Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

wall tent camping necessities list?

MThuntr

Ok Kodiak Tent arrived. I ordered a Camp Chef woodstove and it arrives this afternoon. Turns out I need to get a fire blanket because the Kodiak has a full floor and no cutout for stove. I have a cot and standard sleeping gear. There's a center pole that I'm going to add a hanger for a lantern but I do have a USB LED string light (the white color I chose is obscenely bright so I'm not excited about that) and a battery box that I'm going to build...on/off switch, 2 USB ports, voltmeter, and 12volt plug in a plastic ammo can wired to small 12v brick battery. Hopefully be good to charge electronics and have some light for a few days. If it only lasts a couple days that should probably be fine.

Since there is a floor, I'm going to have to add a broom and tent shoes.

What items do you add to a small/medium lodge tent assuming I have the basics cover?

Get a welding blanket/fire blanket that's at least 4 ft by 6 ft.

Stove gasket & cement. The Camp Chef stove does much better when you put a gasket on the door. It increased my burn time by about 40% or better.

Ash bucket & a small ash scoop

LED lanterns. Have at least 3 of them.

Small table & chairs for inside the tent.

Rug for inside, even if you have a floor.

Drywall screws for your stove pipe to help keep it together in the wind

drill/driver for the drywall screws

Outdoor rug for entryway

Kettle for on top of the stove (tea, etc - no cooking in the tent).

Paracord for stringing up a clothes line inside the tent

Stove gasket & cement. The Camp Chef stove does much better when you put a gasket on the door. It increased my burn time by about 40% or better.

Outdoor rug for entryway

I heard the camp chef needs a bit of modification which I'm ok with since they're so much cheaper than similar stoves. Good call on the ash bucket and scoop. I think I have most of the rest of the stuff except actually buying a rug for in and out. I was thinking a nice chunk of AstroTurf.

Ok Kodiak Tent arrived. I ordered a Camp Chef woodstove and it arrives this afternoon. Turns out I need to get a fire blanket because the Kodiak has a full floor and no cutout for stove. I have a cot and standard sleeping gear. There's a center pole that I'm going to add a hanger for a lantern but I do have a USB LED string light (the white color I chose is obscenely bright so I'm not excited about that) and a battery box that I'm going to build...on/off switch, 2 USB ports, voltmeter, and 12volt plug in a plastic ammo can wired to small 12v brick battery. Hopefully be good to charge electronics and have some light for a few days. If it only lasts a couple days that should probably be fine.

Since there is a floor, I'm going to have to add a broom and tent shoes.

What items do you add to a small/medium lodge tent assuming I have the basics cover?
We have the 12x12 Kodiak cabin with the vestibule add on but haven't bought a stove yet. Care to share why you went with camp chef? Just the price in comparison?

Outdoor rug for entryway

Just curious why you say no cooking in tent? I was going to add cast iron skillet, cooking on a cast iron skillet on a wood stove in our wall tent has always been successful. Although for ease it’s hard to beat heating up foil wrapped breakfast sandwiches.

Attachments

• 6216ACF0-55E1-43E8-991B-C61DFACAC9CD.jpeg
    6216ACF0-55E1-43E8-991B-C61DFACAC9CD.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
Get
Just curious why you say no cooking in tent? I was going to add cast iron skillet, cooking on a cast iron skillet on a wood stove in our wall tent has always been successful. Although for ease it’s hard to beat heating up foil wrapped breakfast sandwiches.

1.) Propane cooking in the tent will produce a lot of condensation.

2.) We don't want Grant to be a statistic for fat bear week.

Co2/smoke alarm
Thermal powered stove fan(s) ,
floor runners,
hangers for the tent poles to dry clothes etc(check out Davis tent accessories),
if you don't have a fly, get a tarp at the minimum,
Welding gloves for the stove,
Fire starter cubes/wafers,
Two pairs of slip on shoes,
Tent fabric repair kit or Gorilla tape,

I went and got indoor/outdoor carpet and cut it to the size of our 10x14 Springbar. It adds “warmth” imo, and makes of feel more cozy than the floor. I also have a little plastic boot tray and used the scraps from the carpet as additional rugs.

Other than that Ben’s list seems comprehensive.

Get

1.) Propane cooking in the tent will produce a lot of condensation.

2.) We don't want Grant to be a statistic for fat bear week.

We just store all bear attractants outside the tent (in secure bear safe storage manner). I haven’t done a lot of wall tent camping though so my experience is limited. Good point about propane but it never occurred to me to use it inside the tent because if it’s not nice enough outside to use propane stove then I more than likely have a fire going so just used the wood stove on those days. Cast iron skillet works with both though.

I've used propane heaters in my wall tent and didnt have any condensation issues. It was also just warm enough to keep me from freezing to death. Probably something to do with it. Someday ill buy a wood stove.

Not sure what size tent you have, but hanging fabric pantries are always better than stacking crap on the floor. The disco bed bunks have an optional storage unit that goes on the end for gear also.
Hopefully whatever size tent you bought was the "next size up" from what you think you need.
Trust me

I'm not a fan of having my tent and all of my gear smelling like bacon or whatever was cooked. Admittedly I'll probably cook in it eventually because one day the weather will be garbage and won't want to be outside.

We have the 12x12 Kodiak cabin with the vestibule add on but haven't bought a stove yet. Care to share why you went with camp chef? Just the price in comparison?
Price mostly $200ish delivered with the racks, log rack, damper, and stove pipe...price is currently $219 on Amazon. I knew it required some basic modification to be efficient but that's like $10. I don't know if I like the silly loop on the closure so I may try to figure out an upgrade to that. I don't have a want for a water tank since I have 2 tea kettle/percolators but I know Colorado Stoves are supposed to be better but that is double the cost of the Camp Chef. I considered Reilly stoves but again once you add the not included nesting pipe you're pushing double the cost of a camp chef. I'm not sure about longevity but 3 weeks of use a year I'm guessing it'll be just fine as long as I take care of it. I really also considered the Kni-Co stove also.

Get a Disc-o-bed for a cot and use the upper for gear storage.
I'm considering these but only for added storage space for gear. Keeps things out of the way and then bags can go on the top to dig through at a proper height.

Not sure what size tent you have, but hanging fabric pantries are always better than stacking crap on the floor. The disco bed bunks have an optional storage unit that goes on the end for gear also.
Hopefully whatever size tent you bought was the "next size up" from what you think you need.
Trust me
12x12 tent. 95% of the time it's just me or 1 other person. I tend to need to sleep alone because I don't fall asleep easily and am a light sleeper so less people the better. This is an upgrade from a Big Agnes 2 person tent or my tipi which doesn't get used much because I want to be able to move around have have a better base of operations.

Last edited:
Most of the important stuff has been covered.
I use those small aluminum bread pans to scoop out the ash.
I hang a couple of chem lights by the door so I can find my way out at night if I lose my headlamp.
I’m paranoid so I have two monoxide detectors.
If you forget the screws and driver buy a roll of high temp flue tape, it helped on my last trip.
Those compressed sawdust bricks are a good supplement to wood at night; they burn slow.
Don’t know that it’s really needed but I bought one of those magnetic stove thermometers that goes on the pipe. I can glance at it and see if I need to add wood or dampen it down.
Also have a indoor/outdoor thermometer just so I can see what the temps are in and out.
I just use leather work gloves when working with the stove but be aware I’ve had the stitching melt on some of the cheaper gloves and burn me. Quality gloves have lasted a while now.
The camp chef is pretty drafty, I need to put a gasket on mine.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back