Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Utah pronghorn worth the effort?

A guided hunt is not totally out of the plan but I would want to make sure the state makes the guide pay for a guide licences. I do not like the idea of a guide using public lands to make money and not paying the state back for the use. Here in MI a fishing guide has to purchase a licence but not a guide on land.
A guided hunt for pronghorn in UT on public lands will still have the same draw/points hurdles as if you were doing it yourself. If you want to "jump the line" in UT, you're best bet is to buy a tag/hunt from a CWMU that has pronghorn tags.

Pronghorn hunting states should not be limited by where you have family. If you are going to apply for LE states for pronghorn and are over 50 years old, there are two states with no preference points I would look at before UT.

YOu have been pointed at one of the 3 states I'd think building pints for pronghorn is worthwhile for someone of our age. I think a 5 year planning horizon is reasonable. .

The special draw in WY allows you to pay more for (usually) better draw odds so you can hunt the unit you want sooner. Not exactly cheating, but does give you a leg up on other applicants.

The only way to jump the line is to scratch a check at an auction for a big game tag or find a buddy with a lot of points who is willing to apply as a group with you in a state that will average your combined points rather than use the lower of your individual points at the draw number. You can't be handed a Utah tag in someone else's name. If you could do this then every hunter would be paying to put their non-hunting buddies and families in for sheep, etc, every year.

Utah is not worth your time as an older non-resident hunter and really in my opinion no matter your age. First of all, Utah is stingy on non-resident tags. Look at sheep tags. they stole non-resident tags to use in the welfare show that is basically a way to launder money to use outside of the laws that would apply if Utah tried to spend those same funds. Second of all, if you apply for multiple species in Utah then if you draw pronghorn then all your other choices are not considered for more desirable (for most of us) critters such as goat, sheep and bison. You draw dead once get that first limited tag in a year and they start with the less desirable species.

Go to Wyoming. The Wyoming leftover pronghorn buck draw is open right now and if you hustle and apply this week then you likely could score a buck antelope tag for later this year which will be challenging to hunt since the reason is leftover is there is limited access to land that holds pronghorn. Avoid going until the first two weekends have passed and the rodeo clown show will calm down and you may fill that tag. In a couple of months can pick up a preference point in WY for buck pronghorn that will open up some slightly better hunts to try and draw a tag in the regular draw for 2021. The more points you amass, the more units you are able to likely draw though any pronghorn unit will award some of the tags in the random pass so in theory you could draw a blue chip tag next year.

Go to Wyoming. The Wyoming leftover pronghorn buck draw is open right now and if you hustle and apply this week then you likely could score a buck antelope tag for later this year which will be challenging to hunt since the reason is leftover is there is limited access to land that holds pronghorn. Avoid going until the first two weekends have passed and the rodeo clown show will calm down and you may fill that tag. In a couple of months can pick up a preference point in WY for buck pronghorn that will open up some slightly better hunts to try and draw a tag in the regular draw for 2021. The more points you amass, the more units you are able to likely draw though any pronghorn unit will award some of the tags in the random pass so in theory you could draw a blue chip tag next year.
1593192911237.png

The only way to jump the line is to scratch a check at an auction for a big game tag or find a buddy with a lot of points who is willing to apply as a group with you in a state that will average your combined points rather than use the lower of your individual points at the draw number. You can't be handed a Utah tag in someone else's name. If you could do this then every hunter would be paying to put their non-hunting buddies and families in for sheep, etc, every year.

Utah is not worth your time as an older non-resident hunter and really in my opinion no matter your age. First of all, Utah is stingy on non-resident tags. Look at sheep tags. they stole non-resident tags to use in the welfare show that is basically a way to launder money to use outside of the laws that would apply if Utah tried to spend those same funds. Second of all, if you apply for multiple species in Utah then if you draw pronghorn then all your other choices are not considered for more desirable (for most of us) critters such as goat, sheep and bison. You draw dead once get that first limited tag in a year and they start with the less desirable species.

Thank you for the info. Info is what I need.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back