Best Dog Crate for Truck Bed?

Mountain Man

Hey everyone,

My family is getting a new dog and I wanted to see if there are certain brands of dog crates I should take a close look at or avoid. The crate will be in the back of the truck bed with a topper. Main pursuits will be waterfowl and upland. Any insights would be much appreciated.

I don’t know that there is a best. But I’ve been using a pair of Dakota 283 kennels for the last 3 years. They will last my lifetime and beyond. Extremely well built. My dogs have logged over 40,000 miles cross country in them. Reasonable cost, worth the investment.
ChaseA6861FA5-C8F5-4954-AEBF-C6E7BB6F3397.jpeg

First concern is ventilation under the topper. Dogs are more likely to overheat than suffer from cold.

I like boxes made from dura-bond aluminum sheet. They're sturdy but light.

I'm pretty frugal so I've always gone with the $60 kennel at the local hardware store.
No complaints and I've been using these types of kennels for 40+ years.
I usually have 2 for each dog...1 stays in the bed of the pickup, the other stays in the house.
I can fit 2 kennels side by side inside a Ford Escape because one is 24" wide the other 22" wide,
for 2 labrador retrievers.

If you fly your dog, remember to put those kennel dishes somewhere you will remember.
Some airlines require them in the kennel when flying the dog.

Ruffland. Pretty good value, safe, customizable (1 door or 2), good ventilation, have grommets for strapdown anchors, and compatible with Mud River insulated covers for cold weather. I also like that the door easily comes off for situations where you want to use the crate as a doghouse. My pup is 65 pounds and fits in the large size. Much bigger than that and you'll probably want an XL.

I bought mine at Cabela's, which was another plus--not having to wait months for it to be shipped. I think many sporting goods retailers have them in stock.

We went with a lucky duck. Stout tie down points. Lockable latch. Good ventilation as well as good ventilation option with their cover as well. If you watch the sales at Cabelas you can get them at a reasonable price.

I'm pretty frugal so I've always gone with the $60 kennel at the local hardware store.
No complaints and I've been using these types of kennels for 40+ years.
I usually have 2 for each dog...1 stays in the bed of the pickup, the other stays in the house.
I can fit 2 kennels side by side inside a Ford Escape because one is 24" wide the other 22" wide,
for 2 labrador retrievers.

If you fly your dog, remember to put those kennel dishes somewhere you will remember.
Some airlines require them in the kennel when flying the dog.
Same here. I still have the one I bought for our first dog 35 years ago and it works fine although we now use it for rearing chicks. I have had a couple others and never had an issue.

Hey everyone,

My family is getting a new dog and I wanted to see if there are certain brands of dog crates I should take a close look at or avoid. The crate will be in the back of the truck bed with a topper. Main pursuits will be waterfowl and upland. Any insights would be much appreciated.
What kinda dog you getting man???

Gunner followed closely by Dakota 283. They have metal doors and I feel like are going to offer the best protection in the case of an accident. I like lucky duck but I don't like the plastic gate. After that I would go ruffland.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back