Best Dog Crate for Truck Bed?

No prices listed in this thread so I thought I would add that.
I have 2 kennels in the pickup, 2 in the garage where the dogs spend the night.
So by purchasing $60 kennels at the local hardware store,
these 4 kennels total $240

Ballpark Prices for kennels size Large (each)
Ruffland $330
Dakota 380 $500
Lucky Duck $700
Gunner $900

No prices listed in this thread so I thought I would add that.
I have 2 kennels in the pickup, 2 in the garage where the dogs spend the night.
So by purchasing $60 kennels at the local hardware store,
these 4 kennels total $240

Ballpark Prices for kennels size Large (each)
Ruffland $330
Dakota 380 $500
Lucky Duck $700
Gunner $900
No way would I buy any of those kennels for at home or in the garage. Those are all protective crates for traveling. My griff is in a wire crate at home.

I've never hear of Dakota 380. I wonder if that's better than the Dakota 283. 😉

No way would I buy any of those kennels for at home or in the garage. Those are all protective crates for traveling. My griff is in a wire crate at home.

I've never hear of Dakota 380. I wonder if that's better than the Dakota 283. 😉
Still quite the cost difference for my 2 labs...$120 for 2 inexpensive plastic truck kennels from the local hardware store
compared to over $1000 for 2 of the high end plastic truck kennels.

My griffon uses a medium Dakota and he's got long legs. Keep in mind your dog doesn't need tons of space. I wouldnt get an xl unless you have a newfie or something huge.
Yeah the crate really needs to only be big enough for them to be able to turn around and lie down. A too-big crate loses some of its protection in the event of a crash cuz the dog gets tossed all around inside.

I also have a $40 wire crate for home. But I feel a helluva lot better about my dog being in the roto-molded Ruffland than a cheap plastic crate in the truck bed if someone were to rear-end me or, heaven forbid, I roll down a mountainside.

If you have a topper, have you thought about just making a place in the topper yourself using a small amount of wood? I built a wood platform a long time ago something akin to the deckd system. I could put it in or remove it in 5 minutes which was nice. The dogs (sometimes up to 4 depending on who was coming along) would have the upper area and below was storage. That way the topper windows could be opened or closed depending on weather. I have some pictures I can find if that is of interest.

I doubt a wood homemade job is going to withstand a rollover or impact.

I doubt a wood homemade job is going to withstand a rollover or impact
I agree with you. You are right. But neither will the cheap option suggestions. From what I have understood and/or have gathered from the the interwebs, the only reasonably safe spot there is in the back seat of a crew cab or spend the money necessary for a crate with tie down system. Front seat is bad (air bags). Most the time, there were 2-3 ruff land kennels that fit in there for me and 3/4" TG wood for riser. Just depends.

If you have a topper, have you thought about just making a place in the topper yourself using a small amount of wood? I built a wood platform a long time ago something akin to the deckd system. I could put it in or remove it in 5 minutes which was nice. The dogs (sometimes up to 4 depending on who was coming along) would have the upper area and below was storage. That way the topper windows could be opened or closed depending on weather. I have some pictures I can find if that is of interest.
I appreciate the offer, but don’t have time for a project like that at this phase of my life.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back