Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Weatherby - Vanguard vs. Mark V

It's like buying a Chevy vs. a Cadillac. Both will get you to the grocery store.

This is so true

in fact I have been dreaming about being Hunting Wife, Panda Bear, or Randi's age and purchasing a

2021 Mid Engine Corvette Stingray . Never underestimate the therapeutic power of driving a nicely balanced mid engine sports car while listening to loud music on the way to the grocery store

oh I forget, --- Cadillacs are nice also.

;)

Last edited:
I would definitely rather have a Vanguard2 (howa 1500) in a nice stock with a Leupold 5HD or 6HD than a Mark V with a low-end Vortex crossfire.

This post pushed me over the edge the other day, I have a Vanguard Wilderness in .257wby coming now, and without leaving my budget I can buy the scope the rifle deserves...I love Christmas! :p

I bought a vanguard 2 last year in 7mm rem mag and it is the first Weatherby I've owned. I was raised on Winchester model 70s and marlins. It does everything I want it to do and more. I will be picking up a HS precision stock for it in the next year since I don't care much for the cheap stock on it now. Still with purchasing the HS precision stock I will still be under $1300 dollars and have a very nice rifle minus the aesthetic appeal, triggertech trigger and the muzzle brake.

I bought a vanguard 2 last year in 7mm rem mag and it is the first Weatherby I've owned. I was raised on Winchester model 70s and marlins. It does everything I want it to do and more. I will be picking up a HS precision stock for it in the next year since I don't care much for the cheap stock on it now. Still with purchasing the HS precision stock I will still be under $1300 dollars and have a very nice rifle minus the aesthetic appeal, triggertech trigger and the muzzle brake.

I bought a Howa 6.5 3-4 years ago with that multicam stock they had. The rifle shot well but I didn't like the stock so I put an HS stock on it, it made the rifle shoot even better, I'm very happy with that one.

The vanguard I picked up was the badlands version which is all well and good but it's still a cheap stock. If I could go back I would have bought the howa 1500 in 7mm rem mag with the heavy barrel or knowing that howa was going to put out a carbon fiber rifle for under $1500 I would have picked that up.

as mentioned in past threads, my husband is a Weatherby fan and has both models. There is a place, in the field, to fit ones personality and what one wants in a rifle, in these two models. He likes the Mark V not just because of the "fit and finish", but that also. However the Vanguard requires much less maintenance and costs less.

April, you nailed it, although I know you were joking, you made a good point. Chevy, like Weatherby, comes in different styles and models. They will all get you to the grocery store or put meat on the table, but they handle differently, feel differently, look differently and in your scenario and joke, I too will take the Chevy and the Mark V :cool:

Last edited:
This post pushed me over the edge the other day, I have a Vanguard Wilderness in .257wby coming now, and without leaving my budget I can buy the scope the rifle deserves...I love Christmas! :p
I had an older scope on mine but it quit holding zero so I need a new one and am waiting until after Christmas to see what kind of gift cards I get before I put a new one on there.

I have three Mark Vs, 270 Roy, 340 Roy both in the walnut deluxe version and a Safari Classic 375 H&H in a classic style walnut stock by Weatherby. I also have a Vanguard VGX in the deluxe style walnut stock chambered for 270 Win. I've taken moose, elk, bear, four North American wild sheep, deer, caribou, antelope with some and all of them. I didn't like the two stage trigger on the Vanguard and replaced it with a Timney. Problem solved. What's not to like? GJ

Last edited:
I have a USA made Weatherby Mark V Sporter in .300 Wby. mag., and a Weatherby Vanguard 2 Lazerguard in .257 Wby. mag...both guns have walnut stocks. Mark V has a 26" barrel, 9 lug bolt, is heavier, has a great trigger, and the fit and finish is excellent. Lazerguard has the beautiful engraved stock, 24" barrel, 2 lug bolt, 2 stage trigger. I use Weatherby factory ammo...165 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips out of the .300, and 115 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips out of the .257 and both guns shoot great and are proven deer killers. I like them both a lot, but the Mark V is a better gun (should be for the cost!) and if I could only have one it would be the Mark V. That said, I believe that the Vanguard 2's are great rifles for the money.

Last edited:
I have a USA made Weatherby Mark V Sporter in .300 Wby. mag., and a Weatherby Vanguard 2 Lazerguard in .257 Wby. mag...both guns have walnut stocks. Mark V has a 26" barrel, 9 lug bolt, is heavier, has a great trigger, and the fit and finish is excellent. Lazerguard has the beautiful engraved stock, 24" barrel, 2 lug bolt, 2 stage trigger. I use Weatherby factory ammo...165 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips out of the .300, and 115 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips out of the .257 and both guns shoot great and are proven deer killers. I like them both a lot, but the Mark V is a better gun (should be for the cost!) and if I could only have one it would be the Mark V.
Sporters are classy platforms. IMO they are aesthetically right up there with the Ruger #1.

I picked up a Vanguard Sporter Deluxe (I think) from Wal Mart a few years ago in a 270 win for $350 and the thing is a tack driver. It has an old Burris 3x9 on it. I just wish it was a couple pounds lighter, but it’s one I’ll never let go of. They also had a 308 win for sale at the time and I’m kicking myself for not picking that one up to. I am wanting to pick up a new Mark v in the 6.5 RPM for a lighter mountain gun.

I was sold a Weatherby Vanguard as if it were a magic bean with magic beanstalk potential. It was used and the seller wanted to trade me for a single shot 204 Ruger. He told me you could put any .308 caliber round in the chamber and it would shoot sub moa and hold 2 inches high of zero at 100 yards. I shook his hand and took the magic bean and went to the range after buying military ball rounds, green and yellow boxed Remington and some hand loads.

150 grains, ball rounds, handloads.

Everything shot out of the barrel of that gun hits 2” high at 100 yards and holds 1” MOA. I got the magic beanstalk of rifles!

308 Winchester for the win!

150 grains, 165 grains, doesn’t matter it all holds 0

the least picky/finicky rifle I have ever seen!

I have been in the South Gate original shop,Atascadero/Paso Robles ones. I remember the giant polar bear Europe!
I have always wanted a MK V in 30-06.
There is a walnut model in lefty in a local shop I drool over. Would have been a done deal if it was a righty.

Even with a 700 tack driver, I want a MK V -06 in maple.
Someday

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back