Caribou Gear

Which Leupold Scope for 7mm Rem Mag?

I have the VX-3Hi 4.5-14x40 CDS Wind-Plex 30MM Side Focus scopes on my two major hunting rifles, my .300 Weatherby and 7 mm RM. Having grown up in Colorado and lived (and hunted) for the last 46 years in Montana and I've had no problems filling my tags with 6x and 3-9x scopes. I've never shot an animal much over 350 yards, and these 14x scopes fill that bill just fine.

I have Leupold scopes on 6 of my hunting rifles and I like the ZL feature, but only have it on my .300 Wby, set at 200 yards. I think that Leupold put the ZL feature on the custom turret that they made for that scope.

That’s a good problem to have. I’ve shot a 7mm with a 3-9x Leupold for almost 30 years. If I were to put a new scope on it, I’d want more than 10x, especially if used primarily in western states.
Yet for "almost 30 years", your 3-9x decision stood. You wanted more, but not enough to make a change. That sounds like the question I've framed! Still undecided.

If you can swing the VX5, I doubt you'd regret it. I'd be going with the windplex reticle, personally.
It checks the boxes very well for me. It is also the most expensive and heaviest. Neither might be a deal breaker, but does cause some reluctance when it comes to pulling the BUY NOW trigger.

I have had non-Fire Dot Leupolds and my dad had a couple of Fire Dots. For me, if it is too dark to see a Leupold non-Fire Dot SFP reticle, it was after legal shooting light. If choosing one of the scope lines you mentioned, I would go with a Wind Plex or HTMR reticle.
I have worn corrective lenses since the sixth grade. Age won't help (me or you) moving forward, so plan well. One commenter to this thread mentions having the same scope for almost 30 years. Think about that when you buy your next scope... maybe your Dad's FireDot will look like a smarter decision!

It's been said that the optics in the VX3-HD are comparable to,[if not equal to] those in the VX5-HD series, esp out to moderate [say 300 yards] range. Since budget is an issue, Id opt for one of the VX3-HD choices. It's too bad they don't offer the firedot in a VX3-HD 4.5-14x scope.

I have a 4.5-15x50 VX3 on my .264 WM. If I did it over I would not go above 44mm objective. High mounted scopes mean eye alignment problems and stock mods.

My 7mmRM is sporting the only non Leupold scope in my safe, a 2-10x40 Zeiss Conquest HD5. (Don't judge me, 50% off at Midway...)

I would prefer to have more top end. The plan is for the Zeiss to move to my old M77 .30-06 and put a VX-3HD 4.5-14x40 CDS-ZL Wind-Plex 30MM 180623 to go on the 7mmRM.

It's been said that the optics in the VX3-HD are comparable to,[if not equal to] those in the VX5-HD series, esp out to moderate [say 300 yards] range. Since budget is an issue, Id opt for one of the VX3-HD choices. It's too bad they don't offer the firedot in a VX3-HD 4.5-14x scope.

I don't recall that being specifically mentioned but I doubt my eyes could discern the difference. Besides 3x vs 5x range I'd dive into mechanical aspects.

@schmalts can you elaborate?

Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x40mm with the B&C reticle. It'll cover all of your hunting and shooting needs.

Leupold 6x42mm fixed power with the LR dots calibrated for the load in your rifle. I've never felt having a fixed power was a handicap or bad thing. I've shot a lot of game with a 4x or 6x fixed power Leupold close and far.

Personally, I would just get another one of the same that you just ordered from Schmalts. Just received mine and it is a sweet scope. Have shied away from 30mm tubes in the past due to weight issues, but this is only a few ounces more. Both scopes the same would be a benefit. 10x would be plenty of scope for the 7 Mag.

Personally, I would just get another one of the same that you just ordered from Schmalts. Just received mine and it is a sweet scope. Have shied away from 30mm tubes in the past due to weight issues, but this is only a few ounces more. Both scopes the same would be a benefit. 10x would be plenty of scope for the 7 Mag.
Tempting. I understand your logic and I may end up doing just as you suggest. I'm not decided yet though. The added magnification as well as the FireDot are tempting me too.

I have a 4.5-15x50 VX3 on my .264 WM. If I did it over I would not go above 44mm objective. High mounted scopes mean eye alignment problems and stock mods.

My 7mmRM is sporting the only non Leupold scope in my safe, a 2-10x40 Zeiss Conquest HD5. (Don't judge me, 50% off at Midway...)

I would prefer to have more top end. The plan is for the Zeiss to move to my old M77 .30-06 and put a VX-3HD 4.5-14x40 CDS-ZL Wind-Plex 30MM 180623 to go on the 7mmRM.
If I decide that I can live without the FireDot, the VX-3HD 4.5-14x40 CDS-ZL Wind-Plex 30MM 180623 becomes the winner. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Back