Which Leupold Scope for 7mm Rem Mag?

bucdoego

I just bought a VX-3HD CDS FireDot (180627) for a Creedmoor and its being delivered (thanks, schmalts).

Now I am considering what to mount on a 7mm Rem Mag. Would another VX3HD CDS FireDot be the right choice, or should I opt for more magnification and maybe even jump up to the VX-5HD with FireDot?

The candidates are:

VX-3HD 3.5-10x40 CDS-ZL FireDot Twilight Hunter 30MM 180627
VX-3HD 4.5-14x40 CDS-ZL Wind-Plex 30MM 180623
VX-5HD 3-15X44 CDS-ZL2 FireDot Duplex 172368

I like them all. I'm partial to CDS, 30mm tubes and side-focus. I'm impressed with FireDot and I like the VX-3HD 3.5-10. I also think higher magnification might prove to be an advantage in applications where the 7MM Mag would be employed, i.e., western hunting - ELK, Muleys, etc. Is 3.5-10 enough?

The VX-5HD with FireDot is very tempting. But it is also significantly more expensive. At suggested retail, there is about $400 between the two FireDot scopes. Sadly, budget and money is an issue.

Choices. Choices. What do you think? Any input appreciated.

Last edited:
That’s a good problem to have. I’ve shot a 7mm with a 3-9x Leupold for almost 30 years. If I were to put a new scope on it, I’d want more than 10x, especially if used primarily in western states.

If you can swing the VX5, I doubt you'd regret it. I'd be going with the windplex reticle, personally.

I have both of the bottom scopes you listed. They are both great scopes. I really do like the fire dot. It seemed a little silly that a red dot would make that much of a difference. But in hunting situations I probably only remember it’s there 40% of the time. I personally have the VX5 on my 7 rem mag.

VX-3HD 4.5-14x40 CDS-ZL Wind-Plex 30MM
Is my pick. I just got my 2nd one from Schmalts about a month ago.

Ya I’m kinda in the same boat. I’m new to shooting rifles ( bow hunter here) and I just bought a Seekins PH2 in a 7 mag. I have not decided on a scope yet. I also have the leupold vx5hd on my list along with Swarovski z5, NF Shv. Just can’t decide because I’m not that knowledgeable. Working on it though!

I have had non-Fire Dot Leupolds and my dad had a couple of Fire Dots. For me, if it is too dark to see a Leupold non-Fire Dot SFP reticle, it was after legal shooting light. If choosing one of the scope lines you mentioned, I would go with a Wind Plex or HTMR reticle.

I have had non-Fire Dot Leupolds and my dad had a couple of Fire Dots. For me, if it is too dark to see a Leupold non-Fire Dot SFP reticle, it was after legal shooting light. If choosing one of the scope lines you mentioned, I would go with a Wind Plex or HTMR reticle.
Come to the light Clint.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back