Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

upland strap vest recommendations?

nastynate

I use a traditional upland vest I like most of the fall, but it can be warm early season, so I'm looking for one of those strap vests where there isn't much upper body material besides the shoulder straps. My dog drinks a ton, so besides being orange and holding dead birds and some ammo, good water holding capacity is important. Any suggestions on vests you like (or don't) that fit the bill?

I really like my Final Rise vest. Really comfortable, I can carry a hydration bladder for me and two 1 liter bottles for my dog. You can carry two additional water bottles in some side pockets on the game bag as well. Good modularity if you want to add accessories, and it’s made in the USA. It’s on the more expensive side, but it’s been worth it for me.

I’ve got about a 15 year old vest from maybe Cabela’s and my had my MIL sew pockets into the back panel where I can fit two 30 oz bottles that I can reach back and grab easily. Easy to find sturdy material and strong thread and any decent seamstress can help you customize a vest. Don’t be afraid to think outside the box too. No need for a $150+ vest

Go with the original vest that every other company tries to copy. Go with wing works. Check their web site, I know they slowed down for a while as somebody there had health issues. Mine is 12 years old and looks like brand new but except for the blood stains.

That final rise looks awesome, but, would quickly become my most expensive piece of clothing. I have a onX elite (multi state thing) and they throw in a hat and extra gear pouch if you buy it through them. But I'm going to look around a bit more or just sweat through the early season in my old vest....

If someone is willing to spend the cash, the Wingman B2 Pro by Pyke is as good as a person will find. I hunt and band with some guys that have them and I'm envious. My next vest may will be one. All of their clothing is top notch (top dollar) too. I'm currently running the L. L. Bean technical upland, my second one. My future gear will be Pyke.

Damnit you guys. I just ordered the final rise (10x what my last vest cost, granted that one was 15 years ago) and will soon have a vest that rivals my shotgun in value. But I guess I asked for it by starting this thread. I both feel really excited and dirty all at once. I was talking about how stupid expensive it was to my gf and she mentioned her friend routinely pay $300 for hair dyes. She was NOT trying to convince me I should buy it, but that's really what put me over the edge. Money well spent I hope.

Damnit you guys. I just ordered the final rise (10x what my last vest cost, granted that one was 15 years ago) and will soon have a vest that rivals my shotgun in value. But I guess I asked for it by starting this thread. I both feel really excited and dirty all at once. I was talking about how stupid expensive it was to my gf and she mentioned her friend routinely pay $300 for hair dyes. She was NOT trying to convince me I should buy it, but that's really what put me over the edge. Money well spent I hope.
I ordered one as well based on this thread and others reviews I read. I chalked it up as a birthday present to myself and cheaper than a new to me vintage SxS shotgun. Vest is supposed to arrive today, stoked to get my hands on it.

I recently bought one of Filson’s mesh game bags. I have had their tin cloth game bags for many years and love it. With the recent inheritance of a 20 gauge I decided to separate the gauges into different game bags after pulling a dumb one last year and I brought out the wrong shells to what would have been a perfect morning jump shoot.

I hunt with a backpack.
Not the one in my avatar, but a Granite Gear Crown2
60 liter capacity and weighs 2.2 lbs.
I use it from hot Sept hunts through cold December hunts.

You will have absolutly NO regrets with your new purchase. A lot of good bird gear mentioned in this thread but you will have no second thoughts about if you should have gone with something else.

The one I got after my other vest shrunk on the hanger.

As much because of the blaze orange requirement from the DNR.

IMG_0942.png

Another vote for Final Rise. It carries a lot of water, has spaces to carry phones, GPS, transmitter, pliers, first aid, tp, etc. with a belt and suspension that make carrying the weight a breeze. I got it for Chukar hunting and couldn't be happier.

Back