VX Freedom vs VX3HD vs VX5HD

Farmerj

what are the actual differences in these scopes?

My understanding for the most part, the VX3HD is 1", the VX5HD is 30 mm.

I am ultimately looking for a solid scope with quality glass and nothing CDS style.

So what does Leupold have that's equal to the Nightforce SHV, but not 30mm (not absolute) but no CDS
@schmalts I keep seeing you as the go-to Leupold guy.

Last edited:
I have all 3 types. I have a VX Freedom 3-9x 50 that I bought for my Winchester Model 70 Featherweight .308. For Leupolds bottom level scope, it ain't too shabby! Mine has a 30 mm tube because it has the Firedot (illuminated). No frills like a CDS or side focus. Decent glass, nice illumination, super accurate combo. for a good price. Got a great deal on it from schmalt's. Also have a VX-3HD 3.5-10x 50 Firedot that I bought for my new Browning X Bolt White Gold Medallion .30-06. Definitely a step up in quality and features from the VX Freedom, but a considerable step up in cost also. This scope also has a 30 mm tube (illuminated) and CDS. Also have 2 VX-5HD's, 3-15x 44, and 3-15x 56, both with Firedot, 30 mm tubes, CDS, side focus, better glass coatings, and a much higher price tag than the VX-3HD. Good luck.

Last edited:
I'm going to to other side of the spectrum on this one. The VX freedom line is ok for light usage, on a fair weather rifle. I would never trust one on a dedicated hunting rifle especially if you hunt from horseback or in truly inclement weather.

The Firedot scopes are a fantastic idea on behalf of Leupold, they work exactly as advertised and I'm a huge fan of the motion sensor/inclinometer that automatically turns the optic on/off. That being said, the dot is so large , it's impractical to make any precise shots past 150 yards. If you hunt heavy timber and expect snap shots, the firedot should be just the ticket. If you take long range shots from a prone or fixed position, this optic isn't going to be your friend. On the lowest setting, the illuminated dot covers 5"@100 yards. That is a large margin of error imo.

May help to express my ideas of what I’m looking for.

Something that EASILY translates 8” to yards. Why 8”? Because that’s a typical paper plate size. It’s also half of a good typical whitetail chest (~18”). For mule deer and elk it’s close as well due to both of them being factors of 4 as well.

The ONE thing I’ll give vortex…

8D9D26AC-EFF4-43C0-8200-D7B74B8A27C0.jpeg

For most deer cartridges, it also puts the MPBR to about 350-375 yards. Right in that factor of 4 range of 8-9 MOA.

I don’t want to deal with anything that has CDS knobs or whatever proprietary name a maker wants to give them.it’s either in the reticle or I just don’t want it. Trijicon TA01NSN was a great experience builder. Fixed 4X works great out to 600M easily. I just don’t want calibrated reticle or knobs.

As I age, carrying that 12 lb deer rifle is getting old. So 12-18 oz is about it. Yeah, I don’t want a 5lb shoulder breaker though either.

I get it I shoot a $1000 smoke pole and my other rifle is even worse. But the financial manager(wife) and I have agreed a “scope equal in value to the rifle” just ain’t happening in the near fiscal budget. Especially when it involves more than two rifles.

I was told the VX3HD and VX5HD have turret mechanisms that are very similar. Is this true?

Most of my knowledge is from 2003-2005 era, so the detail specifics of today’s product is pushing me into analysis paralysis…

May help to express my ideas of what I’m looking for.

Something that EASILY translates 8” to yards. Why 8”? Because that’s a typical paper plate size. It’s also half of a good typical whitetail chest (~18”). For mule deer and elk it’s close as well due to both of them being factors of 4 as well.

The ONE thing I’ll give vortex…

View attachment 239197

For most deer cartridges, it also puts the MPBR to about 350-375 yards. Right in that factor of 4 range of 8-9 MOA.

I don’t want to deal with anything that has CDS knobs or whatever proprietary name a maker wants to give them.it’s either in the reticle or I just don’t want it. Trijicon TA01NSN was a great experience builder. Fixed 4X works great out to 600M easily. I just don’t want calibrated reticle or knobs.

As I age, carrying that 12 lb deer rifle is getting old. So 12-18 oz is about it. Yeah, I don’t want a 5lb shoulder breaker though either.

I get it I shoot a $1000 smoke pole and my other rifle is even worse. But the financial manager(wife) and I have agreed a “scope equal in value to the rifle” just ain’t happening in the near fiscal budget. Especially when it involves more than two rifles.

