Utah question

cornfed

I have never really looked into hunting in Utah or applying there as it seems everybody complaines about the odds as well as other things. Is it really that bad? I'm asking because my brother is transfering to the new scheels store in the Salt Lake area and now I have an excuse to go there. Any thoughts on Utah?

Poor to dismal odds (insert Lloyd Christmas quote here). And you must sign an affidavit before applying that you will have no less than 10 people in your hero shot. This is strictly enforced.

Some of the worst odds in the west. $65 license to apply plus $10 per species. If ya got money to burn, go for it. Im in too deep so I keep applying. I don't expect to ever hunt in UT

But if you ever get an Elk tag over there.....

I have a buddy that guides in central Utah and the elk over there are unreal. I went for a week just to watch and it was the most amazing hunt I've ever been on. To hear a 340" called a dink and not even worth looking twice at is something when coming from Colorado

Keep in mind that there are two draw systems in Utah. The "limited entry" draw has dismal odds if you are just starting out. The "general draw" is a preference point system rather than a bonus point system, and you can draw a tag with a couple of points in some areas. I've heard that the general hunts can be a zoo, though.

I started applying in Utah 3 years ago at the age of 41. I figure it will cost me less than $1,000 in licenses and points before I draw a decent elk tag and I expect to draw one tag before I'm too old to hunt.

Cheaper than Nevada and Arizona for building points, that's for sure, but I started Nevada last year and I would expect to be hunting elk in Nevada before Utah. Arizona is the one I shouldn't have ever started applying for, but I'm thinking maybe if I hunt a lower end Arizona unit I might have a chance at drawing a tag there every 10 years or so.

I started applying in Utah 3 years ago at the age of 41. I figure it will cost me less than $1,000 in licenses and points before I draw a decent elk tag and I expect to draw one tag before I'm too old to hunt.

Cheaper than Nevada and Arizona for building points, that's for sure, but I started Nevada last year and I would expect to be hunting elk in Nevada before Utah. Arizona is the one I shouldn't have ever started applying for, but I'm thinking maybe if I hunt a lower end Arizona unit I might have a chance at drawing a tag there every 10 years or so.

You can do a whole lot better than that in AZ if you don't apply for "premium" hunts. Look at Buzz, who has drawn 3 elk tags in 4 years, and has killed nice bulls with the first two. People get caught up in the hype of the premium hunts, but I think you have a better chance of killing a big bull if you hunt a less desirable hunt 5-6 times in your life rather than once in a premium unit (unless you hire an outfitter).

I am pretty sure the SFW guys have move my name to the top of the list for next year, so I plan on hunting elk or sheep in Utah, come 2013.

Or, since I have the antelope needle in so deep, I could burn my max UT pronghorn tags and shoot one of those.

Thanks for the replies. Thats what i figured, no extra cash here and a lot of good states closer and cheaper plus I don't think I can round up the ten people to be in a hero shot so I quess I'll pass on hunting Utah and maybe just visit someday.

It's a marathon, not a sprint

You still have a chance in Utah despite the bonus point lottery system. I drew a Book Cliffs muzzle loader deer tag two years ago with only 5 points and I just drew a muzzle loader bull tag for the Oquirr Stansberry unit with only 3 elk points for 2013. It was the first year they offered a tag in the unit for non residents and I think no one noticed because I drew the one tag available. Just don't think your going to draw a Henrys Mountain tag on the first year. It just takes consistency and studying the odds a little. It also helps if you are willing to hunt with a muzzleloader or bow.

Wyatola, I live right by the oquirh mountains if your in need for some info let me know, lot of private on the east side. As far as out of staters looking to hunt Utah look at draw odds dont set your sites on the premium units, those are almost impossible odds. I have a cousin from Michigan that drew a le elk tag with 3 points for this fall. I drew the same tag last year with 12 points. And the 65 dollars for a big game license to draw is not bad compared to other state fees. Im starting to put in for Nevada where the big game license is 140 a year.

as a non-res the general deer dont appear to bad of draw odds compared to the top limited entry areas.i had a good time in utah on my gen muzz deer hunt last year.

The biggest deer I have ever seen was last fall on a general season deer unit in Utah. All 190+. Granted it was in an archery only area and the terrain was insanely steep. I didn't have a tag but I found lots of bucks worth chasin. Plus you can go back and hunt the front durring the rut. It's got lots of pressure but so does broadus the third weekend in November.

As for elk, if you can wait 8-10 years and shoot a muzzy then you can hunt elk on public land in units where 320-360 bulls are not uncommon.

Lots of guys diss Utah but not all are like the mossback crew and the like. There were just as many guys in the posse that killed that big ram in Montana last year as the elk you see on the web in Utah. Plus if you ever get a good le tag then you will get tons of help from lots of strangers both online and in person. Most guys know they are years away from drawing so they will lend a hand whether you run into them on a forum, gas station, or on the hill.

I have never really looked into hunting in Utah or applying there as it seems everybody complaines about the odds as well as other things. Is it really that bad? I'm asking because my brother is transfering to the new scheels store in the Salt Lake area and now I have an excuse to go there. Any thoughts on Utah?

Tell your bro welcome to Utah and feel free to PM me if I can be helpful.

There are lots of opportunity for non-resident hunting if your goal is spending time with your brother. General elk is split between any bull and spike units. I prefer spike because I get a kick out of watching monster bulls run around. Cow tags are also numerous.

One word of caution is avoid units that are mostly private land. There are several units in northern Utah and near Price where every year first timers are frustrated because drawing the tags was easy and they have no access. These units are actually flagged in the hunting regulations for your information.

Odds reports can be daunting but people hit the lottery. I burned my luck drawing a cow buffalo first time in and a goat tag five years later also first time in. Now I'm sitting on 13 elk points and can't get drawn. Oh well it will happen someday.

Scheels is near my home and amazing store. I think he will like life in Utah and come out to hunt with him.

You still have a chance in Utah despite the bonus point lottery system. I drew a Book Cliffs muzzle loader deer tag two years ago with only 5 points and I just drew a muzzle loader bull tag for the Oquirr Stansberry unit with only 3 elk points for 2013. It was the first year they offered a tag in the unit for non residents and I think no one noticed because I drew the one tag available. Just don't think your going to draw a Henrys Mountain tag on the first year. It just takes consistency and studying the odds a little. It also helps if you are willing to hunt with a muzzleloader or bow.
There are some pretty good bulls on that unit. Don't be afraid to look at the lower elevations. I know of a few good bulls that were shot in October down in/near the greasewood flats. Plus you can go to BFE in the evenings! ;)

If you look at the regs and apply at the right time, you only have to purchase a license every other year. I've done it the last few years. The license is good for a calendar year and if you apply late in the time frame the first year then you have until the same time the following year to purchase your points for $10. $80 for 2 years for one species isn't bad at all. Drew the Book Cliffs with my buddy for deer in '06, it was a good hunt. Plan on using ML for elk, better NR odds.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brady1988
Back