Which Leupold Scope for 7mm Rem Mag?

VX5 HD with the fire dot is what you need.
Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

I like the FireDot too. As well as the added magnification. That's why it made the list!

Still, having received and mounted my VX-3HD CDS-ZL 3.5-10x40mm 30mm FireDot on an X-Bolt 6.5cm, I can tell you I like that too. I have a few other priorities to manage budgetarily, so I'm not ready to BUY NOW. Soon though.

I’m weighing scope options for a .308 right now. I’ve got the VX5 with fire dot on a .300 WSM right now and love it. Be hard for me to get another scope without fire dot.

I’m weighing scope options for a .308 right now. I’ve got the VX5 with fire dot on a .300 WSM right now and love it. Be hard for me to get another scope without fire dot.
Look at the difference in weight between the VX-5/FireDot and the VX-3HD CDS-ZL 3.5-10x40mm 30mm FireDot. Maybe it won't matter to you, but maybe a consideration for the lighter 308.

I just bought a VX-3HD CDS FireDot (180627) for a Creedmoor and its being delivered (thanks, schmalts).

Now I am considering what to mount on a 7mm Rem Mag. Would another VX3HD CDS FireDot be the right choice, or should I opt for more magnification and maybe even jump up to the VX-5HD with FireDot?

The candidates are:

VX-3HD 3.5-10x40 CDS-ZL FireDot Twilight Hunter 30MM 180627
VX-3HD 4.5-14x40 CDS-ZL Wind-Plex 30MM 180623
VX-5HD 3-15X44 CDS-ZL2 FireDot Duplex 172368

I like them all. I'm partial to CDS, 30mm tubes and side-focus. I'm impressed with FireDot and I like the VX-3HD 3.5-10. I also think higher magnification might prove to be an advantage in applications where the 7MM Mag would be employed, i.e., western hunting - ELK, Muleys, etc. Is 3.5-10 enough?

The VX-5HD with FireDot is very tempting. But it is also significantly more expensive. At suggested retail, there is about $400 between the two FireDot scopes. Sadly, budget and money is an issue.

Choices. Choices. What do you think? Any input appreciated.
If you find that you like the VX-3HD Firedot well enough then yeah, get another! Or if you think clarity ain’t there then VX-5 all the way. Buy once, cry once. As for magnification, let’s look at caliber and operator limitations. 10x is ok to accurately place 7MM at 300-400yd which is what many of us would agree to be max field range off a backpack. If I could get closer, I would do that anyway no matter what optics.

I have one on my custom 7mm mag and I love it. Awesome glass and the CDS is awesome. I harvested a bull last fall. I ranged him, dialed the turret, added some magnification and pulled the trigger. 315yds. He went about 10 feet. VX-5HD 3-15X44 CDS-ZL2 FireDot Duplex 172368 is the way to go in my book! Good luck.

blacksheep

I have one on my custom 7mm mag and I love it. Awesome glass and the CDS is awesome. I harvested a bull last fall. I ranged him, dialed the turret, added some magnification and pulled the trigger. 315yds. He went about 10 feet. VX-5HD 3-15X44 CDS-ZL2 FireDot Duplex 172368 is the way to go in my book! Good luck.

blacksheep
Sweet scope for sure. Congratulations on your successful hunt. Factory ammo?

Thanks. Factory ammo. Hornady Precision Hunter 162gr E-LDX. They shoot under 1/2 MOA out of my rifle. Shot twice 1st shot took of the top of the heart and the second was about 6" higher.

blacksheep
I'm glad that I asked! That sounds like a great recommendation.

I have an older VX3 4.5-14, a VX5HD 3-15 and a VX6HD 3-18 firedot.

I can tell you I definitely like the 3X on the lower end. That is where the comparison ends. The newer HD scopes blow my older model out of the water. I also wish I had gone firedot in the VX5.

I would steer you towards option 3. I know you said money is an object, but you will have this thing for the rest of your life and your kids may too.... Go donate plasma for a month and spend the extra $$$.

Vx 5 is hard to beat. If you have club points maybe snag one for $800 or less

I just bought a VX-3HD CDS FireDot (180627) for a Creedmoor and its being delivered (thanks, schmalts).

Now I am considering what to mount on a 7mm Rem Mag. Would another VX3HD CDS FireDot be the right choice, or should I opt for more magnification and maybe even jump up to the VX-5HD with FireDot?

The candidates are:

VX-3HD 3.5-10x40 CDS-ZL FireDot Twilight Hunter 30MM 180627
VX-3HD 4.5-14x40 CDS-ZL Wind-Plex 30MM 180623

I like them all. I'm partial to CDS, 30mm tubes and side-focus. I'm impressed with FireDot and I like the VX-3HD 3.5-10. I also think higher magnification might prove to be an advantage in applications where the 7MM Mag would be employed, i.e., western hunting - ELK, Muleys, etc. Is 3.5-10 enough?

The VX-5HD with FireDot is very tempting. But it is also significantly more expensive. At suggested retail, there is about $400 between the two FireDot scopes. Sadly, budget and money is an issue.

Choices. Choices. What do you think? Any input appreciated.
Not for the zoom, as I don't see zoom over about 9x that useful in hunting, but for the glass quality I think the VX5HD is worth the $ for the upgrade if you can afford it. Also, @schmalts deals get even more amazing as list price goes up.

How accurate is your rifle? Will it shoot less than 1" groups at 100 yards? How about at 200 and 300 yards? My custom 7mm does shoot less than an inch. I bought a Leupold VX6HD 3-18x44 from Midway as a opened package/missing directions etc; not a refurbish. They mentioned in the ad that there was nothing wrong mechanically with the scope. It came, nothing wrong I could tell. Paid $1,050 in Jan 2021, now a new one at $2,000. Don't discount buying a 2nd focal plane scope. I personally feel that the hype about 1st focal plane is just not justified. I have a laser range finder, so I'm not going to be using it for range finding. You can still do range finding, you just have to do an additional calculation, I believe. Range finding with a 2nd focal plane is only true at the max power, so at 18 power with my scope. At 9 power, you have to halve the clicks/reticle hashes. Correct me if I'm wrong. I have recently shot this scope out to 900 yards. Wouldn't want to shoot an elk at 900 yards, but now I'm certainly much more comfortable shooting one at 300-600 yards with the scope dialed in..... depending on wind of course, which no doubt can be a huge variable. Food for thought. Spend the extra money on bullets for practicing follow through/calling your shot!!
Cornbread

How accurate is your rifle? Will it shoot less than 1" groups at 100 yards? How about at 200 and 300 yards? My custom 7mm does shoot less than an inch. I bought a Leupold VX6HD 3-18x44 from Midway as a opened package/missing directions etc; not a refurbish. They mentioned in the ad that there was nothing wrong mechanically with the scope. It came, nothing wrong I could tell. Paid $1,050 in Jan 2021, now a new one at $2,000. {edit} Cornbread
Thanks for sharing your thought! I'm finding the Leupold VX-5HD 3-15X44 FireDot (172368) unavailable at the moment, so I will watch for the discounted options, as you did. As to the rifle, it is new (unfired), so I'll be breaking it in. Having the VX-5HD 3-15x44 might facilitate that process better than the VX-3HD CDS-ZL 3.5-10x40 FireDot would. I have a little time yet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back