I was told the VX3HD and VX5HD have turret mechanisms that are very similar. Is this true?

Most of my knowledge is from 2003-2005 era, so the detail specifics of today’s product is pushing me into analysis paralysis…
I have the same financial manager as well. I was looking into getting the VX5 but I will probably have to go more along with a VX3 based on the price and I will be putting it on a Weatherby Vanguard in 7mm Rem Mag that has a HS precision stock on it instead of the junk stocks they put on the rifles in the factory. I believe I paid $750 for the rifle so I'm about in that ballpark. I don't personally have a leupold but from what I'm told the VX5 has a higher magnification (hence the mag levels are x5 vs x3 on the VX3) and it has a couple of extra features along with glass being a little more high quality. One of my hunting buddies has VX3 4.5-14x40 which is what I'm planning on getting, on a .257 Weatherby and he dropped a doe in a bean field last year a shade over 450 yards.

I have the following:
- older VX2s in 3-9x40 (my personal favorite for quality+affordable price=value… I wish that they still made them)
- VX3i 1-5x20 (hard to compare this one to anything else on the list, but a solid, clear scope for the AR for in close hunting for kids)
- VX3is in 3.5-10x40 (a little step up from the VX2, but I think I actually like the eye box or something better on the VX2s better for some reason, as they seem clearer and faster to acquire the target to me)
- VX3HD 3.5-10x40 (definitely a step up in optical clarity from the VX3i)
- VX5HD (best glass of them all).

I really like them all, but when I have handled and looked through VX Freedoms in the past they haven’t seemed to be in the same quality range as any of those listed above. Much of the optical clarity will be subjective, so make from this what you will.

I don't know much of the details but the VX5HD I got this year is the clearest glass I've had on a rifle.
I just don’t want anything with BDS (or whatever other proprietary systems) a scope might have.

Not so I care for the weights of most 30 mm tubed scope…

I just don’t want anything with BDS (or whatever other proprietary systems) a scope might have.

Not so I care for the weights of most 30 mm tubed scope…
There is far less reason to go to a 30mm tube if you are not going to turn turrets. Tube diameter is for reticle travel and very little to do with optical performance.

There is far less reason to go to a 30mm tube if you are not going to turn turrets. Tube diameter is for reticle travel and very little to do with optical performance.
On a target or PRS, I’d be all over it.

But for a hunting rifle with intent to keep it under 300 yards…

Just don’t see a reason for it.

With the overwhelming selection of what’s on the market, I’d rather pay for clear glass than turrets and knobs.

On a target or PRS, I’d be all over it.

But for a hunting rifle with intent to keep it under 300 yards…

Just don’t see a reason for it.

With the overwhelming selection of what’s on the market, I’d rather pay for clear glass than turrets and knobs.
I agree... but unfortunately most companies are not making a lot higher end optics in a 1" tube these days, they always go to that bigger tube.

I agree... but unfortunately most companies are not making a lot higher end optics in a 1" tube these days, they always go to that bigger tube.
What’s a good compromise…

I’m lost with the sheer volume of what’s available.

I’ve got a night force (shv), trijicon (hunter) and a Burris (veracity) options…

Am I missing something?

There comes a point you just pick one and be done with it. You seem to want lightweight over a lot of other things so go with what is one of the lightest and mount it up and sling some lead.

There comes a point you just pick one and be done with it. You seem to want lightweight over a lot of other things so go with what is one of the lightest and mount it up and sling some lead.
Other than the VX- Freedom, does Leupold have an option or ???

Is there a meopta that’s an option? Athlon?

Other than the VX- Freedom, does Leupold have an option or ???

Is there a meopta that’s an option? Athlon?
There's plenty of VX3HD options. The CDS dial is so low profile it really isn't any bigger than a capped turret. No way you could live with a CDS dial locked? 180617 VX-3HD CDS-ZL Matte Black 3.5-10x40mm 1" Tube Duplex Reticle is 13.5 OZ

There's plenty of VX3HD options. The CDS dial is so low profile it really isn't any bigger than a capped turret. No way you could live with a CDS dial locked? 180617 VX-3HD CDS-ZL Matte Black 3.5-10x40mm 1" Tube Duplex Reticle is 13.5 OZ
Probably could.

I’d honestly never bother to send in the specs to get a dial made really.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back