Trekking Poles

Good trekking poles are as important as your boots and binos. Once you start using them you'll never understand how you managed before. I've only been using them 4 years.

I've never tried trekking poles. I can see how they could be helpful, but usually I have my rifle in my hands. Or on my shoulder if needed. Seems like having the poles would impede getting at your rifle quickly if needed. How do you carry a rifle while using them? mtmuley

If I'm in a position that I need my rifle quickly, or on final approach to an animal I will either strap both poles to my pack and remove my rifle or just one. A trekking pole makes a great shooting rest, BTW. I would say 95% of the time my rifle is strapped to my pack and I'm using 2 poles.

Like using trekking poles, once you start packing your rifle on your pack, you'll wonder why you ever use a sling and put it on your shoulder.

Once you start packing your rifle on your pack, you'll wonder why you ever use a sling and put it on your shoulder.

True story, my rifle is 14.5 lbs though! Plus it leaves your hands free for glassing instead of glassing. I think should try some poles myself but wonder if they would be too much for bowhunting.

I'm 52 with bad knees so I use it ( 1 only ) on all hunts. I have a pole that has a threaded stud for a camera mount so I steady my binos on them as well.

ps. I was using 2 poles in the steep stuff but I will only use 1 now.

Attachments

• IMG_2607.JPG
    IMG_2607.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 530
  • IMG_2608.JPG
    IMG_2608.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 632
Last edited:
I have been using a single pole for many years. Still have an oak one I made in 1970's. I use a broken shovel handle on the ranch,works great for herding stock too...LOL
Last 10 yrs been using an Eastmans locking hiking/shooting stick.Has y-yoke for shooting/bino brace or threaded as Glass Eye has for camera,etc.
I use a Safari sling for many years too and my gun is always at hand and or hands free to glass.
Thinking about getting pair of BD or such,but then my hands are nor free and even a single one has made too much noise at the wrong time banging into rocks or ? Might still for meat hauling after the rifle is in scabbard or back in truck. Then again,I'd be adding weight to my pack..................what to do...

Some trips (like today) I know I won't use them. Lots of trips where it's steep, off trail, deadfall, and packing any weight.. You'll never want to not have TWO poles after you start using them. I wouldn't lie.

I really like the trekking poles when I am packing out an animal. They are a bit of a pain to carry at times but they really help me. I only have mine with me about 40% of the time.

I used the ones that came with my snowshoes this spring extensively in rough terrain and have to say that I could definately tell the difference without them, except most of the time i only ended up with one because my shed hunting partner would always end up borrowing one. It is extremely easy to tell the difference in using them.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back