Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Weatherby - Vanguard vs. Mark V

Wild Bill

I've been looking at picking up a Weatherby for a while now and just wanted some input on the difference between the Mark V and the Vanguards, as I don't have any personal experience with either.
Obviously there are plenty of differences between the two models (triggers, accubrake, different stocks and barrels, etc.) but what I am wondering is more about performance.
Does the Vanguard shoot as well as the Mark V? Can I expect the same results on paper between the two models?
I'd imagine that some of what you're paying up for in the Mark V does separate the two models, but by how much? The Vanguard is still guaranteed sub-MOA like the Mark V (with factory ammo).
$700 for the Weatherguard looks a lot more appealing than $1,500 for the Weathermark if they're both going to shoot the same...
Thanks for any input.

Are you going to handload? If so, I’d say go for the Mark V. That action is hard to beat for strength and you might need it someday if you run into misadventure with the powder measure.

I cant provide any input on the difference between the two but I can say that I am very happy with the Vanguard in 7mm RM that I purchased for my sons. We shoot factory ammo. The gun is far more accurate than either of them are. This is the first season they have used it, and they have punched 4 tags with it. They are 14 and 13 and love shooting this gun over what they had prior. BTW, if you want a finicky, inconsistent, difficult to shoot, POS Kimber MA in 7mm-08 they will gladly sell it to you.

If you want a Howa in a weatherby style stock then buy the Vanguard. If you want a weatherby then buy the mark v. I really like my two mark v rifles but they are 270 and 300 magnums and I rarely hunt with them. I have several hunting buddies that have vanguards and they shoot great. They love them. If your just looking for a great shooting rifle in a standard caliber (nonweatherby mag)then I would buy the vanguard. They arent the same rifles by a long shot in price or construction. Despite owning two Mark v I doubt I would buy another. For my use and taste they are two heavy and I dont care for a 26 inch barrel. Its just a matter of what you want to pay. You likely wont see $1500 difference in performance in the same caliber. Just my opinion.

The vanguard 2 rifles are essentially re-branded Howa 1500s - great rifles as long as you get one with the better synthetic stock or put in an H&S stock. I have one in 25-06 with H&S stock and love it (but not quite as much as I love my Tikkas or Bergara). The true Weatherbys are made by Weatherby directly and are quite different - also great rifles but higher up the fit and finish ladder. Either will shoot sub MOA and function flawlessly with minimal maintenance. Both will take game, its really up to personal preference.

There was a time in my life I would have bought the Vangaurd. But I used to drink Jack Daniels, Coors and wine out of a box. Did the job, looks ok. Know I prefer the finer things in life. High End Rifles, Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek, Bakers, Angles Envy, and Silver Oak Wine. Coors still sucks.

I won a vanguard in 300WM last year. I'd have never bought one, didn't necessarily need one. But, that rifle is the best shooting factory rifle I've ever owned. I have a few custom 700's that will out shoot it with hand loads. But the performance of the Vanguard comes darn close for a lot less $.

The vanguard 2 rifles are essentially re-branded Howa 1500s - great rifles as long as you get one with the better synthetic stock or put in an H&S stock. I have one in 25-06 with H&S stock and love it (but not quite as much as I love my Tikkas or Bergara). The true Weatherbys are made by Weatherby directly and are quite different - also great rifles but higher up the fit and finish ladder. Either will shoot sub MOA and function flawlessly with minimal maintenance. Both will take game, its really up to personal preference.

I agree with everything Vikingsguy has said but would suggest you read his sentence --"The true Weatherbys are made by Weatherby directly and are quite different-also great rifles but higher up the fit and finish ladder."

And then reread post number 2 from noharlyyet.

This is where I am at. If you want a Weatherby, then buy a Weatherby, you wont regret it. Not everyone will agree, as some dont like the barrel length, the finish or the price, but since you ask, I like what I call "real" Weatherby's and have ever since I walked past the Polar Bear in their South Gate store.

Does bolt throw bother you at all? The vanguard has a 90 degree throw where as the mark v has a 54 degree. I’ve had both the 54 does seem or did to me that it took some getting used too.

If you want a Howa in a weatherby style stock then buy the Vanguard. If you want a weatherby then buy the mark v. I really like my two mark v rifles but they are 270 and 300 magnums and I rarely hunt with them. I have several hunting buddies that have vanguards and they shoot great. They love them. If your just looking for a great shooting rifle in a standard caliber (nonweatherby mag)then I would buy the vanguard. They arent the same rifles by a long shot in price or construction. Despite owning two Mark v I doubt I would buy another. For my use and taste they are two heavy and I dont care for a 26 inch barrel. Its just a matter of what you want to pay. You likely wont see $1500 difference in performance in the same caliber. Just my opinion.
Why a non- magnum? Strength of action? I see that weatherby is offering the vanguards in 6.5-300 wby. Too much boom in a howa action?

I have a couple Mark Vs and a couple Vanguards. They are all shooters, the MKVs are nicer. I have never considered changing stocks or any other mods for the MKV, my Vanguard may get a HS precision someday.

Have you done any tinkering with it? I bedded my Hunter.
The extent of my gunsmithing skills begins and ends with mounting scopes and changing triggers on Rem 700's. I've tried remounting and different scopes but the problem remains. No consistency. Flyers all over the place. Could easily be me, but my boys get the same issues. I dont get any of these problems with any of my other guns. This is my only real light weight rifle. Studied up and watched a few tutorials on how to shoot these featherweights but no real success. At this point I have said F it with this gun. I am going to try to sell it to someone that hunts the same units I do.;)

Sorry to derail. Vanguards are great shooters.

Thanks for all the input. Basically confirms what I was assuming.
Thinking the .257 Mag is what I'll be getting eventually and more than likely in the Vanguard. It's not that I don't appreciate nice things, but I'm more of less looking for a workhorse than a show pony, if that makes any sense. The difference in price also opens me up for additional funds to be used on higher quality glass.

I have two Vanguard S2s (6.5 and .308). They'll both shoot 0.5 MOA if my head is on straight.

IMO, the factory triggers were just ok, so I swapped them both with Timneys and they shot better. Also thought the stocks were ugly, so over time I swapped them both for HS Precision.

Very happy with both of them now. Personally wouldn't pay the extra for the Mk V. Also wouldn't pay $20 for a hammer when I could get a similar but less shiny one for $5. Really can't go wrong either way though.

Last edited:
The Vanguards have a pressure point at the end of the factory stock. Does that change with the H&S stock? Is the change better than design?
I changed mine from the factory stock to having the barrel float in the HS Precision. Don't remember if it changed the POI, but they shoot great floated in the HSP.

Back