Video - How we use Trekking Poles

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
A lot of people ask me how I go hands free while hunting in the mountains. We do our besty to explain that in less than three minutes. Often times, brevity results in more questions than it answers.

[video=youtube_share;C8Ux_MKKihw]https://youtu.be/C8Ux_MKKihw[/video]

The poles I use are at this link - https://www.amazon.com/Leki-T632-29...5bf6047647575ac98e56c&creativeASIN=B00MP22L3A

I can assure you that once you start using trekking poles, you will always use trekking poles.

I can assure you that once you start using trekking poles, you will always use trekking poles.[/QUOTE]

^^^ Couldn't agree with this more! Last fall I used trekking poles for the first time, won't leave the TH without them now.

I've had fewer On Your Butt Adventures on snow covered side hills since I started using them even though I just use one.

I am another one pole guy. Always I have a pack on with a chest strap and I feel the motion of climbing with two poles somehow inhibits my lungs,but one pole doesn't. I also like being a little less encumbered with just one since I adjust the length on the go_On downhills I feel more comfortable having one hand free especially climbing down extreme slopes and navigating boulder fields.On occasion a pole can get wedged in the rocks ,again one seems better and safer than two. Guess it depends on all that you do.

Just watched the episode. Good stuff as usual Randy.
I used to use one hiking stick,til last year. 20 yrs.
I got Leki Kumara poles last year and I even use them at the ranch now.
Paid $40,new. Twist locks.Which are not as good as the locking type like BF's or my old stick, but they worked fine on 2 hunts in the Gila.

I started using these here in Louisiana on my duck hunts that I have to wade long distances. Couldn't believe how much they helped until I forgot them one hunt. Ended up cutting limbs to get me by on the way out. Now I use them turkey hunting, helps walking down muddy rutted up roads in the spring.

These mountain critters we chase have hooves and 4wd, good boots can approximate hooves and poles give you 4wd.

Bought a set a couple of weeks ago. Looking forward to the extra stability this fall hunting uneven ground with a pack on my back. Thanks for the video Randy

Rubber tips or the standard steel tips? I've only used the stock steel tips so far. I like the way they grab the ground no matter the surface. I've been wondering about trying the rubber ones, thinking they would be quieter. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks for the video. I'm certain they have extended the years I'll be able to get around the high country.

This 65 year old also uses them everywhere i hunt, whether it is in the mountains of CO elk hunting or the flat lands and hills of OK and SD. However, most of the time, I use only one pole as a walking stick unless I'm carrying a particularly heavy pack.

Back