Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Wall Tent for Family Camping

gperezjr

Hi Folks,

Curious to hear whether anybody uses their wall tent for both hunting and family camping trips? With a little one on the way, wanting a bit more comfortable setup but trying not to move into camper territory. I’m in the market for a wall tent for hunting trips but am I trying to be too frugal by trying to serve dual purpose?

If you shop on Craigslist you can find good deals. I use my DAVIS tent for living in while working on pipeline projects, family visits, and hunting. The only down side is the amount of space they take up during transport. I normally live in a tent for 6-8 months out of the year to save on living expenses, such as motels, rv’s, campers, cabins, etc. My kids have been with me in pretty cold temperatures, my daughter was around 16-18 months old during her first overnight stay in a wall tent.

Attachments

• 8E2BBFE3-0028-4E61-9A30-E0834FD57728.jpeg
    8E2BBFE3-0028-4E61-9A30-E0834FD57728.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 21
I've used my wall tent for relaxing fishing, family, and hunt trips.

Side note: If you go that route... kinda fun to bring a good sharpie. Allows memories to be written on the inside of the walls, etc. Peaceful nights resting on the bunk and viewing around reading comments of past adventures by friends that are, have passed, etc - really becomes a wall of reflection. Live to work or work to live...

Hi Folks,

Curious to hear whether anybody uses their wall tent for both hunting and family camping trips? With a little one on the way, wanting a bit more comfortable setup but trying not to move into camper territory. I’m in the market for a wall tent for hunting trips but am I trying to be too frugal by trying to serve dual purpose?
Aquila & Priscilla Tentmakers - Speegleville, TX. Sort of a Waco, TX surburb.
You can order whatever your heart desires or your pocketbook allows from an Army style bivouac to a circus tent.

If you shop on Craigslist you can find good deals. I use my DAVIS tent for living in while working on pipeline projects, family visits, and hunting. The only down side is the amount of space they take up during transport. I normally live in a tent for 6-8 months out of the year to save on living expenses, such as motels, rv’s, campers, cabins, etc. My kids have been with me in pretty cold temperatures, my daughter was around 16-18 months old during her first overnight stay in a wall tent.
I like your setup and have a similar one myself. You may know this but you can order a 3 piece angle kit for your awning and cut a few more pieces of conduit and it will really beef up your awning and make it hold up to higher winds, snow, etc...

I find Spike Tent designs in Synthetic materials to be a good multi season tent. In 2009 I bought a 12x12 from a formerly good Big Box Outdoor Chain for $800 and they threw in 2 free cots. If I needed to replace it I would check with the major Wall Tent Mfgrs.

We've got both Kodiak Canvas and a wall tent. I like the wall tent for colder weather, because of the stove - but have camped in the Kodiak into November before. For just family camping in the summer and early fall, the Kodiak is great. It doesn't take up as much space in the truck / transport as the wall tent. Easier to setup and less expensive when you include a frame.

If we're out for 2-3 days then it's the Kodiak. More than that and the wall tent is worth it to me.

Big fan of the Mt. Canvas also. Better half has it set up for “Glamping” on our spring trips and fall trips. Wish I’d thought about camping with girls when I was young.

Thanks all for the input everyone! Seems I’ll be just fine with a new wall tent that fits both scenarios.

Took my family of four on our first camping trip with a Davis wall tent a couple weeks ago (picture of campsite below). The tent performed flawlessly. Lots of room, kept us dry and comfortable. It is time consuming to set up and take down and the time necessary to dry out when we got home was a bit of a nuisance but I think worth it.
A question I have for the experienced wall tent user is related to transport. As you can see from the picture, i had to use a utility trailer to bring all the necessary gear (or at least all the gear my wife thought necessary). I borrowed the trailer and now am contemplating between getting a topper for my truck or buying a trailer. When I bought the wall tent one of the appeals was that I could get further into backcountry than I could if I bought a camper so the trailer option seems less appealing to me. Any advice? 24757022-B1A2-4178-83A4-9C57795BD030.jpeg

Wall tent. Make sure you get windows on both sides and rear with screens, plexiglass and canvas. Randy also suggested getting a d-ring on the back for a tie out when wind is whipping around GREAT IDEA. Also get a full front screen and canvas door.

I've got a topper with a rack & a large Yakima box. It holds my camp, 2 dog boxes & all of my hunting gear. It would be a pretty tight squeeze to include the myriad of things the boss would want to take onna camping trip but it can be done.

Took my family of four on our first camping trip with a Davis wall tent a couple weeks ago (picture of campsite below). The tent performed flawlessly. Lots of room, kept us dry and comfortable. It is time consuming to set up and take down and the time necessary to dry out when we got home was a bit of a nuisance but I think worth it.
A question I have for the experienced wall tent user is related to transport. As you can see from the picture, i had to use a utility trailer to bring all the necessary gear (or at least all the gear my wife thought necessary). I borrowed the trailer and now am contemplating between getting a topper for my truck or buying a trailer. When I bought the wall tent one of the appeals was that I could get further into backcountry than I could if I bought a camper so the trailer option seems less appealing to me. Any advice? View attachment 229653
Might be worthwhile to run a topper, plus a hitch carrier. I would think that could get you enough room to fit everything and be more mobile.

Hitch carrier you could use for your cooler and totes, but having an Artic cooler, you might need to worry about locking it down to the carrier somehow. Because, you know, people suck and steal stuff...

Nice looking camp tho! Have any pictures of the interior set up?

Wall tent. Make sure you get windows on both sides and rear with screens, plexiglass and canvas. Randy also suggested getting a d-ring on the back for a tie out when wind is whipping around GREAT IDEA. Also get a full front screen and canvas door.
I did all those things except the d ring. In fact I have heard Randy say that before so I asked the folks at Davis tent about it and they didn’t seem to think it would help that much. At least they did not suggest the d ring.

I've got a topper with a rack & a large Yakima box. It holds my camp, 2 dog boxes & all of my hunting gear. It would be a pretty tight squeeze to include the myriad of things the boss would want to take onna camping trip but it can be done.
Thanks for the reply. I figure for hunting I will have all the additional space in the cab I don’t have when family is with. Perhaps a topper would be the way to go…any suggestions on brands/features? I have a buddy who is getting the ‘flated’ topper (an inflatable topper) but I have reservations about that…anybody have one that can vouch for it?

Might be worthwhile to run a topper, plus a hitch carrier. I would think that could get you enough room to fit everything and be more mobile.

Hitch carrier you could use for your cooler and totes, but having an Artic cooler, you might need to worry about locking it down to the carrier somehow. Because, you know, people suck and steal stuff...

Nice looking camp tho! Have any pictures of the interior set up?
Good suggestions, I’ll have to look into the hitch carriers. I’ll see if I can find a picture of the interior.

Thanks for the reply. I figure for hunting I will have all the additional space in the cab I don’t have when family is with. Perhaps a topper would be the way to go…any suggestions on brands/features? I have a buddy who is getting the ‘flated’ topper (an inflatable topper) but I have reservations about that…anybody have one that can vouch for it?

I bought a used Leer topper and added the Thule rack system. I think it was around $1500 all in, IIRC but that was in '19. The Yakima box on top we had already for the car thanks to the dogs demanding the back of the old Rav 4. The rack system in nice on a topper as you can use it for a multitude of things including a bike rack, adding a grate on top for larger loads, etc. You just need to watch your overall height & be ready to be top heavy if you overload.

Definitely go with a hard sided topper. I've only ever had Leers, so that's been my go-to.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back