Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Utah Bull, with pictures :)

Moosie

Grand poopa
OK..OK… I don’t have a lot of time but I think some people are getting anxious for a few pics. I’ll keep this story short but our Wyoming trip will linger on with a lot more pictures.

Thursday 13th was a tough day at the office working. We weren’t able to leave till very late and We arrived in Utah Friday morning at 3AM. With 1.5 hours of sleep, Browtine shows up and we head off scouting. We saw several bulls with Browtine calling a non typical bull in. That evening, IDB shows up from his Wyoming hunt and we go for an Evening scout.

Earlier in scouting trips we’ve seen a lot of bulls but the evening prior to the hunt we see nothing. No Big bulls, no little bulls… heck, not even a cow. The next morning I start Glassing before daylight. Mostly for affordable Diesel for the rig but I’m looking as hard as a guy can look !!

utah_3.JPG

Later that morning with little sleep we hit the ground running. After several hours into the hunt, and nothing being seen, I’m wondering if the elk had regulations and knew I was showing up !!

We head to a new spot late in the morning and see several bulls. Getting late into the morning, we decide to let the bulls bed down and go after them in the evening. IDB and me head off into a hole that we heard bulls at in the morning and started glassing:

utah_1.JPG

As you can see there is thick cover and although we got within 15 yards of the elk at times we never seen them, just heard the bugling and tree scraping. We were glassing Bugling bulls from the ridge and heard some good bulls. But never seen them.

We spotted a great 6x6 but decided not to go after it. It was a 330 class bull that I would have been happy with but it was a long ways off. We were sure it would be there the next day if we left it alone.

The next day, we go back into that area and split up. Browtine had a friend “The Chief” with a tag and I had a tag and went with IDB. We talked to Browtine a couple times that morning via radio and finally he said they located a good bull and they weren’t going after it though. The Chief is in his 60’s and a great guy. Physically he knows his limitations and were the bull was spotted he said he couldn’t get to in enough time. Knowing it would be a mad dash and physically tough we decided to go.

So, We packed up our stuff, got back into the truck and drove over. Dumping everything we had of any weight we started sprinting up the canyon without packs, water, or anything. Fortunately I had IDB with me to keep me going. Even a good bull isn’t enough energy when you don’t get enough sleep and are out of shape !!!

We got within 340 yards of the bull and it was in some thick trees. There was no way to get any closer so weWe saw the cows with it but had a hard time seeing the bull. Finally it came out. I knew I was going to take a try at it. It got out in a clearing for a few minutes and we have lots of video of it. Right when I was ready it turned to chase a cow and went back in. It was hard seeing it and I only had several glances at it. There was never a Shot chance. Finally it came into a little clearing and with the adrenaline running through me, although I had been watching it, I ended up with a Quick shot and missed. The next couple hours (Minutes only but seemed like forever) the bull was moving back to where it was earlier not knowing what the sound was. Bulls were still bugling and it was rounding up some cows. Bryce saw it in an Opening and I swung the gun over to it. I lined up and when it turned broadside. KABOOM !!! This time it wasn’t a trigger pull. It buckled on the spot.

A lot of funny things happened and we’re going to put some Video up later of the trip but here is a a long over due picture of the Critter :

utah_2.JPG

We’ll have a lot more pictures and stories but work is behind and we’re planning a Wyoming hunt next week. Sorry the pictures took so long.

utah_4.JPG

Browtine is truly a Stud for helping me out. He talked me into putting in for this tag and I think he has weeks of scouting in for me. He helped pack out the beast and made the trip fun. Very fun. I owe this trip to him. I also owe IDB huge thanxs for spending 2 days hunting with me on his way back from Wyoming. Giving up precious hunting time to help a friend is hard to do, but it was a Kick “A” time. He also swapped out a hind quarter with my heavy pack with the elk head on it from me because he’s a Stud and a half !!! Hopefully next week when I’m in Wyoming with him I can help pack out his elk !!

utah_5.JPG

Thanx guys !!!

Congratulations on a great looking bull, Oscar. Sounds like you have great friends.

Well done and a fine critter....I can smell those tenderloin steaks right now....damn I can't wait for my trip to WY later this winter. Congrats and looking fwd to the "rest of the story".

Cheers, Roadtrip

Man, look at the size of the body on that pig. I bet you couldn't put your arms around that huge neck ;) .

Congrats Moosie and company on a great hunt! I can't wait to see the video.

It's about time. Great job Moosie and Kudos to BT and IB for the tag along

This was , for me, a Bull of a lifetime. Prior to this, My montana Bull comnig in at 312" was my best. This one beats that by alot. We haven't put an official tape on this bad boy yet but with a fairly good tape got around 358". So those that said go 350 or bust are hopefully proud ;) If not, screw ya cuz I am :D :D

It's at the taxidermist right now but I have the antlers. The size of the rack is a little decieving because the body was fetching huge !! I'm not usually one to talk about an Animals body size but this guy was un-friggin real. He reminded me of my AK moose.

Anyways, Was a great hunt and we had a great time. I think a few more pictures will surface real soon to cause peopel to giggle as well :p

Next.... Wyoming.... :D

Great job guys.

No pics with pink flip-flops? WTF.

Moosie, now you can tell all those pretenders to lick your sack. That is a real stud bull.

Congrats!

This was , for me, a Bull of a lifetime. Prior to this, My montana Bull comnig in at 312" was my best. This one beats that by alot. We haven't put an official tape on this bad boy yet but with a fairly good tape got around 358". So those that said go 350 or bust are hopefully proud ;) If not, screw ya cuz I am :D :D

It's at the taxidermist right now but I have the antlers. The size of the rack is a little decieving because the body was fetching huge !! I'm not usually one to talk about an Animals body size but this guy was un-friggin real. He reminded me of my AK moose.

Anyways, Was a great hunt and we had a great time. I think a few more pictures will surface real soon to cause peopel to giggle as well :p

Next.... Wyoming.... :D
No problem buddy on the assist. It was a great hunt and can't wait for the next adventure. Congrats on a great bull.

I also can't believe the size of the bull. By far the biggest elk I have ever seen on the ground, body size.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back