PEAX Equipment

Utah pronghorn worth the effort?

LoveBirdDogs

Utah pronghorn worth the effort to hunt there? I have a family member that lives in Utah can they apply for a tag and then give the tag to me? Never hunted Pronghorn Randy makes it look like a great hunt.

Thanks!

You'll need to check the UT regulations to see if it is legal for someone to give you their tag. Here in NV it is illegal to use someone else's tag.

You'll need to check the UT regulations to see if it is legal for someone to give you their tag. Here in NV it is illegal to use someone else's tag.
I went through the regs on the Utah.gov website and could not find anything about giving or donating a tag to someone.

If you are an adult, pretty sure the answer is no. Any reason why you cannot apply yourself?

IMO, it depends on where you want to hunt them in UT. It took awhile, but I'll be hunting them in a place I spent a lot of time for work in a previous job. For me it's more about the where than the what I'm hunting on this tag.

If your hunting Utah anyway and building points there. Then add Pronghorn, otherwise I'd say no.

IMO, it depends on where you want to hunt them in UT. It took awhile, but I'll be hunting them in a place I spent a lot of time for work in a previous job. For me it's more about the where than the what I'm hunting on this tag.
+1
e.png

From the 2020 regs:

f you are successful in obtaining a big game or antlerless permit, you must have it on your person while hunting. You cannot alter your license or permit, nor can you sell, transfer or loan either of them to another person.

If that wasn't the case, draw odds would be astronomical!

If you are an adult, pretty sure the answer is no. Any reason why you cannot apply yourself?
I have no points in Utah. Looking to cheat the point system. At age 57 not a lot of years to wait on points. I will look at group hunt tags as well. I have family in Utah, Texas and Colorado. I live in MI and I have put in for the Elk hunt here but I will probably die of old age before I get a tag.

If it's just about getting to hunt "something," cruise this forum a while. There are over the counter elk tags in lots of states (including Utah, by the way), easy draws for cow elk tags in lots of others, etc. You can (at least right now) hunt antelope every year in Wyoming if you go about the draw properly. So don't worry about cheating the system, just expand your strike zone a tad and there's a world of opportunity.

If it's just about getting to hunt "something," cruise this forum a while. There are over the counter elk tags in lots of states (including Utah, by the way), easy draws for cow elk tags in lots of others, etc. You can (at least right now) hunt antelope every year in Wyoming if you go about the draw properly. So don't worry about cheating the system, just expand your strike zone a tad and there's a world of opportunity.
I was interested in pronghorn in particular and was hoping a tag from a family member could be a route. Plus I would have a place to stay. Elk is not big on my list but I would not discount it. Was hoping for luck here in MI with elk. I had great luck on MI bear archery I drew the first year I applied. That was 30 years ago and I have not drawn again since.

I will say this, just because it isn't in the regs, doesn't mean you can do it. If its like NC, Our Regs are the highlights! I would call Utah Division of Wildlife and get them to tell you that it is legal. Just my $.02
Our NC regs trip me out. Like it will say in the regulation digest that it’s specifically illegal to shoot a fox crossing a highway in a specific county or something. I look at it and go I’m pretty sure that law is the result of once particular incident that went to court. 😂

I was interested in pronghorn in particular and was hoping a tag from a family member could be a route. Plus I would have a place to stay. Elk is not big on my list but I would not discount it. Was hoping for luck here in MI with elk. I had great luck on MI bear archery I drew the first year I applied. That was 30 years ago and I have not drawn again since.
Basically it will cost you $75 for the license to apply and $10 application fee. $85 a year for several years and you can do it. Some units in Utah aren’t that bad odds for speed goats. I apply because I apply for everything else in Utah and it’s only an extra $10.

I have no points in Utah. Looking to cheat the point system. At age 57 not a lot of years to wait on points. I will look at group hunt tags as well. I have family in Utah, Texas and Colorado. I live in MI and I have put in for the Elk hunt here but I will probably die of old age before I get a tag.
If you're looking to "cheat the point system" it's super easy if you have a pile of cash you're looking to get rid of.

If you're looking to "cheat the point system" it's super easy if you have a pile of cash you're looking to get rid of.
A guided hunt is not totally out of the plan but I would want to make sure the state makes the guide pay for a guide licences. I do not like the idea of a guide using public lands to make money and not paying the state back for the use. Here in MI a fishing guide has to purchase a licence but not a guide on land.

Why not buy a pref point this summer and apply in WY next year? WY’s a shorter drive for you than UT, and it has 100x the antelope opportunity.

Anybody that wants to hunt lope should go to Wyoming. Fun hunt and easy. I lived in Utah for over 20 years and always wanted to go. Moved to Wyoming and hunted them every year. No need to apply for LE hunts if you only want to shoot a lope.

Back