swarovski z3 bt vs leupold vx5hd

brockel

Scoping a new rifle and am looking at either the Swarovski z3 with ballistics turret or a leupold vx5hd. I’ve owned a few vx5hd but never the Swarovski. How does the Swarovski compare as far as tracking? I’m assuming the Swarovski glass is better? Wanted to go nightforce shv but I’m not sure I want to put a 30oz scope on my ultralight rifle.

It's dumb I'm even answering this since I've owned neither. However, I borrowed a rifle once that had a Swaro with ballistic turrets, and it was enough to convince me I'd buy something else if I wanted to use the turrets regularly. And I get Swaro at a discount.

I have a couple z5 swaros. I can’t hardly make my myself use my other scopes. I don’t dial though. Tracking has been good although I’ve rarely adjusted them since they have been sighted in.

I spin turrets often when practicing. Actually glass quality is lower on my list compared to tracking. Thats one of the reasons for looking at the nightforce

I spin turrets often when practicing. Actually glass quality is lower on my list compared to tracking. Thats one of the reasons for looking at the nightforce
I should clarify that it wasn’t the tracking problem, I just don’t like the design of the turret. I found the markings difficult to read and felt like it could be difficult to get a good grip on it if you were wearing gloves, etc.

I should clarify that it wasn’t the tracking problem, I just don’t like the design of the turret. I found the markings difficult to read and felt like it could be difficult to get a good grip on it if you were wearing gloves, etc.

You can get a custom moa or whatever load you want turret made for them too

Reactions: Oak
The one Z3 4-12 I owned went to nick87. Glass was superb, not BT tho.
I haven't spent much time at all behind the z3, I'd say glass quality is probably too close to call between them. For the simple fact that the Leopold has slightly more range in magnification would make me lean that way. Edit I'm not sure what the magnification is on the z3 your looking at.

I have several vx 5's and one z3 3-9 so no adjustable turret on that one. The glass on both is pretty darn close to really tell the difference. The dials on my vx5's have been very consistent.

I've had both models, multiple of each brand (fyi I don't own any swaro or Leupold rifle scopes anymore).

Z5 would be a closer comparison to the vx5hd in terms of magnification. The Z5 series uses "dual erector springs" over just one in the z3. According to Swarovski, that's supposed to make the Z5 series more durable than the z3. The experiences Ive had with Leupold have been bad, except for one. Every Leupy my dad or I have purchased since around 2010 to 2012 have failed. Either a RTZ failure, failure to track correctly, or complete failure of the erector assembly. All were CDS systems. We have one of the vx-3Ls with the cut out on the bottom of the objective from like 2005. That one's never had an issue but, it also doesn't get dialed.

I've had multiple z3s, z5s, and a couple z6s. Never had problems, but they didnt get shot much either. I sold them all.

Scoping a new rifle and am looking at either the Swarovski z3 with ballistics turret or a leupold vx5hd. I’ve owned a few vx5hd but never the Swarovski. How does the Swarovski compare as far as tracking? I’m assuming the Swarovski glass is better? Wanted to go nightforce shv but I’m not sure I want to put a 30oz scope on my ultralight rifle.
How about a 3-10 SHV if weight is a concern. Reliable tracking with a SHV.

I ended up finding a nightforce SHV 4-14 for a smoking deal so went that way
I didn't see this until it was too late...I mentioned on your thread over in Rokslide a few weeks ago that I have a Swaro Z3 which is lighter and optically superior but I preferred the Zeiss V4 for turret spinning. I don't trust the lower end Leupold models for consistent dialing but occasionally would be ok...they clicks are too soft and sometimes in the middle between lines.

Can't beat a zeiss V6 3-18. Nightforce SHV does not have the same tracking reliability as their other scopes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back