USFS suddenly shuts public roads prior to elk hunt

Dan O

The USAF UH-1 helicopters are not rescue helicopters, I wonder why a MTARNG medivac helicopter, with hoist and flight medic wasn’t called?
MAFB has well over 300 hundred rescues to date. They do have a hoist and have used them many times for the mission to succeed.
Dan

Straight Arrow

The USAF UH-1 helicopters are not rescue helicopters, I wonder why a MTARNG medivac helicopter, with hoist and flight medic wasn’t called?
Montana Army Guard aviation does not routinely assist with civilian medevac or search and rescue, unless under unusual circumstances and at the direction of the Dept of Military Affairs and/or the Governor. Malmstrom AFB has a UH-1N twin engine helicopter unit that routinely participates in search and rescue missions, mostly in central Montana but wherever they are requested.
(For full disclosure, after US Army active duty I spent twenty-five years in the Montana Guard, many of those years as an Army Aviator.)

ismith

Montana Army Guard aviation does not routinely assist with civilian medevac or search and rescue, unless under unusual circumstances and at the direction of the Dept of Military Affairs and/or the Governor. Malmstrom AFB has a UH-1N twin engine helicopter unit that routinely participates in search and rescue missions, mostly in central Montana but wherever they are requested.
(For full disclosure, after US Army active duty I spent twenty-five years in the Montana Guard, many of those years as an Army Aviator.)
I have to admit I knew the answer to the question before I asked it. I just find it a bit funny that there are over $100 mil+ worth of Medivac UH-60Ls and UH-72s that rarely if ever get used in that role in state. Instead, they are used to fight forest fires, while a handful of 40+ year old USAF helicopters, whose primary mission is supporting the missile silos, are called on.

Hunting Wife

I would be on board with a system where by the agency may issue a travel warning, but things remain open. If people choose to go out anyway during the warning, fine. But if they need a rescue during the warning, they should foot their own rescue bill. After a couple of examples, I think most people would start making better decisions about their abilities to operate in those conditions. And those who are skilled and prepared aren’t automatically barred from going out.

2rocky

How quickly some people forget.....

hank4elk

It's gotten "Real Western" here today...rained on the snow then heavy wet snow piling up.

ShootsManyBullets

So how much snow did they get in Flag?
We got dumped on up there last year and got around fine with quite a bit of snow. It's the F'n wind that makes it miserable there.

hank4elk

2Rocky linked one article. Trees down on roads compounded by deep wet snow.
18"-24" I heard right before this storm, & they get feet of snow.
I've seen 5 feet in Flagg. AZ GF closed the office outside town on Lake Mary rd. today. Last weather video I saw @ 5pm showed more than a foot new & snowing in town. Windy.

Last edited:

MTGomer

2Rocky linked one article. Trees down on roads compounded by deep wet snow.
18"-24" I heard right before this storm, & they get feet of snow.
I've seen 5 feet in Flagg. AZ GF closed the office outside town on Lake Mary rd. today. Last weather video I saw @ 5pm showed more than a foot new & snowing in town. Windy.
I believe that article is from 2009, and he was using it as an example of what can happen.

It sounds like there’s about a foot in Flagstaff and about 8” in Pinetop

OverlordBear

If you let them back there take away their cells phones and Inreach emergency communications and then open the roads. If people know there will be no rescue they will use adequate caution. The problem is we as a society continue to bail out stupid people. Accept the risk and manage it. If you are reckless and negligent then oh well that is on you. It is just like making cops carry narcan to save junkies. If they od and no one bails them out maybe less people will be junkies due to the inherent risk. I wish this logic was applied across the board.

MTTW

Some day they will close all eastern MT back roads when rain is in the forecast. For your own good, of course.

We regret to inform you that all unpaved roads east of Billings will be closed until further notice on account of a major rain event in the forecast. We just don't have enough helicopters to rescue everybody and get them back to work on Monday. Sorry, we feel bad, this is just a no win situation. In the past people have got stuck and made ruts in the roads and whatnot, and we can't afford to grade them. Trust us, you will be better off at home.

dirtclod Az.

Some day they will close all eastern MT back roads when rain is in the forecast. For your own good, of course.

We regret to inform you that all unpaved roads east of Billings will be closed until further notice on account of a major rain event in the forecast. We just don't have enough helicopters to rescue everybody and get them back to work on Monday. Sorry, we feel bad, this is just a no win situation. In the past people have got stuck and made ruts in the roads and whatnot, and we can't afford to grade them. Trust us, you will be better off at home.
Kinda like Az. 🔥

hank4elk

I believe that article is from 2009, and he was using it as an example of what can happen.

It sounds like there’s about a foot in Flagstaff and about 8” in Pinetop
Feels like winter 10 years ago too. There was snow on ground before this storm.
But what do I know,except I'm 4 hrs away & will not be getting THE CALL anymore.
Good luck & good hunting.
14deg & windy here,rained on the snow then a few inches blew in. Nice & crunchy.

antlerradar

With all the moisture we have had in SE Montana this year the roads on the Custer are a disaster this year. Some of the two tracks across the prairie are more like six tracks in many places as people drove on the sod to avoid the mud. As much as I hate to see the recourse abused I am not for shutting down the roads every time it rains.
Shutting down public land for safety should only be used in when absolutely necessary. This could easily become a slippery slope. Should we ban all out of boundary skiing or rock climbing? I think not.
Sometimes public safety is cited as a reason for a closure and the people backing the closure have other motives. (I am thinking WY wilderness guide rule) I hope this in not the case in AZ.

Last edited:

Falcon75

Hunt clint's well from the highway or anywhere along there. Just drive at dusk and try not to get one. That's why my hunting truck has a tape player not a mp3. A 4 thousand dollar bullet is a lot easier to swallow than 45-50,000.
I do like idea that give warning and if need help really have to pay up.