Utah Hunt expo -SMH

Wife and I are headed down. She got her hair bleached and a size too small pair of jeweled jeans. I got some new lizard skin boots, skinny jeans, and a new stetson. I think were good.
pic or it didt happen,,

My, aren't we all so special? Reading this thread, I would have thought I was eavesdropping on the snobby tittering of a group of high school "mean girls" deriding those not in the cool crowd. I guess the HT illuminati have spoken and we all need to fall in line.
I visited the expo and saw people in camo, just like I do everywhere in the West and South - yes, even in Montana. I prefer to see it differently. I see fathers and children in similar camo and imagine the child's excitement in getting to dress up with dad and go see all of the mounted animals, guns, and booths that speak of maybe-some-day dreams and hoped-for adventures. I see aging men in camo who may not have the health or comrades to venture far into the hills anymore but want, on this one day, to feel a part of the hunting community again. Yes, I also see young guys in expensive camo but maybe also wanting to declare their open allegiance in some way to a threatened way of life and sense of outdoor identity. But, based on the time invested in the thousands of posts you guys make, my guess is that your camo doesn't get much of a workout in the open air either.
Unfortunately, the sophomoric commentary in this thread is a disservice to a valuable conversation and, instead, suggests an inability to muster a meaningful argument. Certainly, there can be mature discussions about the policies of different groups, the commercialization of wildlife and the outdoors (a grand irony on a website festooned with sponsor ads), and public lands policy but there is precious little in this thread that rises above arrogant, juvenile taunts and not so thinly veiled derisive religious epithets. And, regarding commercialization, just as Randy's worthwhile advocacy for public hunting policy requires financial support in the form of commercial interests (unless he's decided to rely exclusively on a Go Fund Me campaign that I haven't heard about), and just as RMEF's worthwhile goals require support of some commercial enterprises (judging by the embarrassing volume of junk mail promotions I get from them), and the list could on and on. There is, simply, an uncomfortable marriage of convenience between commerce and wildlife that sustains most of the organizations and causes that we value. As with most things in life, there is a line. We can debate where that line should properly be drawn but silly ad hominem attacks don't lead to enlightenment.

My, aren't we all so special? Reading this thread, I would have thought I was eavesdropping on the snobby tittering of a group of high school "mean girls" deriding those not in the cool crowd. I guess the HT illuminati have spoken and we all need to fall in line.
I visited the expo and saw people in camo, just like I do everywhere in the West and South - yes, even in Montana. I prefer to see it differently. I see fathers and children in similar camo and imagine the child's excitement in getting to dress up with dad and go see all of the mounted animals, guns, and booths that speak of maybe-some-day dreams and hoped-for adventures. I see aging men in camo who may not have the health or comrades to venture far into the hills anymore but want, on this one day, to feel a part of the hunting community again. Yes, I also see young guys in expensive camo but maybe also wanting to declare their open allegiance in some way to a threatened way of life and sense of outdoor identity. But, based on the time invested in the thousands of posts you guys make, my guess is that your camo doesn't get much of a workout in the open air either.
Unfortunately, the sophomoric commentary in this thread is a disservice to a valuable conversation and, instead, suggests an inability to muster a meaningful argument. Certainly, there can be mature discussions about the policies of different groups, the commercialization of wildlife and the outdoors (a grand irony on a website festooned with sponsor ads), and public lands policy but there is precious little in this thread that rises above arrogant, juvenile taunts and not so thinly veiled derisive religious epithets. And, regarding commercialization, just as Randy's worthwhile advocacy for public hunting policy requires financial support in the form of commercial interests (unless he's decided to rely exclusively on a Go Fund Me campaign that I haven't heard about), and just as RMEF's worthwhile goals require support of some commercial enterprises (judging by the embarrassing volume of junk mail promotions I get from them), and the list could on and on. There is, simply, an uncomfortable marriage of convenience between commerce and wildlife that sustains most of the organizations and causes that we value. As with most things in life, there is a line. We can debate where that line should properly be drawn but silly ad hominem attacks don't lead to enlightenment.
You can't go to the expo and have a good time without wearing camo?

You can't hunt without wearing camo?

Intuitively obvious those attending a hunting expo are most likely hunters...I don't need the camo to confirm it.

Might want to try a size larger undies...yours seem tight.

“Snobby tittering.” 😂 That’s a good phrase. I like it. Well done.

I rather fancy using it myself in the future. Picture me in my Sitka vest at my proper tea table while I give my butler instructions.

“My good man, please prepare me a spot of tea and a crumpet. I am about to log into Hunttalk and engage is some snobby tittering to mock the Utardian habit of dress.”

😂

All the garbage on the internet and this is the thread that offends you? You’re missing the point…the backlash isn’t really about camo, it’s the BS commercialization and bros backslapping over poached animals that these events pimp. A little light hearted jab by the OP is hardly scathing.

“Snobby tittering.” 😂 That’s a good phrase. I like it. Well done.

I rather fancy using it myself in the future. Picture me in my Sitka vest at my proper tea table while I give my butler instructions.

“My good man, please prepare me a spot of tea and a crumpet. I am about to log into Hunttalk and engage is some snobby tittering to mock the Utardian habit of dress.”

😂
Snobby tittering and now Utardian habit. Awesome. mtmuley

Everybody here that has attended a BHA Rendezvous knows there's plenty of camo, hiking boots, stuffed packs, flat brims, requisite Ryan Callaghan moustaches, and other stereotypes there as well.

It's been pointed out that WSF and RMEF have hunting shows and auction tags through Utah's Conservation Permit program. Somebody above mentioned the PA hunting show has plenty of camo there also.

My point is that it's just a little light-hearted ribbing from fellow hunters, don't let it get to you. If anybody truly thinks the camo at the Expo is different than anywhere else, that's their own ignorance. Just take it with a chuckle and dish it back in a friendly manner. We're all just sitting around a virtual campfire shooting the breeze.

With that said, my wife and I went to the Expo on Friday (sorry, no hunting paraphernalia worn, just a Nike sweatshirt); I've got to admit... SFW/MDF put on the best show I've ever been to. It was 10x better than SCI in Vegas last month.

PS. I appreciate the quality of your writing 👍🏻

Imagine if all the time, money and hours spent at this thing was put into being out actually doing some sort of conservation work/project.
Exactly and that's part of what motivated me to post about it in the other thread.

I know these things raise a lot of money but they also allow for a form commercialization of wildlife that people justify as conservation. But if we're being honest, most of these folks are probably less interested in the concrete results they're funding, and more interested in flexing their wallets at tags that most people can't afford and probably can't draw the old fashioned way.

I've been to too many Ducks Unlimited banquets and seen people who I know IRL aren't even active hunters leave angry that they didn't win a Yeti cooler or a reprint of a duck painting. There's apathy at best to what the org does with the money as long as I get to win something, hopefully worth more than my admission cost or the ticket I bought for a steak dinner. That apathy gives the same orgs room to use or misuse the money as they see fit, and while obviously some do an excellent job there are others that don't.

I'm cynical but I think expos like this wind up existing for tons of purposes that don't have shit to do with conservation and that they often give folks excuses NOT to engage in meaningful conservation work like that which you describe.

Another rabbit hole, but it's similar in my mind to the Rinella army repeating truisms about Pittman-Robertson and the NAM as if that means we all get to ignore the real holes our 85 dollar NR license fees won't patch. I say that fully admitting I have been that person before myself.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back