Caribou Gear

Venison Burritos

DRAFTSTUD

I always try to make up something with the Deer Meat that is taking up the room in Freezers that I need for my new Deer meat. As I have done in previous years is to make up a huge batch of Deer Burritos. They are a good alternative to a sandwich when neither of us want to cook.
These were always a big hit for my son and his friends to pop in the Microwave if they needed to fill up a hollow leg! Here is the way I do it.

I started with 10 or 12 pounds of Ground Venison.
Chopped 3 large Onions, put the meat and onions in very large pot to cook down.
Drained of the watery juice after everything cooked down.
6 packs of Buritto Seasoning with the nessesary water, add to meat and stir until Blended.
Add 4 Large cans of Refried Beans to meat on low heat.
Open 2 cans of Black beans
Open and drain a 1 gallon can of Pinto Beans, add to pot.
Let simmer for a couple of hours. Then let sit until cool enough to work with.

The way Charlotte and I did it this year is we bought 7 of the Large soft Flour Tortilla (8 count). BTW Burritos are like snowflakes, no two will look alike!!! LOL.
A roll of wax paper cut into about a foot long sections along with some gallon zip-lock bags.
We have a Laddle that is just right for us (You will have to find out how much is enough for your family) to put the fixing onto the Tortilla and roll up as a Burrito. Wrap in the Wax Paper to keep the from sticking to each other, into the Zip-locks and freeze them up for later in the year! My batch made up a meal and then 50 nice sized Burritos. John
picture.php

These are from an earlier Batch, but you get the drift! :D

I take it there would be no problem placing shredded cheese before wrapping and freezing? That is not a bad gig, John!
My wife makes a mean round of elk tacos (I call them burritos). I bet she could do the same using your general recipe thus the impulsive insta snack, lunch option...

Cheers, John!

Yeah, We just grab one pop it in the Microwave, then add sour cream, cheese and hot sauce. Add chips and you are set! Try it, you'll like it! LOL John

Thanks for sharing the recipe. I have the feeling that a bunch of these are going to show up in my freezer soon.

Nice pile of burritos there. We do something similar, only we add eggs etc. to make breakfast burritos. Cheese works no problem when frozen. I've tested out a few with sour cream and guacamole that took freezing very well. Try various brands of tortillas till you find the one that comes out of the freezer the best.

Good recipe, I like it. Gave me an idea on what I need to go with the several pounds of deer burger I have left from last season. I hope to add another one to the freezer tomorrow as it is Ohio's muzzleloader season opener.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheWolf
Back