Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

VX Freedom vs VX3HD vs VX5HD

I have the exact same scope, purchased from Schmalts. Excellent glass and lightweight would make the perfect scope for your rifle. I have three or four Leupolds that have CDS, but have not gotten the turrets yet, probably due to the fact that I have not settled on a load for each rifle. Get this scope from Schmalts, you will not be disappointed.

You mentioned that you already have a Trijicon rifle scope. Just out of curiosity, why not get another one?
I have experience with one. The Army issues the Trijicon TA01-NSN to soldiers. I've used it out to 600 M consistently even for it being a fixed 4X scope.
It's also a $1300 scope if you can find one. Unfortunately, the reticle is calibrated for the M855 Ball ammo. I want it for a .280 Remington chambered rifle.

I have used Leupold, Zeiss and Trijicon for quite sometime. On a set it and forget it rifle, I don't care for the Leupold CDS system. I realize that once set, it is like a low profile cap, but it is a pain to set during sighting in compared to a capped turret.

For a set-it and forget it scope, I think that the Trijicon AccuPoint 3-9x40 is hard to beat. It has great glass, is lightweight and is tough as nails. If you don't want an illuminated reticle, Trijicon Huron is a good choice.

To get the 3 or the 5 ? I have both and the answer is simple . . .

If you have the cash get the 5 and don't look back the glass is simply better.

If you are tight on cash and under 40 yo, the 3 is still a decent scope that will get the job in 99% of situations.

If you are tight on cash and over 40 yo I would save up and get the 5 with an illuminated reticle - the better glass and reticle make it much easier on aging eyes.

I have a bunch of vx3, a new vx3hd and a bunch of vx5's. I like the 3 but I would go with the 5 if you can afford it. Better everything IMO. I believe they have the 2-10 without the dial. Personally I like the dial.

It's my understanding that the 30mm are needed for the side range focusing dial.

I have VX Freedom scopes on two of my rifles: a 1" tube 3-9x40 on my .375 RUM (that I used to kill my Alaskan brown bear last year), and a 30mm with side focus tube 6-18x40 on a .308 Win that I enjoy shooting gongs and water filled gallon jugs every week out to 430 yards.

I have VX 3i scopes on four of my other rifles: 30 mm with side focus 4.5-14x40 tubes on my .300 Weatherby and 7 mm Rem mag, a 1" tube 4.5-14x40 on my bolt action .223, and a 1" tube 4.5-14x40 w/ B&C reticle on my .257 Ackley.

I also understand that the VX5 scopes have better glass, but I have been very happy with the performance of the Freedom and 3i scopes that I have been using on many hunts around the world, including my Mozambique leopard that I shot at night.

I have a 3i on a lightweight 308 that is clear, light, and no frills (not sure if they still make them). The vx5 HD I got from schmalts blows it away in clarity, and low light performance. Agree with the over 40 thing. I'm pushing 50 so maybe that's why I love the 5

So, on a lot of forums, I keep seeing problems with VX5s and even 5HD dialing problems. Is this just internet blabber? Schmalts?

So, on a lot of forums, I keep seeing problems with VX5s and even 5HD dialing problems. Is this just internet blabber? Schmalts?
I don't get anyone saying that so I can't say either way. What I do tell people is to look at any complaints in a linear way. Meaning a company that sells a huge volume of scopes will surely end up with a larger number of complaints or praises on the web than one with a small volume. So don't go by the number of people complaining unless you factor in numbers to get a defect to sales volume ratio.

I have probably 10 VX3 HD CDS scopes. Most are 2.5-8 but a few are 3.5-10. Not one has a problem. All are on hunting rifles. I have one that is pre-CDS and I'd rather have just a turret cap instead of that.

Also have 2 VX freedom 3-9's that are great for the money.

I'm going to to other side of the spectrum on this one. The VX freedom line is ok for light usage, on a fair weather rifle. I would never trust one on a dedicated hunting rifle especially if you hunt from horseback or in truly inclement weather.

The Firedot scopes are a fantastic idea on behalf of Leupold, they work exactly as advertised and I'm a huge fan of the motion sensor/inclinometer that automatically turns the optic on/off. That being said, the dot is so large , it's impractical to make any precise shots past 150 yards. If you hunt heavy timber and expect snap shots, the firedot should be just the ticket. If you take long range shots from a prone or fixed position, this optic isn't going to be your friend. On the lowest setting, the illuminated dot covers 5"@100 yards. That is a large margin of error imo.
What scope are you referring too ?
Big difference In lowest setting on difference scopes . 1.5x5 vs 6x30

I'm thinking about getting the vx3hd 1.5-5x20 or vx5hd 1x5x24 in the firedot
Curious about how big the dot will be
I've never owned a red dot on anything but handguns . Haven't shot them past 8yrds yet. This spring I'll get outside and try it.

I'm thinking about getting the vx3hd 1.5-5x20 or vx5hd 1x5x24 in the firedot
Curious about how big the dot will be
I've never owned a red dot on anything but handguns . Haven't shot them past 8yrds yet. This spring I'll get outside and try it.
I have one of the VX3-HD Firedots and the fine crosshairs are wider than the same scope without Firedot with the Leupold Duplex reticle. Assume that is to incorporate the firedot. Don't think it that it is a 5 minute dot, but could easily be 2-3 minutes.

For a long shot I suppose it would be best to shut the firedot off. I'll have it on for close up quick shots. Long shots I'll have time to shut off and turn the zume up too.

I went through a scope decision process not all that long ago...

I considered these three:

VX-3HD 3.5-10x40 CDS-ZL FireDot Twilight Hunter 30MM 180627
VX-3HD 4.5-14x40 CDS-ZL Wind-Plex 30MM 180623
VX-5HD 3-15X44 CDS-ZL2 FireDot Duplex 172368

I already had a VX-3HD 3.5-10x40 CDS-ZL FireDot 30MM (180627) on another gun - and liked it. Still, I bought the VX-5HD for the next gun. The glass seems better. More light? More clear? Maybe, but definitely better. I could have been happy with either of the others, but I'm glad I got this one.

*Both purchases via Schmalts.

I have a vx5 and vx6 scope and a couple of vx2 as well. Mine are the non HD versions and I don't think my eyes would be able to tell a big difference between the HD and non HD, the two non HD ones I have are the best scopes I've ever looked through, incredibly clear and bright. Im not sure about the new "vx3hd" scopes but if it's just glass quality I wouldn't be sold on it. The eye box (field of view) on the vx5/6 designs Is really good.

If I recall the price went up significantly when Leupold took the vx5/6 series from normal to the HD versions. I wish they offered a budget (vx freedom prices?) In a 5 or 6 zoom ratio. It's a huge help here in the va mountains to be able to have a low end of 2 for thick woods and zoom up to 10 or 12 to shoot a long field. It's hard to have one scope/rifle that does everything well around here if its a 3x zoom. To me, 3x (like a typical 3-9) on the low end Is definitely a hindrance when your shots are 10-30 yards, zoomed in too far already. I guess my point is, to me the vx5 or 6 series real value isn't in its HD glass, it's in its usability in such a wide range of circumstances

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back