, and 430 yard gongs.

All of these rifles have Leupold VX 3i scopes with their CDS turrets.

UkPFUmWl.jpg

Back