Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

I used trekking poles for the first time today

Bipedalism can't be cured, but it can be treated. I use poles when hiking with a heavy load, like packing out game. They definitely can take some stress off your knees. I haven't figured out a good system for using them hunting. They just seem too cumbersome, heavy, noisy when hunting. But maybe others have a different experience... I use cheap models because I know I'm going to leave them on some mountaintop someplace and don't want to have to go back for them.

This winter I found them to be a butt saver when side-hilling on slippery slopes. I only used one though.

They saved me from taking falls on more than one high country trek. Great for when packing a heavy load.

Put 50lbs on your back and you will use them, guaranteed! I bought beginner poles and they were in no way sturdy enough to keep you from falling in tough terrain. Just my .02

Good points especially about actually hunting with them, maybe with an AR with a cinched up single point sling... but that's a little advanced for me. :p The pinging of twigs and sticks off the aluminium is definitely loud and unnatural but I'd rather hear that than me hitting the ground, again. :eek:

I think for point-a to point-b especially packing a load, uphill, downhill, side hill type stuff they'll shine.

I have always carried my gun or bow in hand while hunting?have thought about trecking poles but am hesitant as time would be lost getting your weapon ready if a quick shot opertunity came along?anybody else have this same dilema?

I also picked up a pair of poles this year as I have been hunting "hiking" in different terrain than in the past. Usually leaving the truck in the dark my gun is in my pack and I'm huffing up the hill to get in position at daylight, once at my destination I swap poles for gun. They come in real handy, especially downhill and sidehill.

Trekking poles

I love trekking poles. Mostly one pole. Sometimes two. Coat with tape on the top( the part below the handle that doesn't extend) for less noise. Glue rubber on the tip for less noise and more traction. I put a little reflection tape on the top to spot them in the dark if I leave them. Loose the rotating poles. Get external locks which are much better and robust. Noise really is not a problem. Balance is much better. I can stop in mid-stride. I can drop a pole to shoot. Lean it on a tree. I shoot more elk with them. I strap them to the pack if I want to go without them. I might leave my bow but I will go back for my poles. Really.

I've carried a walking stick for years, and recently upgraded to a pair of trekking poles. As has been noted, they are wonderful for reducing back, knees, and hip stress when carrying a load.

Another reason to carry them is for walking or packing out at night. I find that after the sun goes down, even with a headlamp, my depth perception is shot and I tend to stumble around like a drunk (especially with a load). Trekking poles are critical to a steady walk out through rough terrain in the dark, and a safety must.

I have always carried my gun or bow in hand while hunting?have thought about trecking poles but am hesitant as time would be lost getting your weapon ready if a quick shot opertunity came along?anybody else have this same dilema?

I've used them on a handful of hunts. When in the mountains, I've found I do a lot of traveling from point to point and my gun/bow is often strapped to my pack until I get to my destination. Under certain circumstances where I want to hold my weapon the poles are folded up and put in a pocket on my pack. So far, they've never cost me a shot at a game animal and have made life easier and/or saved my butt a number of times! They work better on some hunts (backpacking trip, steep terrain, heavy loads) than on others (gentler terrain, day hunts, etc).

I purchased a pair of black diamond poles. A tad expensive (think around $120) They have three locking points.
I find the use of one in my support hand works fantastic! The locking poles make it nice to reduce the size fitting for a pack. In the event I pack out game or heavy weight, I can easily use the second pole.
I really like the single pole use. It actually works as a quick makeshift shooting stick. Lean the rifle over the hand, strap, handle and press the ground point in...

My pole took one for the team this recent hunt. As I crossed some snow covered rocks, I lost my balance rather immediately and unexpected. It would have been a nasty fall had my walking stick not slowed my fall. I was solo and a few miles out. Due to the severity of the fall, it took the brunt of the weight and bent somewhat. I still spilled though was sighing at the potential my pole diverted from occurring.

I am sold on hiking sticks!

I bought a set of trekking poles this year and loved them. Now one of the "must have" gear pieces I own. They take soooo much off of the knees on downhill walking. I also like having something to do with my hands when hiking longer distances on flat ground.

I learned that if I'm in thick brush swinging the traction end of the pole in an arc up and over behind me and around, basically in a 360° arc, keeps the noise down and keeps the pole from getting snagged on the brush.

We have a moose infestation.

20141214_115630.jpg

Back