USFS suddenly shuts public roads prior to elk hunt

MTGomer

Due to predictions that it may not be sunny and clear this weekend, above the rim, the USFS has taken it upon themselves to protect protect people from themselves by closing hundreds of miles of public roads. These are not just minor spur roads that you should be walking down anyways that many hunters would like to see go away, these are major arterial roads that provide access into the units.
I do not have a rifle tag, thank goodness but I’d be livid if I did. The people I know who do, are pretty upset. Arbitrary, bureaucratic nonsense is what this is. This ‘extreme’ weather is..gasp... snow. At 7000+ feet in late November. What a novelty.

“Due to the extreme weather event moving in for Thanksgiving weekend, we are going to temporarily close all the forest roads on the Mogollon Rim Ranger District as of close of business today, November 26th. This includes all the roads on the north/west and the south/east sides of Hwy 87, as well as the roads down Lake Mary Road. We will also be closing the roads on Hwy 260 West located on this district. The roads north of milepost 308 will remain open, which means that the Pinyon Pine Christmas tree area at milepost 310 will also be open, but keep in mind highway conditions may prohibit travel. The Flagstaff District, as well as the Black Mesa District of the Apache-Sitgreaves Forest, will also be temporarily closing many roads.

We understand there is the big Bull Elk hunt beginning Friday, and that it is Christmas tree cutting time, but it is in the interest of public safety that we have decided to close the roads. This is considered a temporary closure, but we do not know when the roads will reopen at this point, as it will depend on how much snow was received and the condition of the roads. We will evaluate the conditions on Monday, and make a decision on when and if we will reopen the roads.

This was a very challenging decision to make, but after much consideration, we felt that the public’s safety must absolutely remain the highest priority. We wish all of you a Happy Thanksgiving, and most importantly, a safe one. If you have family members planning to come up north for the holiday, please advise them that road conditions may prohibit travel on the highways.

Thank you for your patience, and please call the number below if you have any questions.

Amelia Galuski
Customer Service Representative

Forest Service

Coconino National Forest, Mogollon Rim Ranger District

p: 928-477-2255
f: 928-477-5057
[email protected]

8738 Ranger Road
Happy Jack, AZ 86024”

From my understanding it means closed as well. Not travel at your own risk or ride your four wheeler, snowmobile, UTV or e bike equipped with ski paddle turbo wings , it means do not drive on, and if there is a gate they’ve shut it.
Is that incorrect?

Wearing a furry bunny Russian outfit. Like some scandanvia bride. Wait till she gets all the instafoxdrudge hate mail comments. Lol

I’ve had the “pleasure” of dealing with the USFS a lot this past year for different projects that I’ve been involved in. There are some great people that work there, but they are drastically outnumbered by the dipshits they share an office with. They sure don’t provide much of a “service” anymore....

The only way I could remotely understand a mindset in favor of this, is if there was some sort of previous catastrophe last time it snowed there.

The forest service can close places down for public safety. An example would be closing down sections of forest due to wildfire.

All that said I think it’s ridiculous.

Headed on a 4 day outing this summer and roads were closed due to fire danger.
No fires,just the danger of fire.My brother and his family from Virginia had to spend their
vacation sweltering in Phx. 🔥

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back