I used trekking poles for the first time today

I bought a pair that where on sale at a large yuppy store a couple years ago. R something or other. Cost around $50 and well worth every penny. The wife has since taken ownership of them. I need to get another set. I believe they are Black Diamond's with the external cam lock.

I seen some carbon trecking poles at costco of all places,,,they look pretty good? priced good? has anybody out there tried them? or is it worth the money to buy top of the line diamond carbons?

They saved my butt on several hunts for sheep and goat in treacherous terrain. First thing that goes into my duffle bag. I brought mine at Cabelas for around $80.00.

I seen some carbon trecking poles at costco of all places,,,they look pretty good? priced good? has anybody out there tried them? or is it worth the money to buy top of the line diamond carbons?

I used a pair of the carbon ones from Costco 2 years ago on my Dall sheep hunt in Alaska. Only 1 made it the entire trip. What I found is that all the rocks chewing on the lower portion of the pole weakened it enough that it finally snapped. Now sheep hunting in rocks for 5 days might be a little more than should be expected but never the less that was my experience. Now I do have a pair from Walmart that have made 2 trips and are still working. You almost always end up losing the basket on the end in the tundra but they still work great in the rocks and trails. My brother uses a single pole and I think it was a high end one from REI. It's been on years of trips with no casualties. He kinda looks like Moses with his single staff hiking around :D I suppose you get what you pay for but since I'm a Walmart pro staffer I need to stay loyal to my sponsors :D

Support is a plus no matter what form it takes. I use a home-made cedar walking stick for my hunts. It allows one arm to be free for carrying other things, grabbing limbs etc. I will never hunt in tough country without some form of support now.

One thing about the poles, is that if going is easy, you can always just strap them to your pack.

Back