Upland Birds...

DBaker

Hey Guys, I am getting interested in getting into upland birds and dog training. Any and all information would be great. What shotgun yall taking out this season?

Well,

Not really sure where to start you off, if this is all new to you. My advise would be to figure out which breed of dog your interested in, and get to know a local reputable breeder. Most of the guys that run field trials and such with their dogs, have a bunch of money and time invested into doing such. If you can find the right guy, this can be invaluable, as far as it goes with the training of the dog, and even yourself. There is a bunch of time involved into training a dog to be a good field dog. I'm sure there are books out there that you could start with, not sure right off hand though of any titles. Maybe someone else will chime in with some ideas...

Personally, my opinion is, if your looking for the all around best upland breed out there the German Shorthaired Pointers are second to none....

Just some food for thought.

Oh, and as far as guns go. I won't leave home without my trusty Remington 870 Wingmaster. My best hunting buddy as well as my dad have tried out a couple of the higher dollar rigs that are available over the last 6 or 8 years. Benelli's and such. Both are looking to go back to the 870... I've really enjoyed the years of knocking down my limit plus the better majority of theirs.... :D

DBaker,

The field is wide open ahead of you. Will your pursuits be strictly upland game? If you want a dog that will do waterfowl as well, stick with the retrievers. If upland only,there are alot of options on dogs, but basically can be grouped in 2 main groups. Flushing and pointing dogs.

Flushing breeds include the labs and springers. The popular pointing breeds are German shorthair, Brittany, German Wirehair, Visla, Weimeraner, pudelpointer. The sky is the limit as far as budget.

I firmly believe you can get a quality dog for $500 or less. This may qualify as blasphemy, but you don't need an AKC dog to be a top notch hunter. My first introduction to chukar hunting in Idaho was over a brit/gsp mix. That dog was a fine tuned hunting machine. The result of your dog is directly equivalent of the amount of time and consistency of training. For a training guide, I recommend Wolters' book Gun Dog. Videos are available as well. Read the book a few times BEFORE you get serious about dog shopping.

For guns use whatever you feel comfortable with. Single, double, pump, auto. Doesn't matter what name is on the shooting iron.

Myself, I have a little GSP and shoot a Beretta auto.

flushing/pointing...

Flushing and Pointing dogs, I understand that flushing dogs just go running around looking for the dogs with out really stopping compared to point dogs hunt the birds and come still in till the handler releases them. What other difference are there, how does the difference in style of hunting differ.

Again guys, I am 21 with a couple more years of college to go. I have never done any kind of hunting before and I am thinking upland bird, waterfowl or turkey is what I want to start out with. Thanks for the information.

Dbaker.

Feed the desire to hunt. Hopefully it will turn into something very good. Bird hunting is a great place to start. Typically more action, and not too expensive to get into.

Do you have someone that will take you out hunting? That is certainly the best way and makes for some good times. Of course, if you go hunting with the wrong person it could be miserable and potentially dangerous.

For a first dog with the possibilities of upland and waterfowl I'd go with a lab. In my opinion they are easier to train and a little more goof proof. Don't go buy a dog though just for hunting. You've got to be a dog lover and plan on 10-15 years of dog ownership.

Or as I've heard it told before. "My favorite hunting dog has always been, somebody elses". ;)

Lab's are a good all around breed to start out with, especially if like you say waterfowl will be in the mix. Hunting dogs are great! They bring you a wonderful sense of accomplishement and satisfaction watching them progress in their training. Just be ready to spend the time necessary in order to have one worth it's salt in the field. As T-Bone said, you'll want to be sure you really are ready to take on the resposibility. 95% of the year, my dog ain't worth the cost of dog food I feed her... Still love the spoiled lil girl though...

thanks guys, I understand everything you'll are saying...Dogs have been a apart of my life and always will be...Are there any good books/videos to start off with?

Richard Wolters is the authour. Gun Dog is the book for pointing breeds. It's been around for 30 years or so. Your local public library will likely have it. It also has an accompanying video.

Water dog is the book by the same author for retrievers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sinhba
Back